PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question! Ammo Storage

Gh0sT
08-03-2009, 10:00 PM
I have a couple of neighbors that have a 2 ton safe in their garage that keeps their WWII M1s mint, dust and humidity free.

I was wondering from all of you ladies and gents that have from the few hundred to as many as 10k rounds stashed away in the house -

Where do you put yours?
Any boxes or storage stuff recommended?
How do you keep the ammo fresh???

I only ask because I went over to one of my local shops, picked up a box of .308s and .30-06s and noticed that the cartridges were starting to rust, got some weird white stuff and looked almost dangerous to load. Where I live, humidity starts to suck and stick around like a bad fart in our garage and sadly, I am working on getting my own sweet little reload station.

jben
08-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Can you post pics of your funky rusty ammo so we can see what you are talking about?

I'm confused by the rusty comment. Unless you're talking about Russian steel cased ammo (without poly coating), I don't understand how brass, copper and lead can rust. Because, well, actually...they can't!

I live in a VERY humid area. I have more than 10k rounds stashed around the house. The ammo is stored in a variety of factory cardboard boxes, ammo cans and plastic bag sealed cases. It all stays fresh. Ammo will last for decades even if treated poorly.

frankiejoe577
08-03-2009, 11:23 PM
I keep all of my factory ammo and reloads in stock boxes or plastic cases like these: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/42361-1.html

I then put them into my safe and they are ready when I need them.

And please do post the pictures if you really do think they are unsafe bring them back and show them

NewbieDave
08-04-2009, 12:12 AM
If you're talking surplus stuff... depending on how old it is, the brass will be in different stages of corrosion and discoloration. Good examples are the '69 SPAM can Greek HXP... can looks great on the outside, but due to the cardboard boxes in the SPAM can... many has reported rounds that are very corroded and probably unsafe to fire.

As far as storage... buy some USGI ammo cans with good gaskets. Put ammo in cans, place in a dry place (garage or closest). Been doing that for 15+ years... no issues.

Also, no brasses are going to stay shiny forever... they will tarnish over time and discolor. That's normal and will not effect the ammo itself.

~dpc

ghost
08-04-2009, 12:18 AM
put them in sealed cans with dessicant and store them in a dry cool place if you can.

LB21
08-04-2009, 5:53 AM
Bulk of my ammo is in good ammo cans with desiccant packs inside, also got some reloaded stuff in regular plastic ammo boxes. All sitting in the garage and always fresh.

Ross
08-04-2009, 7:20 AM
I store the ammo in the bottom of the safe. A few thousand rounds of 9mm, 223, 45, and 30-06 should be a good weight deterent.

sholling
08-04-2009, 9:27 AM
Good ammo cans with desiccant packs inside.

stix213
08-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Mine just sits in the closet in their original boxes, with my guns locked in the safe. Although I don't live in a humid area

One Shot, One Dropped
08-04-2009, 7:34 PM
put them in sealed cans with dessicant and store them in a dry cool place if you can.
WOW! Until I double-checked, I thought the OP was answering his own question!