View Full Version : Registration questions...HELP?!

08-02-2009, 8:56 PM
Okay, so a friend of mine is selling me his Kimber thats registered in Tennesse. He lives in So Cal now, and I was wondering how do we go about transferring the gun to my name. Do we need to meet at a FFL, they hold the gun while I get my papers processed, and then I get to take it home? Or since it's not registered in California yet, can I just get it from him and take it to a FFL to be registered in my name?

08-02-2009, 9:01 PM
I didn't know they registered guns there. Anyway, have him ship it to your ffl and then you pay the dros and transfer fee and do the regular ca paperwork/waiting period. This pistol also has to be on the safe handgun roster.

08-02-2009, 9:03 PM
you would both need to go to the dealer. Assuming tht he is a CA resident, they will do a PPT DROS to transfer it to you. It cost $35 for that service. If he is not a CA-resident, military perhaps per your location, the same process would apply, but it would just be a transfer, not a PPT (PPT is only for 2 CA-residents). No set fee for the service, and the Kimber must then be on the CA Roster of not unsafe handguns.

No, you can't just take it to the dealer yourself and have ti registered in your name.

08-02-2009, 9:04 PM
Tennessee doesn't have "registration." Buying a gun and filling out the ATF form is not state registration.

When your friend moved to the PRK he *should* have voluntarily registered his handgun with the state within 60 days. That said, if he transfers it to you via a Private Party Transfer, it will become registered in your name and the state will be happy because they a) get some money, and b) get the weapon registered.

In order to do a PPT, both you and your friend will need to go to the FFL together. The dealer will hold the gun for 10 days while the State performs a background check on you, and then you take it home with it registered in your name.

08-02-2009, 9:05 PM
Ahh, sorry, didn't see he lives in CA already. Meet at an FFL, and reuqest to do a Private Party Transfer. You'll need an ID and an accepted form to prove residency in CA along with an HSC. The ten day wait still applies but the roster does not now.