PDA

View Full Version : FNP-40 - Have one? Like it?

locosway
08-01-2009, 9:35 PM
For a second handgun I'm looking at .40 caliber. I like the way the FNP-40 looks. Does anyone have one? If so, what are your comments and opinions on it?

bondmid003
08-01-2009, 11:03 PM
I'd like to hear opinions as well

leitung
08-01-2009, 11:25 PM
I posted a thread about a week ago asking the same thing, I got no responses on my thread, I love how it feels and functions however.

pullnshoot25
08-01-2009, 11:41 PM
The FN FNP-9 and FNP-40 are both handguns I currently recommend to people. I have not shot one yet but between the rave reviews from my brother and the slick ergonomics of the pistol, I feel it is a great friggin pistol. I just showed one to a lady friend of mine today and out of a battery of handguns (Glock 17, S&W M&P 9, Beretta PX4 Storm, Kimber 1911 9mm, Springfield XD-9 and the FNP-9) the FNP-9 won out. It has changeable backstraps, a killer decocker, easy to take down ability, no magazine disconnect nor a safety, PLUS it comes with three mags.

She should be purchasing it pretty soon.Plus, it is FN so how can one complain?

aermotor
08-02-2009, 1:27 AM
OBSESSED!

pullnshoot25 is spot on everywhere.

Bought one, a week later bought a second one. Love the gun. Solid. Fits in the hand better than Glock, Sig, H&K to me, it's very ergonomic. Shoots very smooth. Can't say enough good about it personally. Doesn't hurt that it looks really nice as well. The dedicated decocker is great, no need for a safety really. Incredibly easy field strip and clean.

Just look for a good deal on it. I got one off GB recently and total including shipping and all FFL fees was around $470. My first one was around $520 or so. Very under-rated pistol in many peoples eyes. FN is a solid company and it's all made in the US.

PM me if you're ever up in the LA area, I live close to Angeles range and you can try mine out.

pullnshoot25
08-02-2009, 7:17 AM
OBSESSED!

pullnshoot25 is spot on everywhere.

Bought one, a week later bought a second one. Love the gun. Solid. Fits in the hand better than Glock, Sig, H&K to me, it's very ergonomic. Shoots very smooth. Can't say enough good about it personally. Doesn't hurt that it looks really nice as well. The dedicated decocker is great, no need for a safety really. Incredibly easy field strip and clean.

Just look for a good deal on it. I got one off GB recently and total including shipping and all FFL fees was around $470. My first one was around $520 or so. Very under-rated pistol in many peoples eyes. FN is a solid company and it's all made in the US.

PM me if you're ever up in the LA area, I live close to Angeles range and you can try mine out.

Good deal on the price! DGM has them for 659.99+fees but they were offering some sort of deal on them yesterday at around 520 or so. Hopefully they can help me hook it up for my lady friend.

locosway
08-02-2009, 1:31 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll have to see about shooting one... Maybe after I buy my OLL before they get banned again.. ;)

bondmid003
08-02-2009, 2:23 PM
Discount Gun Mart had them on sale?? I was there yesterday and I thought it was only the XD and USP that were on sale

pullnshoot25
08-02-2009, 2:26 PM
Discount Gun Mart had them on sale?? I was there yesterday and I thought it was only the XD and USP that were on sale

Maybe I got it wrong or something. Could have been a different price tag. I did look at 7 or so guns with this woman.

jazman
08-02-2009, 2:56 PM
You should have her shoot your brothers or a rental so she can try it before buying, I wouldn't buy a gun without shooting one first. What if after she buys it she doesn't like it? Also, sounds like the best deals are online, $470. out the door sounds like a whole let better than $520. before fees and taxes. The difference buys a lot of ammo.

sirgiles
08-02-2009, 3:20 PM
bass pro had them for $450. extra mags are $35.
unfortunately, i did not like the ergonomics on my hand and got rid of it after a few months.

jazman
08-02-2009, 3:32 PM
bass pro had them for $450. extra mags are $35.
unfortunately, i did not like the ergonomics on my hand and got rid of it after a few months.

Could be a lesson here for the girl friend pns.

pullnshoot25
08-02-2009, 4:04 PM
Well, the FNP-9 was the only gun she could reliaby and safely manipulate besides the Glock. However, due to the nature of the Glock I am a little hesitant to suggest it to people, especially first time gun owners. It may sound silly, especially since I love Glocks, but newbies and blocks make me a little bit nervous at times...

Also, have you guys seem the RTF grips on the new Glocks? It is friggin KILLER!

locosway
08-02-2009, 4:05 PM
I have large hands, and the finger grooves are too close together for me. I guess I don't really notice it when shooting, but it's far from a custom fit.

bondmid003
08-02-2009, 5:17 PM
You're probably right pullnshoot, I was looking at lowers yesterday mostly. I'm taking a break from handguns after purchasing my 226

slik556
08-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Just got a FNP9 and I love it. They are $499.00 with 3 mags at Bass Pro Shops in Rancho Cucamonga. The feel, the function, balance, everything on the gun is great. I feel if the price where comparable to that of the Sig's, H&K's, M&P's Glock's so on it would still be worth a good look but at very competitive price that these go for I think they are a well underrated firearm..

Gary13
08-03-2009, 6:30 AM
Got a FNP9 recently, will post a range report when I get around to it. Enjoying it so far.

jazman
08-03-2009, 9:35 AM
Well, the FNP-9 was the only gun she could reliaby and safely manipulate besides the Glock. However, due to the nature of the Glock I am a little hesitant to suggest it to people, especially first time gun owners. It may sound silly, especially since I love Glocks, but newbies and blocks make me a little bit nervous at times...

Also, have you guys seem the RTF grips on the new Glocks? It is friggin KILLER!

Why hesitate on the Glock for a new shooter? If it's because when you pull the trigger it goes bang without dealing with a safety, do you also steer them away from revolvers?

pullnshoot25
08-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Why hesitate on the Glock for a new shooter? If it's because when you pull the trigger it goes bang without dealing with a safety, do you also steer them away from revolvers?

That is almost like comparing apples to oranges. Glocks are Safe Action, whereas revolvers are (typically) double action. The trigger travel on a Glock is far less than that of a DA revolver/pistol and, in my opinion, isn't as safe to carry in most situations unless you have a holster of some sort.

For first time handgun buyers or generally inexperienced people, I prefer to suggest something with a little more safety to it than the Glock.

locosway
08-03-2009, 10:19 AM
That is almost like comparing apples to oranges. Glocks are Safe Action, whereas revolvers are (typically) double action. The trigger travel on a Glock is far less than that of a DA revolver/pistol and, in my opinion, isn't as safe to carry in most situations unless you have a holster of some sort.

For first time handgun buyers or generally inexperienced people, I prefer to suggest something with a little more safety to it than the Glock.

It doesn't matter what gun an uneducated and inexperienced person has, they're all dangerous. The Glock is no different from any other gun in this situation. I understand the constitution says EVERYONE, but some people are just too stupid to own or use a gun properly.

C_1
08-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Yup, it doesn't matter if the gun is "safe" or not, if the uneducated or inexperience person points it at a person, with their finger on the trigger, its the same with any gun. Safety is on the person..

aermotor
08-03-2009, 11:06 AM
FNPs are very safe with no safety... reeeeeeeeeally long DA then super smooth and short SA. I prefer a gun with a hammer compared to a striker for safety reasons as well and would also recommend that for a new shooter. They can actually see what's happening and understand it better.

pullnshoot25
08-03-2009, 11:07 AM
I think we can all agree on that the person behind the gun is the ultimate arbiter of safety.

locosway
08-03-2009, 11:07 AM
FNPs are very safe with no safety... reeeeeeeeeally long DA then super smooth and short SA. I prefer a gun with a hammer compared to a striker for safety reasons as well and would also recommend that for a new shooter.

Again, the only safe gun is the one where the shooter is safe. I don't like to talk about it, but I had a ND on my HK USP 45. It was my fault, and I had to go to the ER for powder burns to my face and eye.

jazman
08-03-2009, 11:15 AM
I think we can all agree on that the person behind the gun is the ultimate arbiter of safety.

Then they should be equally safe with a Glock as any other gun. Any revolver that has a super smooth action/trigger (i.e. Python) or has been customized to have one is as easy to fire as a Glock. Glocks are fine weapons for the beginner.

SCMA-1
08-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Best thing to do is find a range that rents them and try it out side-by-side with others like the Glock,M&P, XD40, etc. I can't tell you how many handguns I refrained from buying after I actually shot them.:rolleyes: Looks aside, that is really the only way to determine if a handgun will work for you.

SCMA-1

locosway
08-03-2009, 11:22 AM
If I were to recommend a handgun to a family member that wasn't proficient in firearms it would be a revolver. The reasoning behind this is they can SEE how the gun works, and understand it better. It's also easier to check and see if it's loaded.

If I felt the family member was proficient enough to handle a semi-auto I would suggest a Glock. If it's loaded, it's ready to fire. If it's not loaded, it's safe. There's no "it's loaded but the safety is on" crap to worry about.

I also can't stress this enough, but if you have the chance to teach someone how to handle a firearm, teach them about trigger safety first. I recently went shooting with my cousin and her husband. Both of them go shooting often, and I was amazed at how many no-no's they did. From loading at the bench to always having their finger on the trigger. I'm glad I did get to go with them so I could show them the proper ways of handing the guns, but it just goes to show you that even a comfortable shooter often has the wrong safety knowledge.

pullnshoot25
08-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Then they should be equally safe with a Glock as any other gun. Any revolver that has a super smooth action/trigger (i.e. Python) or has been customized to have one is as easy to fire as a Glock. Glocks are fine weapons for the beginner.

Pistols are much more involved than a revolver. Also, this gun is a HD/SD gun, not a tuned gun.

I have suggested revolvers but she is fairly intent on a pistol.

huck
08-03-2009, 2:11 PM
I recently bought a FNP-40 and like it fine. I'm a novice and this is my first handgun. It's easy to take apart for cleaning and it shoots fine - especially when I'm not the shooter. Yes, I am handgun challenged...

Mine was about $550 (with 3 mags) OTD from BP.

pullnshoot25
08-03-2009, 2:43 PM
I recently bought a FNP-40 and like it fine. I'm a novice and this is my first handgun. It's easy to take apart for cleaning and it shoots fine - especially when I'm not the shooter. Yes, I am handgun challenged...

Mine was about $550 (with 3 mags) OTD from BP.

I was too for a while. A few bricks of .22 from my Ruger MKII and Single Six solved that problem :)