PDA

View Full Version : 10 DAY Waiting Period after Transfer????

bestnameicouldfind
08-02-2009, 2:49 PM
Hello, im sorry if this question has already been answered, i was wondering...

My gun arrives at the FFL i chose tomorrow from an out of state transfer, it technically has been 10 days since I purchased it online... now am I going to have to wait an extra 10 days from tomorrow to get my gun ?? , or can i just go and fill out the paperwork at the FFL tomorrow and take it home ???

thanks for the help!

fuegoslow
08-02-2009, 2:52 PM
:popcorn:

QuarterBoreGunner
08-02-2009, 2:55 PM
Ah, yeah, no.

You fill out the DROS and 4473 once you and the firearm are at the receiving FFL and THEN your 10 day wait starts.

B Strong
08-02-2009, 2:56 PM

My gun arrives at the FFL i chose tomorrow from an out of state transfer, it technically has been 10 days since I purchased it online... now am I going to have to wait an extra 10 days from tomorrow to get my gun ?? , or can i just go and fill out the paperwork at the FFL tomorrow and take it home ???

thanks for the help!

Your waiting period begins when you have completed the California DROS (Dealer Record of Sale) paperwork at your California FFL.

Your 10 24 hour periods begins then.

Big Jake
08-02-2009, 5:47 PM

thanks for the help!

I feel your pain! I just picked up my new gun after waiting ten agonizing days! <Big Hug>:(

thefurball
08-02-2009, 5:51 PM
... can i just go and fill out the paperwork at the FFL tomorrow and take it home ???

:rofl2:

Welcome to the PRK.

Librarian
08-02-2009, 7:17 PM
What is the waiting period for firearms purchasers?

The waiting period for the purchase or transfer of handguns and long guns is ten (10) 24-hour periods from the date and time of the acceptance of the DROS information by the DOJ and the assignment of the unique DROS number.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#20G

That means, BTW, if your FFL is one of those antiques who does not use the on-line application, the waiting period starts when the hard-copy DROS gets to Sacramento and is entered into the system.

Ducman
08-02-2009, 9:31 PM
not sure about this,I thought handguns are supposedly ship overnight only?

Tragic Image
08-03-2009, 1:32 AM
sure, they might ship overnight, but it might of been a few days after purchase that the guy gets around to shipping the gun, plus "Overnight" usually isn't "Overnight"... its "Overday" creating a 2 day shipping time depending on when the gun gets to the shippers...

I can see how it'd of been a few days.... and I'm not entirely sure about overnight only.

leelaw
08-03-2009, 1:38 AM
not sure about this,I thought handguns are supposedly ship overnight only?

An individual must ship them via overnight services. FFLs may ship via USPS Priority service. UPS and FedEx still must go overnight for FFLs.

halifax
08-03-2009, 4:42 AM
An individual must ship them via overnight services. FFLs may ship via USPS Priority service. UPS and FedEx still must go overnight for FFLs.

Two day air saver seems to be OK now with both UPS and FedX, at least for FFLs.

bestnameicouldfind
08-03-2009, 8:56 AM
thanks for your help guys i appreciate it, its my first firearm so ya...

im now thinking about purchasing that Colt m4 carbine that Turners has on sale today also, is it possible to buy COLT after i DROS the handgun im expecting today???

QuarterBoreGunner
08-03-2009, 9:02 AM
If it's the same store, you can do them at the same time - two DROS forms and a single 4473, and start the waiting period for both at the same time.
if it's a different store, it's still all cool. Just more paper work at the other store.

bestnameicouldfind
08-03-2009, 9:04 AM
o ok cool...thanks! ... i was asking because i thought i read something about only being able to buy 1 gun per 30 days or something like that ....

QuarterBoreGunner
08-03-2009, 9:08 AM
The 30 day thing is for new handguns basically; you can only DROS one handgun every 30 days. Private part transfers and consignment sales are exempt.

MasterYong
08-03-2009, 9:09 AM
o ok cool...thanks! ... i was asking because i thought i read something about only being able to buy 1 gun per 30 days or something like that ....

That's only for handguns. For rifles you can buy as many as you want. I put seven on the same 4473 one day.

MiguelS
08-03-2009, 9:38 AM
The 10 days is when a transaction is being done into your name.

The shipment from the FFL to FFL is a transaction between them.

Consider it a 10 day time to buy ammo and supplies period.

Shane916
08-03-2009, 1:24 PM
thanks for your help guys i appreciate it, its my first firearm so ya...

im now thinking about purchasing that Colt m4 carbine that Turners has on sale today also, is it possible to buy COLT after i DROS the handgun im expecting today???

You can buy the Colt, but the two weapons will have to be done on a separate DROS.

dfletcher
08-03-2009, 3:00 PM
sure, they might ship overnight, but it might of been a few days after purchase that the guy gets around to shipping the gun, plus "Overnight" usually isn't "Overnight"... its "Overday" creating a 2 day shipping time depending on when the gun gets to the shippers...

I can see how it'd of been a few days.... and I'm not entirely sure about overnight only.

My FedEx "overnight" to Springfield took from Thursday to Tuesday - I'm glad Springfield paid the fare.

stix213
08-03-2009, 4:23 PM
There hasn't been enough time for those homicidal thoughts that led you to decide to purchase the firearm in the first place to be replaced with happy thoughts, especially now that your murderous side is being stimulated by the knowledge your firearm will arrive tomorrow... So yes, you need to wait another 10 days still, for the children...

(obviously kidding, but sometimes it seems this is the way the laws are written)

Netlemming
08-03-2009, 5:02 PM
... Consider it a 10 day time to buy ammo and supplies period.

+1. I purchased a Ruger 10/22 over the weekend and a whole bunch of parts online. I figure the parts will get to me in 7 to 10 days. When the time comes, I will strip the Ruger and slap on the new parts.