PDA

View Full Version : Got my P22 and 50 bucks back from recall

bigjim
06-30-2005, 5:32 PM
I sent my P22 into Smith and wesson for the recall and *****ed about not being made whole by the fix since my gun was a two barrel set.

They applied the CA fix and sent me a check for 50 bucks. Anybody else get paid off?

Jim

bwiese
06-30-2005, 5:34 PM
Congrats.

Even though S&W screwed up, too bad the DOJ didn't have to pay it out of their damn budget.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

xsquid
06-30-2005, 7:07 PM
Originally posted by bigjim:
I sent my P22 into Smith and wesson for the recall and *****ed about not being made whole by the fix since my gun was a two barrel set.

They applied the CA fix and sent me a check for 50 bucks. Anybody else get paid off?

Jim

Damn - I guess I should've made some noise about that too since I also have the longer barrel. I was just hoping to sell it on e-bay http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Chaingun
07-01-2005, 7:11 AM
DOJ is making S/W pay for the 4k+ mods including s/h. DOJ should be responsible.

Still waiting for mine. Turners put the wrong SN on the paperwork, and now SW had to submit for a SN update. I think DOJ is dragging their fat *** over this one; it's over 1 month now.

PJA
07-01-2005, 7:46 AM
I still have not heard from S & W. Maybe I fell through the cracks.
Pete

bigjim
07-01-2005, 9:54 AM
Well the guy at S&W said they are selling every other gun that comes in to afford to write checks to those of us that ask for them. Looks like your out of luck. ;-)

bwiese
07-02-2005, 7:37 PM
Chaingun wrote:
DOJ is making S/W pay for the 4k+ mods including s/h. DOJ should be responsible.

How do you arrive at that? Even though the law is totally stupid, try blaming the right people.
This was S&W's screwup. They have something akin to a 'compliance office' and this just blew past 'em.

Here's a broad chronology of what happened:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> CA legislature passes SB23 assault weapon laws.

<LI> Specific P22 pistol models are submitted for 'safe gun' testing to CA-approved test lab, DOJ scrutiny, etc. Passes tests for function, configuration,e tc.

<LI> Specific P22s are approved by DOJ for CA sales. The tested gun(s) approved for sale do NOT have any 'assualt weapon' features.

<LI> S&W (distributors?) ship P22s into CA that have a threaded barrel. These guns are different than the ones they submitted for approval. This was likely an oversight, S&W's left hand not knowing what right hand was doing. {In other fields like aftermarket auto parts and FCC RFI/EMI compliance for consumer electronics, this is called 'submitting a lab queen' and is often done fraudulently, with no intent of shipping the same approved legal product.)

<LI> DOJ finds out about P22s sold in CA not being the same as the ones that were approved.
A recall is mandated.[/list]

Bill Wiese
San Jose

bigjim
07-03-2005, 6:46 AM
Originally posted by bwiese:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Chaingun wrote:

How do you arrive at that? Even though the law is totally stupid, try blaming the right people.
This was S&W's screwup. They have something akin to a 'compliance office' and this just blew past 'em.

Here's a broad chronology of what happened:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> CA legislature passes SB23 assault weapon laws.

<LI> Specific P22 pistol models are submitted for 'safe gun' testing to CA-approved test lab, DOJ scrutiny, etc. Passes tests for function, configuration,e tc.

<LI> Specific P22s are approved by DOJ for CA sales. The tested gun(s) approved for sale do NOT have any 'assualt weapon' features.

<LI> S&W (distributors?) ship P22s into CA that have a threaded barrel. These guns are different than the ones they submitted for approval. This was likely an oversight, S&W's left hand not knowing what right hand was doing. {In other fields like aftermarket auto parts and FCC RFI/EMI compliance for consumer electronics, this is called 'submitting a lab queen' and is often done fraudulently, with no intent of shipping the same approved legal product.)

<LI> DOJ finds out about P22s sold in CA not being the same as the ones that were approved.
A recall is mandated.[/list]

Bill Wiese
San Jose </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All true Bill but a over simplification at every turn. The chain of blame here so massive there is plenty to go around.

1. The voters in CA so in love with entitlements, governmental nannyism, and totally lacking in personal courage voted for these creatures. It takes a special kind of loser to even think of stupid laws like this. In CA we elect them to rule us.

2. S&W for many reasons is likely to be blameless for this. S&W does not sell guns to retailers do they? They sell to distributors which ignored/did not understand the CA law as it impacted the P22. Not S&Ws fault.

3. The DOJ which approved these guns for sale 4500 plus times in CA based on paper work complete with Model number and serial number discovered its error and passed the buck. They are very guilty at this point.

4. Gun buyers myself included were stupid. Even a quick read through of CA gun law should have made it clear this gun was not ok for CA sale or transfer.

Thankfully S&W stepped up. Put a fix in place and was willing simply by being asked to provide some Money to smooth things over with loud mouth asshats like me. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bottom line a American company is forced to pay ransom because CA gun buyers and voters are lazy and stupid ( note I am not trying to run from this lable). The CA DOJ Firearms section is unable to read understand and inforce its own stupid rules.

I just don't care....once agin I have been able to escape paying the price for my own ignorance and have managed to pass the buck to a American business and then on to you. Bill next time you buy a new Smith and Wesson remember ten dollars of it went to pay me off. Thats the new American way. Makes you proud huh?

bwiese
07-03-2005, 9:38 AM
Bigjim,

I'm not oversimpifying. While broad blame is nice concept, S&W was the key to this cock-up.

The law's stupid, but until overturned gun mfgrs have to comply. Mature companies of all types have policies, procedures and depts to assure legal compliance of product/services.

Bottom line, S&W compliance office/legal dept (or whatever) needed to communicate w/distribs about what guns are certified and which are not.

When a TV, etc. mfgr gets FCC compliance testing and the units sold to the consumer by BestBuy, etc. fail subsequent testing, the mfgr is held responsible.

Yes, buyers and gun dealers should've checked. These laws are fairly obvious. I know if I saw a P22 w/threaded bbl I would've spoken up and would not have bought it.

Bill W
San Jose