PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have an opinion on the CZ 75B

gigante
08-04-2009, 6:07 PM
Hey All, I'm in the market for a full size 9mm that isn't plastic(already have those) and was considering the CZ 75B. Anyone have any first-hand knowledge or opinions on this piece. I've had a Beretta 92 and am not really interested in it, nor am I considering a 1911-style in 9mm. I know that, ultimately, I've got to be comfortable with it, but I would certainly appreciate your input.

jimmythebrain
08-04-2009, 6:20 PM
The CZ 75B is a great gun. They have a better feel in the hand than a Beretta 92 FS (I have both). My hands are medium sized (7.5 surgical glove size to be specific) and the 75B fits perfectly with the rubber grip panels. The pistol is metal not a plastic-metal hybrid so the weight is quite a bit more than a glock.

These are full length, relatively heavy guns and work very nicely for range use. Mine is every bit as accurate as my 5 inch Dan Wesson Pointman 7 1911 pistol (in my hands). Too heavy and big for concealed carry for me...180 pound 5' 9" tall guy.

I would buy another one in a heart beat provided that the price was reasonable. I certainly would not pay an inflated price to get one of these.

Z ME FLY
08-04-2009, 6:26 PM
Great gun... good trigger. Go to the range and rent one and fall inlove lol

M47_Dragon
08-04-2009, 6:34 PM
Love the feel and accuracy of the CZ-75. My only complaint has always been the small slide height. I just need more to grab onto, I guess.

jmlivingston
08-04-2009, 6:37 PM
These are excellent 9mm's, and traditionally they've been a great value for the price. I don't know what they're going for these days, I've had mine for probably 5 years or so.

The rubberized grips from the factory are awesome, definitely worth the upgrade. I have these as well as a custom pair of wood grips made for me by Hakan Pek. Both are awesome, but I admit that the rubber ones would be my "go to" grips.

John

AlexDD
08-04-2009, 6:51 PM
Love mine. Put some hogue grips on it. Also, bought the .22lr kit.

It is one of my favorites to practice. Start with the .22 then end the session with 9mm.

sd1023x
08-04-2009, 6:52 PM
cz-75 = SOLID! Proven design.

zoid52
08-04-2009, 6:52 PM
One of my most favorite 9mm's beside my Browning hi power. Get one ; you wont regret it.

leelaw
08-04-2009, 6:55 PM
CZs are some of the most undervalued firearms available. I really don't get why they don't get more credit - they deserve more.

The egonomics are excellent, and the pistols are robust and long lasting. The trigger might not be for all, but it's fairly easy to get it polished (and still cost less than a different factory gun).

Z ME FLY
08-04-2009, 6:57 PM
Love the feel and accuracy of the CZ-75. My only complaint has always been the small slide height. I just need more to grab onto, I guess.

No, I had the same problem when I was shooting a lot and my hands got sweaty. The SA trigger and dead on sights outweighed that problem.

andalusi
08-04-2009, 7:02 PM
Anyone want to weigh in on the 75 SA?

Kingofthehill
08-04-2009, 7:08 PM
have several and love them!... the most accurate pistol I have 15+yards out. I have 1 in 9mm and 1 .40 with a Kadet .22 conversion kit for them... They are awesome.

Very 1911 like with a huge aftermarket parts/upgrade support for them. THe slide is kinda weird to get used to since it rides inside the frame, not outside like your more traditional pistols but its very slick IMO.

I think they are extremely overlooked (same as the Baby Eagle, EAA Witness's).... I have not had a single problem with one and will always have one in my stable.

JOe

Kingofthehill
08-04-2009, 7:11 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/14263ko.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/rwlb1i.jpg

rivviepop
08-04-2009, 7:12 PM

Love it - the stock trigger has quite a bit of travel take up (creep, whatever you want to call it) that could benefit from a trigger job. The mag brake is drop free style, extended beavertail and nice solid steel recoil guide rod (half length). I've shot with in steel matches, IDPA and USPSA and it's never let me down. I have shorter thumbs (smaller hands) so find that the safety is a tiny bit of a stretch to hit really fast when coming out of a holster, if I could change anything it would be to make that part bigger/longer rearwards.

8200rpm
08-04-2009, 7:24 PM

It's a fun and pleasant gun to shoot with a very ergonomic grip. The single action model has a nice extended beavertail not available on the DA/SA models. The magazines drop free unlike the DA/SA models which employ a mag brake.

However, DON'T expect the trigger to be like a 1911.

The take up is similar to the SA take up on any DA/SA gun... light but long.
There's noticeable sear creep because the hammer hooks are HUGE. Aftermarket competition hammer from CZ team shooter, Angus Hobdell, will solve that. CZcustom.com
Reset is like regular DA/SA gun on SA.
It's essentially a DA/SA gun with the DA disabled.

Wild Bill
08-04-2009, 7:47 PM
As others have said the 75B is as solid a 9mm you will find. I have the 75bd and it is one of my favorites to shoot. Even the wife enjoys shooting it and she is 5ft tall and small hands.:thumbsup:

Rambo, John J.
08-04-2009, 7:50 PM
I bought my CZ-75B for a very good price sometime around the year of 9/11 when it seemed like they were almost giving these CZ's away. I could not pass it up. For that price, it is a great value. Not sure what the price is right now.

The machine work is beautiful. No scuffed up marks on it.

No jams on it yet.

If you don't have a long trigger reach, the double-action trigger can be a problem. Also, I believe the stock trigger needs work on it to make it like a 1911.

Rust
08-04-2009, 8:47 PM
Like mine a lot (40 sw).
Only complaints I have with the design are the small slide surface not giving the shooter a lot to hold onto to rack it, and the beaver tail is a little low if you have meaty hands. I find that it digs into the top of my hand when I'm shooting it. The SA and SP-01 have a higher sweep and are more comfortable in my opinion.

wildhawker
08-04-2009, 8:49 PM
Everything Leelaw said, I'll echo. Have fun out of the box with the best value in metal frame pistols; when you're ready, have Frank at Irvington, Matt Mink or Angus Hobdell do a trigger/action job, FO front sight and remove the FPB and be in DA/SA heaven.

8200, they may not be a custom 1911, but our SP-01 [ex]production guns (FPB rule change :() have a pretty damn exquisite SA and are more pleasant than 1911s of greater cost.

If you'd like to check out what some of the above work feels like on our SP-01s, I'd meet you at Reeds or Target Masters after work sometime.

SCMA-1
08-04-2009, 8:57 PM
They are well made and reliable pistols; they used to be excellent values (CZ-75B SA 40 for $315 in 2002) but now pricing is inline with most other big name brand pistols which detracts from their overall value although they are still excellent pistols. Rent one at an indoor range first before buying to make sure it works for you.

SCMA-1

!@#$
08-04-2009, 9:35 PM
now that SIGs QC has gone the way of kimber i view the cz75 as the best metal frame 9mm service pistol out of the box.

Hayashi Killian
08-04-2009, 9:48 PM
Guy I knew in college had one, he raved up and down about it. That and it's been one of the most cloned/copied pistols out there says something about it I think...

8200rpm
08-04-2009, 9:59 PM
8200, they may not be a custom 1911, but our SP-01 [ex]production guns (FPB rule change :() have a pretty damn exquisite SA and are more pleasant than 1911s of greater cost.

I have no doubts that the CZ can be easily massaged to have a nice SA trigger. But out of the box, the SA trigger is just okay... not bad, but not 1911 crisp.

I had a bone stock, brand new, $600 (1998) entry level Kimber that had a sweet trigger. Little take up, crisp break, miniscule reset. 1911's don't need to be custom to have a nice trigger. I'm not trying to argue that a 1911 is necessarily a better gun. I'm just trying to describe the out of box trigger for the OP.

lmudave
08-04-2009, 10:17 PM
I have a CZ75bd... It is by far my favorite Pistol. Ergonomically excellent, extremely accurate, and nice and solid feel to it. i have sigs, rugers, a springfield 1911, etc.... My CZ will always stay with me! Get one if you can for a good price!!

andalusi
08-04-2009, 11:11 PM
I have a CZ75bd... It is by far my favorite Pistol. Ergonomically excellent, extremely accurate, and nice and solid feel to it. i have sigs, rugers, a springfield 1911, etc.... My CZ will always stay with me! Get one if you can for a good price!!

Another CZ question for those in the know: those of you have the 75 BD, why did you pick that one over the standard 75 B?

Thanks to those who answered my questions about the 75 SA, by the way!

jammer2k
08-05-2009, 9:18 AM
Have owned my 75b for over 2 years now and still cannot find anything to complain about. Solid and reliable gun, during its first few hundred rounds it was a little finickey regarding ammo but since it has been broken in it has eaten everything I have thrown at it.

As for the 75bd, I would like to get one since on some of the training classes and such being able to decock without having to have my finger on the trigger is a bit of a plus

bombadillo
08-05-2009, 9:20 AM
Love them. I can make cans dance with ease at 25 yards and they just blow my mind for accuracy. One day i'll snag one. I get to shoot my buddy's but it does have some extraction issues and a couple of failure to feeds in the time i've seen it. I don't know what it tells you, but I would use it for a range queen and trust my life to something else until those problems were rectified.

Fantasma
08-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Oh man I love my CZ75B SA! So accurate, it fits the hand so well....

My number one go to gun.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/calguns_2008/DSC00141-2.jpg

Vacaville
08-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Feels the most natural in my hand of all the semi-autos I've held.

Ninja45
08-05-2009, 1:22 PM
Solid, Reliable, Accurate, Priced Right!

Get one and shoot it a lot. It will smooth out after a thousand rounds!

-hanko
08-05-2009, 2:45 PM
One of my most favorite 9mm's beside my Browning hi power. Get one ; you wont regret it.
This.

Col. Jeff Cooper (say what ya' want about him;))said that the Hi-Power and CZ75 were the best combat 9mm's in the world. You'll discover both guns seem to fit most hand sizes perfectly. CZ's never fail to go bang. At the cz's price, i don't understand the fawning over sig, hk, xd, etc.:confused:

hth

-hanko

Mail Clerk
08-05-2009, 2:55 PM
Hey All, I'm in the market for a full size 9mm that isn't plastic(already have those) and was considering the CZ 75B. Anyone have any first-hand knowledge or opinions on this piece. I've had a Beretta 92 and am not really interested in it, nor am I considering a 1911-style in 9mm. I know that, ultimately, I've got to be comfortable with it, but I would certainly appreciate your input.

I like mine although I haven't shot it for a good while. It is a different pistol that'll hold your interest for your battery.

Mail Clerk

leitung
08-05-2009, 3:42 PM
I can't get over the fact that slide looks like it was run over with a truck a few times. I just like a taller slide on my guns. Now reliable and worth the money, yes.. Pretty (IMO) no..

gigante
08-05-2009, 3:44 PM
WOW! A lot of excellent reviews and inputs. Thanks all. This is what makes this site great. I expected to hear some good reviews as I've never really seen a bad CZ review, but I also anticiapated seeing some plugs for other pistols. Regardless, I did purchase. $630 OTD. Not sure if it's a good price, but it doesn't matter that much with me. I try to stay loyal to the shop that treats me right (City Arms). I agree with a lot that has been said thus far-great feel in the hand, slide height, etc. as I did fondle it for a while I dig the Hi-Power look and wasn't worried about not having a rail. I'm satisfied with the purchase thus far, and based on what you all say, it appears my satisfaction will extend on to the range. I will share a range report as soon as...well, you all know how long that will take. I'm grateful to all for the input. If anyone wants to meet at Jackson Arms for the christening, let me know.

Kingofthehill
08-05-2009, 5:07 PM
OTD price isn't bad... sadly because of Dros and tax it really gets up there in price.

My 2 local shops are selling them for $579 and $549 + tax and Dros.... The price has come up in the past few years because people are finally waking up to them.

Their fantastic firearms IMO.... would be a little heavy to carry daily i bet but solid as a rock.

JOe

railroader
08-05-2009, 5:17 PM
Just a heads up Bud's gunshop is selling the 75b single action only for $449 shipped but they come with 16 rounders. I don't know if they will work with you on the mags and send it with 10 rounders. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_82/products_id/411536718 Mark

8200rpm
08-05-2009, 5:22 PM
Here's one with 10rd mags for $507 shipped.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_82/products_id/18383

Add transfer fee, DROS, and use tax, and you're looking at almost $650 OTD.

railroader
08-05-2009, 6:07 PM
Here's one with 10rd mags for $507 shipped.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_82/products_id/18383

Add transfer fee, DROS, and use tax, and you're looking at almost $650 OTD.
Go to Bright Spot for the transfer and it will be $567 out the door.
Mark

SCMA-1
08-05-2009, 6:11 PM
I can't get over the fact that slide looks like it was run over with a truck a few times. I just like a taller slide on my guns. Now reliable and worth the money, yes.. Pretty (IMO) no..

It's not that the slide is shorter than anything else, it's just that the frame rails are reversed (they're on the outside as opposed to the inside for most guns) which gives the appearance of the slide being very short. Only drawback is it gives you less purchase for drawing the slide back.

SCMA-1

kwest10
08-05-2009, 8:15 PM
I have the SA. From Buds. Just under 600 OTD through OC Armory. Despite the problem I had with it...it's still a awesome pistol. Don't know about the "value" rating. Maybe a few years ago when these things were significantly less but under 6 isn't bad at all.
Fits like a GLOVE.
First time out with it I was putting rounds through a golf ball sized hole in paper at 7-10 yards. It's SCARY accurate.

BiggSean
08-06-2009, 8:47 PM
Are there conversion barrels available for .40 CZ75s? I'd be interested in getting a .40 if I could purchase an aftermarket barrel and have the ability to also fire 9mm.

chefdude
08-06-2009, 9:55 PM
solid gun super acurate out of the box

Phil3
08-06-2009, 10:32 PM
My 75B SA was my first handgun, still have it. It is a keeper. It eats all the ammo I have given it without incident. Sights are a bit small, and trigger has some creep, but for the price, I can't complain. I love the ergonomics, the heft, and it is a pleasure to shoot. And looks good to my eye.

- Phil

randy
08-07-2009, 12:43 AM
CZ's are underrated and a great buy. Reliable, accurate, affordable.

sd_shooter
08-07-2009, 7:06 AM
You can get them here for well under $500 shipped, 10 rnd mag, 9mm:

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=19533

Got mine with all fees for ~$550.

rivviepop
08-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Are there conversion barrels available for .40 CZ75s? I'd be interested in getting a .40 if I could purchase an aftermarket barrel and have the ability to also fire 9mm.

I found a thread for you, as it piqued my curiosity:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71050

I found it interesting that the SP-01 barrel is a .40 chambered for 9mm; reading between the lines it would seem a standard (non-SP-01) 75B 9mm barrel is thinner at the wall than a .40 barrel, so you'd need some sort of bushing at the nose. (pause while I go open the safe...)

CZ 75B .40 S&W
0.550" outside diameter barrel at nose
0.080" wall thickness barrel at nose

CZ 75 SA 9mm
0.503" outside diameter barrel at nose
0.080" wall thickness barrel at nose

Based on the above link saying the SP-01 9mm barrel is 14mm/0.551", you could buy one of *these* barrels and drop it into a 75B .40 S&W slide and it would fit (with minor fitting at the lugs I'm sure). You'd also want a new 9mm extractor, which isn't the quickest/easiest part to replace on a CZ (compared to say a Glock or 1911).

FeuerFrei
08-07-2009, 12:12 PM
CZ75 design is a great gun.
Get the Hogue grips on it and maybe night sights and you will never sell it.
These are really good guns. Feels like shooting a 22.

BHPFan
08-07-2009, 1:27 PM
CZ 75B - A very underrated pistol.
A few years ago, it used to be a bargain. Now, not so much, but considering that it's all steel, it may still be a decent priced pistol.
Trigger out of the box may not be the greatest. So, either give it time by shooting lotsa rounds or have a trigger job done in order to smoothen it.
Because of its design regarding the way the rails for slide and frame are set up, it is a pretty sturdy pistol besides being made of steel.
For a full size pistol, it has one of the most contoured and comfortable grips.
Overall, it's a great pistol if you don't like alloy or polymer frames.

Ventura_Yak'r
08-08-2009, 7:13 AM
My goto 9mm. Reliable, accurate and underated... Shh! don't let the secret get out!

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr177/ruwako/CZ%2075B%20SP01%20Custom/000_0039.jpg

...get the trigger job... it's worth it!

Neverfox
09-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Two words: GET ONE!

~$600 for a CA-legal full-size steel 9mm that is famous for accuracy and reliability? Is there really anything else to say? FYI, Bud's has 10-round models at the best price. That's where I got mine.

Get the SP-01 and never look back; you won't have to.

randy
09-01-2009, 2:30 AM
This thread says alot about how good the CZ is. 5 pages and the only negitive comment was somebody thought the slide was ugly.

zman
09-01-2009, 9:16 AM
Another CZ question for those in the know: those of you have the 75 BD, why did you pick that one over the standard 75 B?

1). It's less common
2). Decocker baby!
3). It was the one readily available at that time. :D

Excellent gun! If you do get one, change the plastic grips to the CZ rubber grips....you'll love them!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/zandrolouie/Guns/CZ-75BD-1.jpg

maxicon
09-01-2009, 10:34 AM
One more +1! It's my favorite full-size 9mm.

It's my primary home defense gun - I've had 3 (gave one to a friend), and currently have two plus a Kadett kit. I got them all back when they were $300 and less - I should have bought more!

It's my second most accurate semi-auto centerfire, especially in unaimed shooting, after my 1911. This is without any trigger work, just the Hogue grips installed. Reliability is excellent. My only concern is that there are a fair number of small parts, but I've put many thousands of rounds through them with no problems.

If I were to buy another today, I'd get the railed version, and I'd consider a trigger job, but I like the long DA first pull (I keep it chambered, hammer down) in a home defense gun.

GoodEyeSniper
09-01-2009, 10:32 PM
+1 on the rubber grips. my cz 75 compact came with the rubber grips, and they are like sex.

dadoody
09-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Voted best 9mm for pistols under $550 by http://www.best9mm.com/

No idea who they are, but they provide good review.

They made it the main/favorite gun of the main character in a cartoon series, so why not?

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51F17ef5+aL._SS500_.jpg

yasushi
09-02-2009, 7:13 AM
Handled the gun the other day and really want to get one for my wife but the grip seems bit thick. She's used to shooting 1911's so I want to pick up a replacement grip panels that's really thin.

I've searched around and there were several recommendation for the stock rubber grip but seems that they're not that thin. And even using Hogue wraparound and cutting the wrap off and blending in the edge but I'm looking for thinner panels. Also found few recommendation for the CZ custom aluminum panels or Hakan's grips but they're pretty pricy at around $85 (for CZ).

Any of you guys swapped them out with thinner panels and if so what did you get and how do you like them? I'm really interested how they compare with the 1911 feel.
Thanks

CZ grips.
http://czcustom.com/cz-grips.aspx

Here are some nice photos of various grips.
http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=23291.15

And info on combined thickness.
"some measurements that might help. These are on a 75 frame ( same width as SP01 ) measured on the grip at the grip screw.
CZ aluminum are 1.115
CZ TS grips are 1.235
Hogue finger grip 1.247
CZ Thin Cocobolo 1.365
CZ Factory Rubber 1.400"

mblat
09-02-2009, 7:29 AM
The only negative comment I can think of is the fact that trigger reach in DA mode is fairly long. Somebody with small hands/short fingers will have a problem.....
Otherwise...... before price increase they were clearly best deal on the market. Now they are just competitive.... but still excellent.....

Ike Arumba
09-02-2009, 10:59 AM
The only negative comment I can think of is the fact that trigger reach in DA mode is fairly long. Somebody with small hands/short fingers will have a problem.....

Hooray! I'm finding that most guns seem to be built for people with small hands.

Fantasma
09-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Otherwise...... before price increase they were clearly best deal on the market. Now they are just competitive.... but still excellent.....

That is why you buy the better model from CZ which is the CZ75BSA....:cool2:

lol...

Z ME FLY
09-03-2009, 1:04 AM

lol...

When I had my CZ75, I would only shoot it in SA... That's why I would love a CZ75SA or a BHP.. I haven't shot a P01 yet but that looks sexy!

mblat
09-03-2009, 8:24 AM

lol...

Then why bother with cz? If you want something in SA only get 1911.. :)

But you got a point - most of the time I shoot mine in SA mode..... May be I SHOULD get SA version.....

MFortie
09-03-2009, 9:57 AM
Love my 75B! It's been to Jim Miossi so the trigger is very nice...