View Full Version : Registration questions... need help!

08-02-2009, 9:19 PM
A buddy of mine has a Kimber .45 registered in Tennesse, but he now lives in California. He's selling it to me, but I'm not sure if we need to meet at a FFL/shop or not since it's not registered in California. Do we meet at a shop, do the papers and leave the gun there for 10 days, or can I just pay my friend, and bring the handgun into the shop myyself?

08-02-2009, 9:41 PM
Does he have a CA ID? If so, then both of you go to a local FFL and do a private party transfer. You can't bring it in yourself without the seller. The seller has to sign the PPT DROS paperwork too.

08-03-2009, 11:33 AM
People moving to CA are supposed to submit forms for the firearms that they have, but of course most people moving here don't know that.

As was said, you can not bring it there yourself and both need to go to the FFL. The fee is limited to a total of $35 btw.

08-04-2009, 4:32 PM
Thanks guys, going in on Friday...