PDA

View Full Version : Can a CZ75 TS in .40 be easily converted to shoot 9?

spddrcr
08-03-2009, 8:44 PM
Im looking at buying a cz75 ts in 40 and was wondering if anybody had changed one to shoot 9mm? I know that the ts comes in either 40 or 9 so i was assuming all i would need to do is change the barrel out. I want a 40 for shooting ipsc/uspsa but would love to be able to shoot 9 out of it for steel challenge matches. anyone have any idea if it can be done?

rivviepop
08-03-2009, 9:49 PM
Yes, but you need more parts than just a barrel. The TS in 9mm can use "normal" CZ 9 mags if you also put in special grips, mag release, magwell - the 9mm TS came out in 2005 and no 10rd mags were ever made (you could buy rebuild kits and block them though); TS mags are larger than other CZ mags. The frame and slide are the same which is what matters, you'll just need the 9mm bushing and other minor parts like slide stop. Don't forget your recoil spring and mainspring that are adjusted for the ammo, too. $$$

thedonger
08-03-2009, 11:27 PM
My TS 9mm works just fine with standard CZ 75 9mm mags, & SP-01 mags.

rivviepop
08-04-2009, 12:31 PM
My TS 9mm works just fine with standard CZ 75 9mm mags, & SP-01 mags.

...then you have the conversion "kit" already on it, which is how it's usually sold in CA (with a normal 10rd CZ mag in the box). Here's an example of the non-converted grips/magwell that allows the larger mags to be used:

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=190125&Messages=4
http://www.gunsamerica.com/976718708/Guns-For-Sale/Gun-Auctions/Pistols/CZ/CZ_75_Tactical_Sport_9mm_Dual.htm

The conversion grips add inward-depth material through the frame that stabilize the smaller "normal" CZ mags (they're thinner); these new grips then are too tight to allow the larger mags to be inserted into the gun anymore. Here's the typical 10rd converted TS, which yours probably looks like:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/rivviepop/snv11886_800.jpg

That's how you usually find them on the shelf at our FFLs.

EDIT: btw, I can only verify this by trying to insert the TS .40 S&W 10rd mags I have into my "CA converted" 9mm TS, owning a real TS 9mm mag in CA is illegal (well OK, you could own it as a kit/disassembled or self-converted to 10rd) so I can't actually try one of the 9mm real deals. From everything I can tell, the body size of a TS 9mm is identical to a .40 S&W TS mag, especially since they use an identical slide stop on the TS.

thedonger
08-06-2009, 1:50 PM
So if I have a TS 9mm that has the 9mm conversion installed, where can I get the .40 conversion for it?

rivviepop
08-06-2009, 2:07 PM
So if I have a TS 9mm that has the 9mm conversion installed, where can I get the .40 conversion for it?

Everything except the barrel is readily available on czcustom.com (i.e. web shopping). You'd need grips, magwell, mag release, recoil spring, guide rod bushing, slide stop, extractor and maybe a few other parts I don't know about - and the barrel. You'd be best to call them and just let them put together a package deal for you (don't forget mags - they're $45 each) to get it right. Some of those parts are expensive, it might run you a pretty penny to get it all.