PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions

Almostryan3
08-03-2009, 6:46 PM
Alright so I am 20 years old going to be 21 in January. Trying to decide if what I have always wanted to do is right for me and a possibility. I have always wanted to be a leo for as long as I can remember.

Now here we go, I'm not currently in college but my local CC works directly with the local PD and has a lot of classes directed towards people that want to become cops so I would be enrolling in those classes and stuff this coming semester. Now I have been drug free all my life. For the most part stayed out of major trouble. Never had any violence issues or anything like that. I have a few people that might hate me but mostly from when I was dating a girl their ex would not be too fond of me, go figure. Still friends with all my ex's and none with bad feelings towards me.

The majority of anything against me, would be traffic tickets. Not too bad but in the past 4 years I have gotten 5 tickets all light speeding tickets (47 in 40, 2x 80 in a 65, 50 in a 40, and 75 in a 65). Only 2 of those are within the past year. Majority was in the first year and a half that I was driving (got my license suspended 30 days). Other than that I have one traffic collision that was not my fault.

I have one school suspension in HS from my friend stealing something from the locker above mine while borrowing a book from my locker and me not wanting to tell them who it was (could that possibly hurt me?). 1 school suspension from cursing in middle school (damn catholic private school). Oh and got the cops called on me and few buddies of mine because I was confronted by samurai sword and bats by my gf at the times ex and a few of his buddies in front of a friends house. My friends older brother brought out an unloaded shotgun and they took off and called the cops. Cops came and talked to us took down all our names and just said to grow up and not get ourselves killed. As for stealing, I think I stole a pack of gum and a soda when I was like 10 from the local liquor store type place.

Never been fired from a job, but I have had a few jobs that I was paid under the table, will that look bad if I list those or should I only list regular paying jobs? Nothing illegal, just one was my dads company that I worked part time with so he just paid me cash, other was a local car parts shot that was self owned and I only worked there a few weekends when they were real busy.

Now my credit did drop a little and I heard that could hurt you. Long story short I bought a car right when I turned 18 because I had a steady job at the time. Lost the job after a while because the dealership I was working at went under and it took a bit of time to get another job so I fell behind on payments and almost got the car repo'd and fell behind on credit car payments. So obviously it will take a little while to come back up, but didn't know if those cases would have a big effect on anything.

Never been on any medication regarding any psychological disorder or anything like that, I am in great shape physically and mentally. I am a car nut and a gun lover. Lots of driving experience, did quite a bit of legal track racing from when I was little starting with karting. As for guns I have just recently gotten into them once I became of age. My grandpa and my dad both taught me basic fun safety and hot to shoot when I was young, but never a big thing up until the past year or so.

Ok sorry for the long post but just trying to get all the major things out there that i have questions about. So basically from current LEO's or even people going through the process does it sound like its a good possibility that this is something I can do? Once again, sorry for the long post but this is something I am very interested and motivated in doing so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Almostryan3
08-03-2009, 6:46 PM
Wow thats even longer than it seemed. Sorry for the length, I appreciate any input a lot!

Almostryan3
08-03-2009, 6:48 PM
Also I am looking for a job at the local PD as something working at the station possibly as a civilian job, the CC also helps with that if there is any available positions at getting you into the department to see how the inside works and all that.

Also if I could get a little more info on what exactly do I have to go through to get some kind of ride along and what not.

Fire in the Hole
08-03-2009, 7:22 PM
This question exceeds my attention span.

Almostryan3
08-03-2009, 7:54 PM
Hahaha yeah sorry didn't realize it well I typed it was getting soooo long.

Cliff notes:
Good record beside some traffic tickets
iffy credit because young stupid mistakes but bringing it back
good character witnesses
few and far between bad references
little bit of average kid trouble growing up
100% drug free
fit, both mentally and physically

Good candidate for police work? Mainly worried about the traffic tickets and the credit thing, everything else I believe I am perfectly fine.

nobody33
08-03-2009, 8:11 PM
You'll be fine... eventually. You need something to be competitive. Degree or military. In this economy having an ok background means about nothing... now you gotta have a clean background, and a decent resume.

I went the college/dispatcher route. Also look into CSO jobs. I had 2 speeding tickets plus an at fault crash before I got hired... and I passed for CHP and my current agency.

Almostryan3
08-03-2009, 8:34 PM
Yeah thats why I was planning on enrolling in the local CC to get my AA and also BA in criminal justice. Thanks for the input!

Ron-Solo
08-03-2009, 8:39 PM
The driving record looks like your worst obstacle. Keep it clean from this point onward, SHOW that you have grown up. The other things are not really an issue. Like others have said, a military background makes you competative. Plus, most departments will let you buy back military time that could count toward your retirement.

Almostryan3
08-03-2009, 9:10 PM
I would love to join the army or air force but right now thats not really an option. I live with and semi take care of my grandmother and grandfather and I take care of my two younger cousins and help around the house quite a bit. Can't really be gone for all the last without being home. I wish I would have done it back when I was 18, could have been halfway done, but I was young at the time and wasn't thinking straight. But it is still an option in the back of my mind...

Fire in the Hole
08-03-2009, 9:16 PM
What you are doing sounds admirable. But consider the millions of young men who were in your shoes when the draft was still going strong. My dad was in the same situation as you, and got drafted into WWII at the age of 32.
Just saying...

Almostryan3
08-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Oh by all means if it came down to the country needing me, I would go without a second thought.

Fire in the Hole
08-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Oh by all means if it came down to the country needing me, I would go without a second thought.

But you are having second thoughts. I'm just saying, whatever your present convention is; open you mind and think globaly, out of the box. Consider all the variables.

retired
08-03-2009, 11:43 PM
I think I stole a pack of gum and a soda when I was like 10 from the local liquor store type place.

I think this is what is going to do you in.;) I'm joking, I'm joking.

Like Ron-Solo said, the driving record will get some attention and also your credit. If you can show a turn for the positive, that will certainly help tho.

When you start the process, just be sure you are truthful with everything. Not being truthful will get you DQ faster than anything.

Almostryan3
08-04-2009, 1:57 AM
But you are having second thoughts. I'm just saying, whatever your present convention is; open you mind and think globaly, out of the box. Consider all the variables.

Like I said, if it were heavily needed and they were thinking about drafting I would join before the draft without a doubt. But with my current other family obligations I'll stick around unless I see it very prudent to join.

Thanks for all the info and advice so far, any other info is greatly appreciated!

masameet
08-04-2009, 2:34 AM
What you are doing sounds admirable. But consider the millions of young men who were in your shoes when the draft was still going strong. My dad was in the same situation as you, and got drafted into WWII at the age of 32.
Just saying...

I'm pretty sure men got deferments if they were the sole breadwinner in a situation as your dad's. I know Earl Scruggs, who was probably about 20 at the time he was drafted during WWII, got a deferment because his father was dead, his mother had several young children, and he was the family's sole provider.

masameet
08-04-2009, 2:51 AM
For ride-alongs, have you considered checking the websites of the local PDs/SOs you're interested in and snail mailing a letter to the respective chiefs/sheriffs?

I'm not a LEO. But I've heard/read that concentrating in another field of study, like computer science or business administration, makes a potential candidate more marketable. The CJ stuff you'll get in the academy. If you can think critically and logically, and communicate effectively, before the academy, then you'll be in good stead when you get there.

Almostryan3
08-04-2009, 2:06 PM
For ride-alongs, have you considered checking the websites of the local PDs/SOs you're interested in and snail mailing a letter to the respective chiefs/sheriffs?

I'm not a LEO. But I've heard/read that concentrating in another field of study, like computer science or business administration, makes a potential candidate more marketable. The CJ stuff you'll get in the academy. If you can think critically and logically, and communicate effectively, before the academy, then you'll be in good stead when you get there.

So I should just look into emailing the chief in order to sign up or whatever I need to do for a ride along?

That makes sense I suppose ya. I will have to look into that and talk to the counselor at the CC to see what else they think would help me in that field of work, thanks for the suggestion.

retired
08-05-2009, 10:09 PM
So I should just look into emailing the chief in order to sign up or whatever I need to do for a ride along?

That makes sense I suppose ya. I will have to look into that and talk to the counselor at the CC to see what else they think would help me in that field of work, thanks for the suggestion.

I of course can't speak for all LEAs, but generally, you don't have to write an email to the chief; just call the station and ask to be connected to whomever handles the program.

For my former dept. (lasd), that is all you have to do. I live in Riverside County and that is all you have to do there also.

bubbagump
08-06-2009, 1:05 AM

If you want to go on a ride-a-long in Downey or South Gate, just walk into the station and ask for a ride-a-long form. Fill it out and they'll give you a call...

Unless things have changed...

Almostryan3
08-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Alright I will look into that and see what they say for the local PD. Thanks for the input guys!