PDA

View Full Version : FNP-9 and other guns for small hands?

onikage
08-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Hi all. I've been looking for another firearm to purchase in 9mm. I shot a G19 and I was unable to get my hands around it. The backstrap sat against the very first joint in my thumb near the hand web. This caused horrible control and discomfort.

How does the grip on an FNP 9 compare? I understand it comes with two backstrap. I held one at a store an it felt slightly too large however I have no idea what backstrap was on.

I am 5'4" and 136lbs to give an idea of how smally hands might be.

Juicymeat
08-04-2009, 12:51 PM
The FNP's grip is a tiny bit bigger than I'd like it, but it is not overly large/blocky like a Glock. If you want something with interchangeable backstraps and aren't dead set on a FNP 9 check out a Smith and Wesson M&P9, the grip reminds me of a 1911.

ETA: Even though the FNP is slightly large, it's not that bad and I've shot it pretty well despite my smaller hands. It's large enough to let me have a lot of grip on the gun, but not large enough to interfere with a proper trigger pull. To give you an idea, even though my hands are small I can shoot a Glock 21 accurately and that thing is huge. Try it out at a range and if you really want to get a FNP and can shoot it nicely, I'd go for it even though its a little bigger than you'd like.

onikage
08-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Also please excuse the errors and this double post. I'm on an iPhone and don't see an edit feature.

leitung
08-04-2009, 12:54 PM
i liked the fnp 40 when i held it, i believe it has changeable backstraps to make it more confortable for different sized hands
however, i am a pretty big guy, so YMMV

onikage
08-04-2009, 1:02 PM
I'm not dead set on an FNP so I'll keep the M&P in mind. I'll try to get to the rental range again at some point. I was just trying to get a better idea of what guns to focus on as renting gets pricey and dissapointing when you hate the guns you paid for.

stix213
08-04-2009, 1:43 PM
Have you tried the GLOCK 26 yet? A further reduction in size in 9mm GLOCK compared to the 19 & 17. I have smaller sized hands and I thought it fit mine just fine, and actually brought a new one home just yesterday.

Pic of Glock 26, 19, & 17:
http://www.leelofland.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/glock_17_19_26.jpg

stix213
08-04-2009, 1:52 PM
I don't know where you are from, but Bullseye up in the north bay area you just pay for a lane and single gun rental and they let you trade between available rental guns without additional cost, last time I checked at least.

onikage
08-04-2009, 2:12 PM
The grip circumference looks the same on that G26, just shorter. I go to daves gun and archery in San bernardino for my rentals. They charge $12 per gun plus ammo. Last time I went and rented two glocks, 9mm and .40, including range time it was like $85.

Rambo, John J.
08-04-2009, 7:03 PM
You might want to check out the Kahr 9mm. Those are probably the thinnest profile in 9mm.

The suggestion for the pistols with interchangeable backstraps is an excellent direction for you to investigate.

omgwtfbbq
08-04-2009, 7:49 PM
I do really like the FNP-9 and it does have a smaller grip than some other pistols but as a counter suggestion, I would check out the Ruger SR-9. It has a very thin grip. It's a very solid pistol, doesn't break the bank, and has a thin grip but with an adjustable backstrap so people with larger hangs can still fire the weapon effectively.

I say check it out. I shot my buddy's two weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

onikage
08-04-2009, 7:52 PM
Ok so, Ruger SR-9, M&P 9, and a Kahr. Great suggestions guys! If you have more I'd appreciate it. I'm going to try to head to the range this weekend. I wish there was one closer that had kind of an "unlimited" rental thing hehe.

McCrown
08-04-2009, 9:13 PM
What size are you looking for?

Browning Hi-Power and CZ's (75, SP-01, P-01) have a smaller grip if that is all that you are looking for.

onikage
08-04-2009, 9:26 PM
At the moment I'm looking for just smaller grips.

C_1
08-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Beretta PX4
Browning Hi-Power
CZ 75
CZ P-01
CZ SP-01
"Baby" Desert Eagle
Heckler Koch P2000
Heckler Koch P7
Kahr CW9
Ruger SR9
Sig SP2022
Smith & Wesson M&P
Springfield XD

BHPFan
08-05-2009, 7:41 AM
At the moment I'm looking for just smaller grips.

I feel your main options are the single stack mags pistols (generally, they are less than 10 rds mag capacity). For that, you can get the Kahrs, the SW 3913 or 908 or the compact SIG P6 or P239. For the double stack (with std capacity of more than 10 rds) mag pistols, I recommend look for those with interchangeable backstraps, but make sure you can pull the trigger (in DA mode) on the smallest backstrap. Some of the pistols mentioned are great, but here is what I think:
Browning High Power: If you can find one and willing to pay a lot of $$$.
CZ's: Look for the compacts or subcompacts, but make sure you can pull the trigger in DA mode.
HK P7: Will suit you fine, but you better pay a bundle and spare parts don't come cheap either.
Springfield XD's: Not an interchangeable backstrap polymer gun, but backstrap is well contoured. You should give it a try.

For a small handed person like you, it's most important that you can grip them comfortably and your index finger be able to reach and pull the trigger.

C_1
08-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Yep, just like BHPFan stated, go with a single stack, or something with an interchangeable backstrap. And being able to pull the trigger in DA mode shouldnt be over looked.

I am about the same height and weight as you, and I was searching for a pistol for my small-ish hands, and I tried everything. I was going to settle on the S&W M&P9 but after I shot it, I didnt like it much. Started to fall for the Glock as I shot it more and more. Ended up getting a gen 2 Glock.

slik556
08-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Hey onikage, I have an FNP9 and got it for the way it felt in my hand. I have a rather small hand and of all the others pistols the FNP9 and the M&P felt good out of the showcase.... I have an M&P 45 and have the small backstrap on it. When you go to look at the FNP9 in say Bass Pro Shops they usually have the larger back strap on them. The small one has no shape to it at all. It is rather a straight up and down affair. Looks and feels real flat. There is a big difference between the two straps. If the larger one is on in the store and you are close on the feel the small one may be to small but if you fell the large is still a little to big then maybe the small one will fit the bill for you. Head to a shop that will let you put the small strap on the FN and see how it feels.. The Bass Pro Shops wont let you mess with the thing enough to change them out... Hope this helps

add:: If you like the FNP9 another great thing about it other than being a great functioning pistol is that it is one of the least expensive of the bunch

onikage
08-05-2009, 1:17 PM
@C_1: At least you were able to use the glock haha. In order to reach the trigger I had to situate it funny as I said in my OP. It was a sad day.

@slik556: Yea, I'll try to get down to a shop soon. I'm really hoping the larger strap was on the FNP when I handled it. I intend to rent the M&P9, FNP, and possibly the SR9 depending on if I feel like blowing more money.

DCF
08-05-2009, 2:52 PM
Smaller grip doesn't necessary mean a comfortable grip for a smaller hand. My hands are kind of small but the Sig 226 or 229 fits just fine.

I have tried Glock 17, Glock 19, FNP-9, Ruger SR9, HK p2000, springfield XD9, CZ 75B, and Beretta 92FS, and Beretta PX4 Storm before I settled on a Sig 226. I had a hard time choosing between a FNP-9 and a Sig but none of the shops have an all black FNP-9. Try renting some of the to try out and see which one feels and points natural. I am no expert but I went through the same experience a couple of months ago looking for the perfect pistol.

gunn
08-05-2009, 3:49 PM
Have you tried a Sig P225 aka P6?
It's a single stack mag so the grip is slimmer.
I believe it's classified as a "compact' frame vs. a subcompact (like the mini Kahr or Keltec 9mm)
The only downside is that the factory mags hold only 8rds.

C_1
08-05-2009, 3:57 PM
Try out a CZ 75, HK P2000, SA XD, S&W M&P, Ruger SR9, or a Kahr. I think those should fit your hand better than the Glock.

pullnshoot25
08-05-2009, 4:45 PM
Beretta PX4
Browning Hi-Power
CZ 75
CZ P-01
CZ SP-01
"Baby" Desert Eagle
Heckler Koch P2000
Heckler Koch P7
Kahr CW9
Ruger SR9
Sig SP2022
Smith & Wesson M&P
Springfield XD

AND THE MAKAROV!

zman
08-05-2009, 6:00 PM
You'll probably like the Kahr line...

http://www.kahr.com/imgs/mdtl_kp9093.jpg

----------

http://www.kahr.com/imgs/mdtl_cw9093.jpg

laguytoo
08-05-2009, 10:15 PM
I have the same problem. small hands.. The Hi Power is the best choice, but I was not willing to spend $750+ on a handgun yet...

My 3 finalists were: FNP9, M&P, XD9... The CZ75 now comes with plastic grips so that did not feel right... I settled on the XD, but honestly the SR9 Ruger fit the best in terms of feel...

Frostbite
08-06-2009, 7:29 AM
I didn't see anyone mention the Walther P99. Adjustable backstraps and even with the biggest insert, the grip seemed fairly slim to me. Great trigger and accurate as hell too.

Butter
08-06-2009, 7:54 AM
As a few have already stated, consider the index finger reach to the trigger, not just the slim grips. Small hands are relative as in everything else. I have shot Sigs and have handled CZs and in both cases the standard models are hard for me to cope with as far as trigger reach for the first double action shot.

I don't have problems with the M&P 9mm (own one) or the XDs I own. I can also handle the P225/P6 or the P239 in Sigs. A P226 with the standard double action makes me always cant the gun for the first shot since my index finger is just a little too far away to comfortably press the trigger back. And Glocks feel blocky to me, but they are good guns. A Glock 19 feels OK.

I also wouldn't discount a good 1911 that will allow you to get slim grips and the single stack handle fits most hands that I know, including mine, very well.

Oh, additionally, just because a gun has a different back straps does not mean that it will automatically feel slimmer to you in the reach to the trigger. That's what I found out about the Beretta Storm....so I sold that one. And if you can, try before you buy, just because you can manipulate the trigger and controls while dry firing will not automatically mean that this will work for you when at the range.

SCMA-1
08-06-2009, 8:40 AM
The grip circumference looks the same on that G26, just shorter. I go to daves gun and archery in San bernardino for my rentals. They charge $12 per gun plus ammo. Last time I went and rented two glocks, 9mm and .40, including range time it was like $85.

That's expensive for gun rentals. If you don't mind making the drive, Insight Shooting Range in Artesia has a flat rental fee of $10 which entitles you to every gun in the cases (they have a HUGE selection of rental handguns), range fee is $15 flat fee for the entire day, you just have to purchase ammo to shoot in the rental guns.

http://insightrangeinc.com/shoot.html

Both my mother and sister own Glocks and handle them just fine and they are both shorter/smaller than you. I'm just wondering if you are gripping the gun properly? Make sure the grip is rotated properly so that the centerline of the gun is basically in line with your forearm. Also, you should only be using the middle of the pad of your finger to press the trigger. Additionally, make sure the web of your hand is choked up into the grip as high as possible.

SCMA-1

Sky_DiveR
08-06-2009, 8:46 AM
I didn't see anyone mention the Walther P99. Adjustable backstraps and even with the biggest insert, the grip seemed fairly slim to me. Great trigger and accurate as hell too.

+1 on the Walther P99. I've had friends that have small hands (short fingers?) shoot the Walther double action and it works great for them. I like the changeable backstraps. The Sig P239 and P6 also works well and I think you can buy the short trigger kit for them also.

C_1
08-06-2009, 12:52 PM
I thought I had small hands/short fingers but I guess other people have had trouble finding a pistol that fits them as well.

I forgot about the Walther P99. Nice pistol; check it out OP.

Handle as many pistols as you can, and then rent the ones you narrowed it down to, and start the 10 day wait..

Tell us what you get!

onikage
08-06-2009, 1:13 PM
@SCMA - maybe I wasn't holding it right, but still didn't care for the feel. Although, women tend to have longer, slenderer fingers than men. My wife is much shorter than me and has small hands but her fingers are still quite long and pointy.

Black Majik
08-06-2009, 1:17 PM
Don't forget to look at the HK P2000, it has (at least to me) even thinner grips than the Walther P99, which was a great recommendation as well.

Or, hold out for a used 9mm Colt Commander/Combat Commander. :)

Rekrab
08-06-2009, 1:53 PM
Beretta PX4
Browning Hi-Power
CZ 75
CZ P-01
CZ SP-01
"Baby" Desert Eagle
Heckler Koch P2000
Heckler Koch P7
Kahr CW9
Ruger SR9
Sig SP2022
Smith & Wesson M&P
Springfield XD

The Beretta PX4 is definitely on the bigger range of handguns. I have fairly small hands and I have trouble handling my PX4 on anything bigger than the smallest backstrap. Even then, those backstraps don't make a huge difference.

Still, it's a fun gun to shoot and I love the .40S&W round.

My dad has hands about the same size as mine and actually doesn't have any issue with his P226 that he just picked up.

I actually can't get my hands around the XDs properly, they're just really uncomfortable for my size of hands.

onikage
08-06-2009, 6:05 PM
That's expensive for gun rentals. If you don't mind making the drive, Insight Shooting Range in Artesia has a flat rental fee of $10 which entitles you to every gun in the cases (they have a HUGE selection of rental handguns), range fee is $15 flat fee for the entire day, you just have to purchase ammo to shoot in the rental guns.

http://insightrangeinc.com/shoot.html

Both my mother and sister own Glocks and handle them just fine and they are both shorter/smaller than you. I'm just wondering if you are gripping the gun properly? Make sure the grip is rotated properly so that the centerline of the gun is basically in line with your forearm. Also, you should only be using the middle of the pad of your finger to press the trigger. Additionally, make sure the web of your hand is choked up into the grip as high as possible.

SCMA-1

Does anyone know ranges closer to or in the Inland Empire that have similar rental policies? I could be mistaken about Dave's, I'll have to call and ask.

Rob Roy
08-06-2009, 6:48 PM
What I don't like about FNP is its awkward magazines (especially base plate) with poorly designed round count holes and shiny surfaces. Also, insertion of a mag requires effort. Hopefully, it smoothes out with use, but it's hard to say. Also, I didn't like widely spread rear sight and a thin front one, which slows down the aiming. BTW, the same problem with the sights on PX4 and P99. The rest I like, but I have hard time overcoming the mags part.