View Full Version : Looking for opinions on the Witness .45

B Strong
08-05-2009, 4:59 AM
I've owned a CZ75 and an AT88, but never a Witness.

I'm thinking of picking up a Witness .45 fullsize.

Any experiences pro or con would be appreciated.

B Strong
08-05-2009, 4:09 PM
Couldn't resist, Picked up a used .45 Witness w/ three mags. It's in the ten day jail, and I'll post a full report after I get it home and apart, and then the range.

Always wanted a more modern .38 super, and I'll be able to build one out of this.

08-05-2009, 4:35 PM
I'm jealous! I want an Elite Match 45. The Witness line are excellent CZ style guns (made by Tanfoglio in Italy)) for great prices; too bad they fell off the CA roster. I have a Tanfoglio TZ-75 Series 88 I got back in the day for less than $300; it's one of the most accurate if not the most accurate 9mm's I've ever owned/shot.

Post some pics for us to drool over once you pick it up!:thumbsup:

08-05-2009, 6:04 PM
Not a Witness, but I'd love to get a CZ 97B.

I had an EAA Witness in .40...back in the day when I was young. I'm not a kid anymore. Sometimes I sit and wish I was a kid again. :leaving:

Blue Label
08-05-2009, 6:18 PM
I got a basic EAA Witness 45 and it's a great pistol. No issues and it's been very accurate for me. It's a bit on the heavy side but it handles the recoil well. Can't go wrong for the price.

08-05-2009, 8:10 PM
Do yourself a favor. Check out their website. You will find that they offer caliber conversions starting at about $200? in 22lr, 9mm, 40S&W, 10mm, 38 super, etc... for your handgun.

It is an excelent investment and I deeply regret selling mine here two years ago...
I will snap up the very next one I see for sale in my area without hesitation in any manner.

I found mine to be extremely accurate, reliable and an incredibly good deal while I owned it.

08-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Not bad at all for a budget 45 ACP.

B Strong
08-06-2009, 5:35 AM
Well, I'm already off into the deep end...

Rather than .38 Super, I'll be going 9 X 23, and I already have mucho parts lined up, including converting it to SAO, extended ambi safety, etc.

I'll do a little test fire in .45 after I pick it up, but after cleaning it's going to be in limbo for awhile.

I've done the custon 1991/BHP thing many times, it will be cool to work on a new design.

A new challenge is just what I need right about now.

08-06-2009, 6:49 AM
Let us know if you find a cure for the crunchy Witness trigger, thats the only complaint I have about mine.

08-06-2009, 8:09 AM
...back in the day when I was young. I'm not a kid anymore. Sometimes I sit and wish I was a kid again. :leaving:

Ahmad, is that you? :)

08-06-2009, 10:40 AM
You won't be sorry about getting the Witness. I bought a .45 full size and then installed a 10mm kit. The felt recoil is less than from the Glock 20, so the big steel frame does help soak up some of the recoil. It shoots well in .45 also. There's some impression that the Witness handguns are lower quality guns because they don't cost as much as other brands, but from shooting my Witness along with CZ-75B and a Glock, the Witness is just as reliable and functional as other brands. Maybe EAA should double their prices so some owners can feel better about owning the guns?

08-06-2009, 7:50 PM
Let us know if you find a cure for the crunchy Witness trigger, thats the only complaint I have about mine.

I put in a EGW ultimate prepped single-action trigger (http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/egw.html).
It's like a good revolver trigger: Light and crisp. Henning told me that keeping the double action was also an option. Henning is a great guy to work with.

08-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Been shooting mine since the early 90s. Many thousands of rounds through it. It's still my favorite. Like most triggers it smooths out over time, or you can easily do a little polishing to help it along.I shoot mine in both .45 and .38 Super.

B Strong
08-07-2009, 5:33 AM
I've got 9 x 23 dies coming...

I haven't been this excited since the Smith .500 came out.