PDA

View Full Version : Mail to Okinawa?

Mike A
08-05-2009, 7:54 AM
My younger son has been deployed to Okinawa for about four months now and has not recieved any mail from us (including an IRS refund check). None of the mail has been returned to us, either. He has checked locally thru his platoon command to see what's wrong, but hasn't got any useful answer.

I know better than to approach the USMC (or my congressman directly)--my kid wants a career. Does anyone know a better way than first class mail to get thru to Okinawa? UPS won't send anything to his FPO. Should I send stuff registered mail or return reciept? Any experience, advice greatly appreciated.

haiedras
08-05-2009, 8:55 PM
That is a little strange. I'm assuming the response your son has gotten amounts to: "We'll check into it."

Unfortunately, from what I remembered, USPS is the only way to get things to an APO/FPO address. Having it registered or return mail can help, at least from a tracking perspective.

If there is something that seriously needs to get through, if your son knows anyone offbase who has a non-FPO address, then he could get it sent there.

Mike A
08-06-2009, 6:00 AM
thanks, Haledras. That is exactly the response he's gotten. Unfortunately his gunny (and most of the rest of his platoon) is deployed "elsewhere" and so he can't get much advice. Don't think he knows anyone off base yet, but I will try the registered mail route (with something not very important so if it also goes into the black hole, it won't be missed.....). You're right: FedEx and UPS don't service FPOs.

lazyworm
08-06-2009, 6:34 AM
I saw a thread that Soup is in Okinawa too.

here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=176849)

may or may not help with the mail situation, but at least
your son can meet a calgunner.

joeyriv
08-06-2009, 10:22 PM
I might be able to help you there. PM sent...

badreligion
08-07-2009, 9:06 AM
Mike it sounds like your son is cut off from where the main body of his platoon is. If that is the case more than likely his mail is getting forwarded to thier location and when they return they should be bringing his mail back to him. It kind of su*ks that he was left rear party for whatever reason and his mail is delayed getting to him.

Okinawa is a pretty cool place to have all kinds of adventures if someone is willing and able to get away from the barracks. I lived there for 2 years when I was with the 12th Marines back in 95-97, I had a blast.

Mike A
08-18-2009, 7:03 PM
Sent some books registered mail to my son since it can be tracked online and I can at least find out where it is going (where it is stopping?). It seems that part of his platoon is deployed (to the PI????? He won't say....) and mail may be going to them. Thank God for "Skype" software and being able to talk to him for an hour or so by phone via his laptop! Otherwise his mother would go nuts! He gets our emails but his responses are very curt and guarded....not sure why. When he's on the phone he talks about everything BUT his job. He finally got permission to take overnight liberties on island, so is finally doing a few non-work (we civilians call it "fun") things. But the weekly phone calls are great--feel like I got my kid back!

joeyriv
08-19-2009, 12:28 AM
Aha.... if he's off island, registered mail cannot be delivered unless it is flown by an american carrier (airline)... just a thought. If he's still on Oki, it's still a mystery. Hope he gets his mail soon.

bshnt2015
08-19-2009, 6:26 AM
I was stationed there way back when and it's always been slow. I think it's typhoon season right now. Is he on a float-ship bound? If so snail mail will be slow.

Mike A
08-19-2009, 6:32 AM
He's still on Oki. But I suspect that part of his command structure and platoon are involved in our "discussions" with abu Sayyaf. I'll probably never know.

But it's interesting; his great grandfather fought the "Moros" in the same part of the PI from 1902 to about 1910; my father was born there and could always speak some Tagalog (Pilipino). And Islamic suicide tactics didn't start in the 1970s; the Moros used them back in the early 1900s. My grandfather killed one of these "juramentados" (with a shotgun...the .45 auto hadn't been issued yet).

biglou
08-19-2009, 8:51 AM
This is strange. I was stationed on "The Rock" way back. One thing about the Marine Corps is keeping morale high. And mail from home is a top priority. If his main body is in the PI (Phillipine Islands) they should be forwarding the rear party their mail. His Staff NCO should get ahold of the Admin Staff NCO and correct this. If all else fails he can talk to a Chaplain about this problem. A Chaplain will keep everything confidential, and get an answer. Thanks for your family's service, Semper Fi !

Mike A
09-09-2009, 9:02 AM
My son has finally started getting his mail, although the stuff sent months ago hasn't shown up yet. I guess it may when the rest of his platoon gets back from wherever they were deployed. But at least I can get books and other extras to him now.

Thanks for your information and concerns--I really appreciate it!

haiedras
09-09-2009, 1:33 PM
Glad to hear your son's finally getting his mail through!