PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question: Intrafamily transfer

Buckelew
07-01-2005, 6:50 PM
My brother-in-law has an HK VP70Z. Can I get it from him?

If so, what would we need to do?

Thanks in advance.

bwiese
07-01-2005, 8:01 PM
Buckelew...

Nice gun!

Acquisition from a brother-in-law is not considered an legal interfamily transfer (that only applies to grandparents/grandchildren, parents/children).

The HK VP70Z is not on the CA approved list of 'safe' handguns. Thus your bro-in-law will have to transfer it to you via a "face to face private-party transfer" (F2F PPT) using the services of a FFL at a gunshop.

Both you & he will have to go to a gunshop, fill out papers, and you will have to wait 10 days.
I beleive you will also have to have (or get) a Basic Handgun Safety Certificate ($25ish) in addition to other fees.

Gunshops selling long guns only (like Big5) are not obligated to process handgun transfers. Gunshops that do handgun sales are obligated to do this for a nominal fee.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Inoxmark
07-01-2005, 9:13 PM
Be aware of mag capacity restrictions. 18rd mags are not legally transferable. Generally speaking, no mag=no safe handling demonstration=no transfer. You may have to bring your own VP70Z mag for the safety demo.

bwiese
07-01-2005, 9:40 PM
[Good catch Inoxmark! Forgot that the VP70Z might be hicap.]

And I don't think locap 10rd mags are available.

That might kill the deal.

And that might be pretty obvious that you/bro-in-law illegally transferred a hicap mag.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Buckelew
07-03-2005, 6:22 PM
thinking that I could modify the mags so that they'll only accept 10 rds (when transferring)....then take out the mods and use the HK for IPSC (I shoot far more accurately with the 9mm than with my P99 .40)

Thank you for the great answers.

gimmejr
07-04-2005, 6:36 AM
Im sure you could find some on ebay or the HK forum.

bigjim
07-05-2005, 6:44 AM
Originally posted by Buckelew:
thinking that I could modify the mags so that they'll only accept 10 rds (when transferring)....then take out the mods and use the HK for IPSC (I shoot far more accurately with the 9mm than with my P99 .40)

Thank you for the great answers.

Can you shoot IPSC in jail

bwiese
07-05-2005, 9:02 AM
Originally posted by Buckelew:
thinking that I could modify the mags so that they'll only accept 10 rds (when transferring) ... then take out the mods and use the HK for IPSC

NO NO NO No No No No No No No NO!!!!

What part of "you can't possess hicap magazines you didn't own before 1 Jan 2000" don't you understand???

This is a fairly uncommon gun. The fact you got it, with papers, after 1/1/2000 would be 'interesting' as it'd be the rare person who prepurchase hicaps while they were still legal for such rare guns. (I did buy lotsa hicaps for guns I don't even own yet, but they are more common guns, and I'm a pretty weird guy known to do things like this.) So your having hicaps might not pass the smell test and further investigation ensues.

I'm trying to figure out how many laws you'd be violating.

Firstly, I'm not sure at all that an end-user getting a hicap and modifying it into a lo-cap mag would necessarily make it legal - esp if the mod were readily removable. A local DA could decide that was just an artifice. [A manufacturer would likely submit samples for DOJ for approval before even trying to sell something like this.]

And then your proposal to remove the 10 rd 'stop' for shooting moves you from the legal frying pan to the fire (unless you only did this outside of California, and returned it back to locap upon reentering CA. Even then, this would be doubtful.

If I hadn't seen some of your posts here before, I'd've guessed you were a troll for DOJ/MMM.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

stator
07-05-2005, 8:43 PM
If your BIL is the brother of your spouse:

1) BIL transfers to father.
2) Father transfers to daughter.
3) Daughter transfers to you.

If your BIL is the husband of your sister:

1) BIL transfers to spouse
2) Spouse transfers to father.
3) Father transfers to you.

You cannot transfer anything that is illegal to do so such as hicap mags, AWs, etc.

Buckelew
07-05-2005, 9:39 PM
sorry, guys, not trolling. Just so many damn stupid laws that are absolute BS.

Guess I'll find out about lo-cap mag availability - but I wouldn't expect much.