PDA

View Full Version : looking for left handed 1911

ls2monaro
08-04-2009, 5:18 AM
looking for something that has left handed levers. any suggestions?

lunde
08-04-2009, 5:35 AM
Which levers? On a 1911, the best you are going to do for left-handed shooting is an ambidextrous safety. The only 1911 that I own that has an ambidextrous safety is my Valtro 1998A1:

http://lundestudio.com/photos/valtro-fixed-right-full.jpg

randy
08-04-2009, 5:39 AM
Randall made a left handed 1911 I belive. Keep watching one will turn up.

tankerman
08-04-2009, 6:18 AM
Why?

The standard 1911 is already easier to use for a lefty than a righty.

bondmid003
08-04-2009, 7:48 AM
My Springfield Armory Trophy Match has an ambidextrous safety, thats about as good as you're going to get

chilly_bill
08-04-2009, 7:50 AM
There is someone who makes a full on, mirror image lefty, but I don't know the make. I'll dig around to see what I can find.

Blademan21
08-04-2009, 8:54 AM
Mile High Armory makes left handed 1911. Google is your friend.

1923mack
08-04-2009, 9:32 AM
As stated above Randall made lefties for the 1911's. They were real mirror images of the right handed models, not just ambi levers. They made full size, Commander size, fixed and adjustabe sight models, and a LeMay model (Commander with shortened grip). Most were 45acp in all stainless. A few 9mm were produced but rare.

tankerman
08-04-2009, 10:14 AM
How so? Thanks
Slide release and mag release can be easily manipulated with you index finger on your left hand.

lunde
08-04-2009, 10:29 AM
tankerman, you wrote:Slide release and mag release can be easily manipulated with you index finger on your left hand.I agree with the ease with which the magazine release can be manipulated using the left hand's index finger, but a 1911 slide release is anything but easily manipulated with one's index finger.

tankerman
08-04-2009, 10:45 AM
tankerman, you wrote:I agree with the ease with which the magazine release can be manipulated using the left hand's index finger, but a 1911 slide release is anything but easily manipulated with one's index finger.
My finger works fine, other lefties will tell you the same.

If your finger isn't strong enough perhaps some grip strengthening exercises would help.

ls2monaro
08-04-2009, 2:29 PM
I'm liking the springfield trophy match. I see a couple on gunbroker for about 1200. I'll see what kind of prices I can find locally.

trinydex
08-04-2009, 4:57 PM
Slide release and mag release can be easily manipulated with you index finger on your left hand.

recently started doin' the slide release this way, it's great.

CHS
08-04-2009, 5:42 PM
My finger works fine, other lefties will tell you the same.

If your finger isn't strong enough perhaps some grip strengthening exercises would help.

And then you can always just slingshot the release.

trinydex
08-04-2009, 6:03 PM
it's way too much faster to hit with finger to go back to slingshot for me. it does mean introducing a training exercise in addition to malfunction clearing but the time saved is pretty significant.

tEN wOLVES fIVE sHOOTER
08-05-2009, 9:24 AM

tankerman, no disrespect intended, I suppose if you have small hands with fingers that can bend all over the place, you might be able to get the safety off or release the slide, but I have large hands, man size hands, and I've never been able to do this and keep my grip, being left handed myself, most any 1911's can be fixed to an ambi safety, and the parts aren't that much, and in some cases you could put it in yourself if you have the skills, otherwise you can get a smith to do it, your pretty much stuck with the right hand slide release, but you can push the slide back fast and release it with your right hand and that works well, provided you have a right hand to use, if you do have a right hand to use you could use it to release the safety or slide release, but then it becomes a gun where you need a two hands to make it run, for me I don't like safety's and I like ambi slide release's.

Regards

tEN wOLVES

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Another lefty 1911 user here...

If you can find a Randall at a reasonable price, jump on it. They are somewhat rare and often command a very high price. I had one when they first came out; it was a good pistol and I'm sorry that I sold it.

Modifying a standard 1911, as has been said previously in this thread, is no great trick. Add an ambidextrous safety, and if you have short fingers or lack strength/dexterity to manage the standard slide stop with your left index finger, add an extended slide stop lever. There are ambidextrous slide stops, but they're a little tough to find - and you really don't need them.

tEN wOLVES, remember that if you have only one hand to manipulate your weapon, you can operate the slide in a number of ways; including but not limited to pressing the muzzle against a surface (doesn't work well with full length guide rods) or using the rear sight by hooking it against a surface, clothing, holster lip or shoe sole.

tEN wOLVES fIVE sHOOTER
08-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Grumpy I hear what your saying, and of source if you in a life or death situation there is usually something you can come up with to make things work, I guess I just like my defense guns to a little more user friendly "to me", thanks for the info, on the Randall, I'll keep my eyes open for one, that extended slide release sounds good too.

I'm retired too and loving it

Best Regards

tEN wOLVES

slick_711
08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Randall is the best option but they've been out of production for years. Keep an eye out and you may come across a used one.

Learn to shoot right [handed]. ;)

evidens83
08-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Another lefty here and I shoot and handle my RIA 1911 Tactical just fine. Manipulating the slide release is no problem and the ambi safety is a plus. And like bdsmchs said, you can always slingshot the slide.

trinydex
08-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Modifying a standard 1911, as has been said previously in this thread, is no great trick. Add an ambidextrous safety, and if you have short fingers or lack strength/dexterity to manage the standard slide stop with your left index finger, add an extended slide stop lever. There are ambidextrous slide stops, but they're a little tough to find - and you really don't need them.

doesn't getting some aftermarket slide release parts afftect holster selection?

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-05-2009, 1:31 PM
doesn't getting some aftermarket slide release parts afftect holster selection?

It can. Extended levers can be trimmed in width to minimize the issue, in some cases the holster can be trimmed. Bear in mind that left handers have the lever on the side away from their bodies; that makes the issue less difficult than it is for right handers, for whom the slide stop is on the side of the weapon closest to their bodies, making holster trimming difficult if not impossible and minimizing the value of slimming the extended lever.

trinydex
08-05-2009, 2:08 PM
all kinds of considerations

ChrisDM
08-05-2009, 2:29 PM
Lefty here, ambi safety is all you need. I added one to my Eclipse Custom II:

http://imagineimagery.zenfolio.com/img/v0/p849551085.jpg