PDA

View Full Version : Have the Carry Laws eased at all?

Barkoff
08-01-2009, 8:12 PM
Do to the recent court victories, or is it still almost impossible in most counties of CA? I thought that one of the recent court victories actually addressed the underneath bold portion of the CA carry law.

Thank you.

A license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person
may be granted to qualified residents of a county by the sheriff or to qualified residents of a city by
the chief or other head of the municipal police department of that city. Such licenses are issued only
after a finding that the applicant is of good moral character, that good cause exists for such a license,
and the applicant is not prohibited from possessing firearms. Unless otherwise restricted, such a
license is valid throughout the state. Such a license may be valid for any amount of time not to
exceed two years from the date of issuance, unless issued to a judge or magistrate (valid for up to
three years) or specified custodial employees or reserve peace officers (valid for up to four years).

coolusername2007
08-01-2009, 8:51 PM
Do to the recent court victories, or is it still almost impossible in most counties of CA? I thought that one of the recent court victories actually addressed the underneath bold portion of the CA carry law.

Thank you.

Interesting way to ask the question. I was having a similar discussion elsewhere in this forum, but I don't think I was making much progress. see http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2857858&postcount=117 I, like you thought "most counties" don't issue permits, but according to this map 60% of the counties in CA "will issue" carry permits. That's a substantial percentage and was very positive news for me to learn, but that very positive fact seems to get lost in this forum. Just trying to do my part to change people's perspective on the facts.

CSDGuy
08-01-2009, 8:58 PM
If you go by the number of counties that will issue for a reasonably well articulated good cause or even "Personal Protection" vs. the ones that fit in the category of tooth pulling without novocaine or even effectively no issue, the edge goes to the Shall/Easy-ish issue counties. If you look at this issue by population distribution, it's more likely that someone lives in a restrictive issue county than not. Far more likely.

There aren't yet any court victories that I know of that have made things better for everyone. With luck, there will be...

Barkoff
08-01-2009, 9:10 PM
OK, thanks, I'm living in a maroon county, so I guess I'll put off trying.

I had heard that one of the cases that went to trial addressed the policy of having to prove you had a special cause for a permit, instead of everyone having a right to carry unless the state could prove you somehow violated that right.

hoffmang
08-01-2009, 10:13 PM
We are working on it in realtime. Please read about Sykes et al v. McGinness et al (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Sykes_v._McGinness)

-Gene

CSDGuy
08-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Note to the OP: the Sykes case has the potential to be a game-changer in this arena.

reachfell
08-01-2009, 11:34 PM
This might be somewhat irrelevant, but does anyone know if it is possible for an 18-y/o to get a CCW with a passed-down handgun? Just curious to know if legal adults have any rights in TPRK.

hoffmang
08-02-2009, 12:07 AM
This might be somewhat irrelevant, but does anyone know if it is possible for an 18-y/o to get a CCW with a passed-down handgun? Just curious to know if legal adults have any rights in TPRK.

I was going to say no, but looking at the law I actually see no age restriction in the Penal Code for a CCW. My favorite Penal Code source is mis-formatting things this evening so I may be incorrect.

-Gene

Librarian
08-02-2009, 12:17 AM
I was going to say no, but looking at the law I actually see no age restriction in the Penal Code for a CCW. My favorite Penal Code source is mis-formatting things this evening so I may be incorrect.

-Gene

No age limit mentioned.

(Findlaw seems to have lost all of its carriage returns - started a few days ago.)

Comes up occasionally; someone remembers knowing of an under-18 CCW holder some years back.

That said, it seems pretty unlikely that a Sheriff is going to buy that an 18 year old has 'good cause', even in the most sensible areas.

pullnshoot25
08-02-2009, 12:24 AM
No age limit mentioned.

(Findlaw seems to have lost all of its carriage returns - started a few days ago.)

Comes up occasionally; someone remembers knowing of an under-18 CCW holder some years back.

That said, it seems pretty unlikely that a Sheriff is going to buy that an 18 year old has 'good cause', even in the most sensible areas.

Chyeah, considering that 99.9% of 21+yr olds can't come up with a good enough reason as it is.

Futurecollector
08-02-2009, 3:32 AM
No age limit mentioned.

"I live in compton" sounds like a good reason to me :rolleyes:

Barkoff
08-02-2009, 7:22 AM
We are working on it in realtime. Please read about Sykes et al v. McGinness et al (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Sykes_v._McGinness)

-Gene

Thank you for that. Good job, and great site, soon as this unemployed construction driver finds work, I'll do my part.

Midian
08-02-2009, 7:31 AM
Imagine fully shall issue CCW in CA.

But you'd have to carry with a trigger lock.

The California way of doing things.

Barkoff
08-02-2009, 8:41 AM

I'd laugh, but only if I knew for sure it wouldn't come to fruition.

hoffmang
08-02-2009, 10:58 AM

Amusing but not likely. The Sykes case makes the "functional firearm for self defense" point.

-Gene