PDA

View Full Version : P226 slide not functioning correctly?

op487062
08-03-2009, 7:33 AM
Took my P226 to the range for the first time for 100 rounds. About half the time, the slide didn't move back when the mag was empty (10 rd mag, btw) Is this a quality issue that needs to be addressed by Sig or did I do something wrong that can be corrected?

Thanks in advance.

Tho_Sun
08-03-2009, 7:45 AM
Rounds are not powerful enough to lock the slide. A weaker recoil spring would fix that or more powerful rounds.

Sheldon
08-03-2009, 7:48 AM
I think you're saying the slide is not locking back after the last shot is fired from the magazine. It can be a result of several different things. One is weak ammo, which won't cycle the slide back enough to consistantly allow the magazine to lock the slide back. Another is a shooter "limp wristing" the pistol. This where ones grip is so loose as to absorb the force of the recoil enough to hinder the slides movement rearward which would also prevent the slide from going back far enough to lock back on the empty magazine. Insufficient lubrication on the slide to frame surfaces can cause it as well. A faulty magazine or weak mag spring can also cause your problem.

Juicymeat
08-03-2009, 7:48 AM
How are you gripping the gun? If you shoot with the thumbs forward method it can lead to your strong hand thumb riding on the slide lock.

J-cat
08-03-2009, 7:50 AM
Is it the newer milled slide or the older sheet-metal slide?

trapshot68
08-03-2009, 7:58 AM
+1 on thumb holding down release.

Major thread at sigforum.com

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/749101723/p/1

Hippo
08-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I had the exact same issue with my P226. The slide catch was milled about 5mm too short and was not being pushed up on by the magazine; it would only rub along the slide of the follower instead of being pushed by it. I noticed it when I had an empty mag in the frame with the slide off and I could visibly see the two weren't making adequate contact. Sig repaired it all for free but they wanted it shipped in to them for the job.

leelaw
08-03-2009, 10:56 AM
My first guess is that your thumb is holding down the slide release.

After checking on that and verifying that it is not you, then I'd begin looking at mechanical issues.

filion
08-03-2009, 11:11 AM
I had the same issue with my 226 in January. First time I shot it the slide wouldn't lock back after UMC ammo (100 rnds) but worked fine with Blazer brass (150 rnds). After the first trip I greased the rails and oiled the barrel and spring generously and haven't had an issue since, even with the same UMC ammo (50 rnds) on the following trip.

I recommend greasing and another trip to the range and try different ammo if you can find any before pursuing other options. Once broken in mine has locked back flawlessly.

Lancear15
08-03-2009, 11:22 AM
return it for an HK :clap:

Sheepdog1968
08-03-2009, 12:04 PM
I had the exact same issue w a 9 mm 226. Lasted about 200 rounds. It went away and has maybe happened once more in 3000 rounds. Likely a break in thing. I've seen lots of good advice above as well. A Sig is a quality pistol. If it continues past another 200 rounds and you can rule out user error (limp wristing, thumb on slide release) then give Sig a call. They will fix it for you. Let us know what happens.

Black Majik
08-03-2009, 12:06 PM
How are you gripping the gun? If you shoot with the thumbs forward method it can lead to your strong hand thumb riding on the slide lock.

+1 Pretty common occurence. I do the same. Think of it as a thumb rest. :D

TitanCi
08-03-2009, 12:45 PM
My first guess is that your thumb is holding down the slide release.

After checking on that and verifying that it is not you, then I'd begin looking at mechanical issues.

+1

This is very common

op487062
08-03-2009, 4:38 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm not holding the release down (I'm left handed). My friend (right handed) went to the range with me and had the same thing occur about half the time. I'm guessing it's a break in issue--hoping actually :). I'll grease the parts a bit more just to be sure the slide is lubricated enough.

I appreciate the response very much.

ontmark
08-04-2009, 12:47 AM
I had the exact same issue with my P226. The slide catch was milled about 5mm too short and was not being pushed up on by the magazine; it would only rub along the slide of the follower instead of being pushed by it. I noticed it when I had an empty mag in the frame with the slide off and I could visibly see the two weren't making adequate contact. Sig repaired it all for free but they wanted it shipped in to them for the job.

Plus 1

There are two different slide stop levers. A lever with a shorter stand off for the 12 round magazines and a lever that protrudes more for the 10 round magazines. So if the Pistol was manufactured for the twelve round magazines and somewhere down the road the magazines were changed out for ten rounders to be sold in this state this could be the issue.

I too had this issue. Looking at Magazines on the SIG Site when enlarged the picture shows the 12 round mag having a protrusion for the Slide Stop Lever, where the 10 round mag has this area rounded off. Called SIG customer service and they shipped me four followers part number off the 12 round mag for free. Installed them and it works fine, No it didn't change the capacity actually has made it easer to load the last round with speed loader. How have room in Mag for 10 and a half rounds.

racky
08-04-2009, 1:08 AM
had the same problem with my ar15 and 1911. turns out it was the cheap magazines i bought for it.

DCF
08-04-2009, 5:06 PM
I have the same problem but it only happens to one of the magazine. I suspect that I always fully loaded one of the mags for HD at home so may be that particular one has a weaker spring since it is always being compressed?

I didn't keep track of which one is always fully loaded because I unloaded that mag before heading to the range. All I know is that the gun didn't lock back after the last shot with the same mag because it kept happening to the same person. I have the Navy version so it comes with 3 mags. There were 3 people so we all have our own mag. I am sure it wasn't the problem with how the person holds the gun because the gun locks back every time when I was shooting and when I tried his mag, same thing happen to me.

Cato
08-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Is it a P226 9mm? My p228 did this a few times when it was new. A new recoil spring and plinking ammo is probably the cause. It didn't happen when my p226 40 was new because I believe 40 is of higher pressure.

ldivinag
08-05-2009, 3:15 PM
you got a piece of crap sig.

get rid of it.

tell you what... i'll take it off your hands... i'll be nice and give you a couple bills for it... :)

DCF
08-05-2009, 3:54 PM
@ Cato, yes, it is a 9mm. The ammo that I was using is Remington UMC 115 Gr. It's probably nothing major and as long as it goes bang every time I press the trigger, I am happy with it :)

Lol @ Idvinag. I hate to cause potential injuries to other people so I will just keep my Sig.