PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle won't trigger traffic light

ilikerugers
08-02-2009, 12:35 PM
How understanding is law enforcement to the fact that a light motorcycle generally will not trigger a left turn signal at a traffic light? If you stop, wait a cycle or two, and then get caught riding through the red, what then?

ke6guj
08-02-2009, 12:50 PM
I can't answer the enforcement question, but can tell you this, if you regularly get caught up by a light that won't trigger for you, call the city traffice division and complain about. I had a couple lights that would not pick me up and I'd sit until another car pulled up behind me. I called the city and told them which intersection is was, and which lane I had the problem with, and they went out and adjusted the sensitivity so it picked up motorcycles better.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-02-2009, 1:49 PM
21800. (d) (1) The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection which has official traffic control signals that are inoperative shall stop at the intersection, and may proceed with caution when it is safe to do so. This subparagraph shall apply to traffic control signals that become inoperative because of battery failure.

bubbagump
08-02-2009, 2:14 PM
This happens to me when I'm riding my bicycle...

I just make my turn when its safe & there aren't any police around :p

kegs
08-02-2009, 2:21 PM
Affix a large magnet to the bottom of your frame. Some companies sell these devices to "trigger lights", but it's just the mass of metal w/ magnetism that does the trick.

Pointcrossed
08-02-2009, 2:26 PM
I got caught at a light like that then ended up making an unauthorized u turn. I told the officer why i did it and he gave me a warning.

Millions-Knives
08-02-2009, 4:47 PM
I heard the bike magnet works.
If you're stuck, you can try shifting your bike into neutral and lowering your kick stand on to the sensor.

yzernie
08-02-2009, 6:31 PM
Many of us ride bikes and are completely aware of the problem. Most that don't ride bikes are also aware of the problem. My guess is, as long as you politely explain the circumstances most would give you the warning and be done with it. You just need to be careful and make sure as you cross through the intersection you are not a hazard to others.

Doheny
08-02-2009, 6:37 PM
Red means red?

J_B
08-02-2009, 8:11 PM
I've had this issue on my crotch rocket as well. I've stopped riders for it and they've said the same thing. My only response was the dirty looks and yelling out the window as to why I should stop the rider for running a red light prompted me to make the stop, comment on the bike and tell that rider to have a nice day.

Unit74
08-02-2009, 9:24 PM
Red means red?

Until the light will not sense the bike........hence "malfunction"

Any court would thow it out if challenged.

wilit
08-02-2009, 9:28 PM
Sometimes turning the bike off and restarting it will trigger the light. The magnetic field created by the starter as it engages is sometimes strong enough to trigger the deeper set traffic loops.

Fire in the Hole
08-02-2009, 9:30 PM
The actual technical name for these thingys is a "Loop." Sensor is probably more descriptive. But having said that, I can not give any better advice than has already been provided on this thread.

Baxter
08-02-2009, 10:25 PM
I ride a dualsport and the best and only way to trigger the lights are to position yourself and the bike on the outside of the loop. If you can see the circle put your frame right above the left or right line ,so your front tire is to the left or right of circle. Works for me everytime. Good luck. check out this link http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390174&highlight=stoplight Hope this helps.

SVT-40
08-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Just make a right turn, which is allowed after a complete stop. Then make a quick "U" turn where legal and then another right turn and your back on your way.

forgiven
08-03-2009, 3:15 AM
I didn't see no stinking light.:43: Ran a bunch, still haven't been caught.:)

qbi2001
08-04-2009, 7:19 PM
+1 for wilit's response. I've ridden for years and used to manage a local motorcycle shop. We would tell the riders to hit the starter and it usually is enough to set the light. I've done it many times with success. However sometimes its a stubborn light, so proceed with caution.

ke6guj
08-04-2009, 7:24 PM
not all of us have electric starters :D

Sometimes moving the center stand up and down would help trip the sensor.

berman1969
08-04-2009, 7:51 PM
I didn't see no stinking light.:43: Ran a bunch, still haven't been caught.:)

+1 been doin it for years .

ojisan
08-04-2009, 7:55 PM
The crotch rockets with alloy engines, frames and wheels don't have the steel mass to trip the magnetic pickups. Dual sports are also high up with mostly alloy wheels.
Stop, then put your side stand down so it's foot is right on the wire.
Hopefully you have a bike where this is easy to do without getting off the bike.
I sometimes "smack" the wire with the stand down by leaning the bike side to side a couple times.
Works well and you don't have to bolt a heavy (yeeech!) magnet to your bike.
Otherwise, look ahead, look right, look left, look behind you and go!

trautert
08-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Google search Green Frog. It is a big and very powerful magnet as mentioned above, with a super sticky backing that holds it to the under side of the engine casing. Works

Blue
08-04-2009, 11:30 PM
I run a red light 2-3 times a week. Sometimes I sit there for 3-5 minutes if the traffic is rough. I've talked/argued it out with a couple of cops and gotten away with it so far.

tyrist
08-05-2009, 1:14 AM
It's a known issue and no I won't write the ticket if that is what happened.

Scratch705
08-05-2009, 2:08 AM
as others have said, mount a real powerful magnet.

just not powerful enough to draw nails/screws towards your bike though...

BillCA
08-05-2009, 2:36 AM
I've had this happen to me too... on a full dress Honda Gold Wing. The fun part was that it was about 2am just off a freeway and I could see a CHP unit sitting in a USA gas station across the street.

After two light cycless where the left-turn didn't work, I backed up and rode forward again. No joy. The kickstand and re-start methods didn't work either. After about 5 cycles, I waited for a clear intersection, turned on the flashers, rode through the red then turned off the flashers.

And got pulled over. Fun conversation with the CHP. I asked him if he'd been paying attention, he said yes. He'd seen me back up and wait several cycles. So I asked him, if I had pulled out of the left turn lane and proceeded straight ahead... yes, I'd have gotten a ticket for that too. "So what should I do?" His answer - wait until it turns green, here's your ticket, sign here, press hard, four copies.

I notified the city of the defect. The day before my court date, it still wasn't fixed. In court, the judge listened to the CHP officer say that he would have ticketed me if I had diverted straight ahead out of the left turn lane and that I should have waited for it to turn green.
Judge: "How long should he have to wait for that green light, officer?"
CHP: "As long as it takes."
Judge: "And you were watching him the whole time?"
CHP: "Yes, your honor."
Judge: "Did you report the signal malfunction to the city?"
CHP: "No sir. That's city jurisdiction, not mine."
Judge: "Why did you not take any action? That is, why didn't you assist him through the interection safely or help trip the signal?"
CHP: "I'm neither legally required or obligated to do so."
Judge: "In other words, you were either too lazy or wanted to write the citation, is that right?"
CHP: "No sir."
Judge: "We'll dismiss this one in the interests of justice."

Captain Evilstomper
08-05-2009, 2:39 AM
Judge: "How long should he have to wait for that green light, officer?"
CHP: "As long as it takes."
Judge: "And you were watching him the whole time?"
CHP: "Yes, your honor."
Judge: "Did you report the signal malfunction to the city?"
CHP: "No sir. That's city jurisdiction, not mine."
Judge: "Why did you not take any action? That is, why didn't you assist him through the interection safely or help trip the signal?"
CHP: "I'm neither legally required or obligated to do so."
Judge: "In other words, you were either too lazy or wanted to write the citation, is that right?"
CHP: "No sir."
Judge: "We'll dismiss this one in the interests of justice."

that is freaking AWESOME1!!!

mtsul
08-05-2009, 12:41 PM
++++1000 for BILLCA'S STORY (but thank you to all LEO out there putting your life on the line. just remember people they have good and bad days and some are nice some are not dont judge them all by 1 or 2)

BillCA
08-06-2009, 1:25 AM
I think I was the one who was surprised.

I'd told the judge that the officer's opinion was that I should have waited (in theory forever) until the light turned green. I did tell the judge that I watched the CHP unit after I carefully crossed the line and saw no reaction, then proceeded slowly. But the officer, in my opinion, knew he could out wait me.

When the judge asked how long I should've waited I was thinking "Cool, he gets it." Then suddenly he's basically calling the cop lazy or unconcerned about a "safety" issue and when the cop said "No sir" his dismissal said "Officer, you have no credibility with me."

I was astonished, really. I had expected the judge to lower the fine to something trivial or perhap waive a fine.