PDA

View Full Version : Law Clarification

Barkoff
08-01-2009, 6:52 PM
Good day.

I'm new to your board, I was referred from another hunting board I frequent. I have yet to find out the law in regards to hand guns in campers or hotel rooms in CA. I don't want to ask a LEO, becasue I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get the law, rather popular LEO wisdom.

If you are traveling and you keep your firearm in the back of your truck, when you go to bed at night in your camper shell, are you legal if you have a loaded firearm with you in the back of your camper?

Likewise if you travel with a firearm in your trunk, are you lawful to take the firearm into the hotel room and load it for protection?

Thank you.

locosway
08-01-2009, 7:28 PM
Without citing the specific law, yes.

You can have a loaded firearm in your permanent or temporary residence (automobiles not included). However a camper should fit the description if not moving and motel/hotel is covered as well.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf

^ You might want to go through it just so you read it for yourself.

Barkoff
08-01-2009, 7:47 PM
Thnakd for the link, I'll give that a read.

I started browsing through it and was surprised to see somebody convicted of misdemeanor assault can lose the right to possess a firearm for ten years? So if you hit a guy during an altercation you can lose the right to own your firearms for ten years?

I wonder if that goes for verbal assault?

snobord99
08-01-2009, 8:27 PM
If you hit a guy, that's battery. The actual hitting of a person is battery. A swing that misses or a realistic threat of a battery is an assault. For those, if you get convicted, you can be convicted of a misdemeanor that may amount to your loss of your right.

But, if you just really hate a guy, go call him a douchebag all you want. There's no crime there; you're :thumbsup: there.

Big Jake
08-01-2009, 9:11 PM
I travel frequently and from what I understand a hotel room is just like your home. You have a reasonable expectation of privacy and the same rules that apply to your home generaly apply in a hotel.

The exception to that would be that if the hotel specifically bans firearms on their property and notifies guests ofthis via proper signage.

locosway
08-01-2009, 10:07 PM
I travel frequently and from what I understand a hotel room is just like your home. You have a reasonable expectation of privacy and the same rules that apply to your home generaly apply in a hotel.

The exception to that would be that if the hotel specifically bans firearms on their property and notifies guests ofthis via proper signage.

but then you aren't breaking a law, and who would know anyway?

Only thing the hotel could do is ask you to leave if you break their rules, nothing more.

mej16489
08-02-2009, 11:14 AM

No Guns signs at businesses have absolutely no weight of law. IF they somehow found out, the worst they could do is ask you to leave...and if you refuse, criminal trespass.

Hayashi Killian
08-02-2009, 1:10 PM
And if they ask you to leave, you're within your right to ask for a full refund. Works in a movie theater if you bring in "contraband" food items, either they'll refund you or say sod it and let you go about, rather than losing the money.

AJAX22
08-02-2009, 7:40 PM
If you are traveling and you keep your firearm in the back of your truck, when you go to bed at night in your camper shell, are you legal if you have a loaded firearm with you in the back of your camper?

Likewise if you travel with a firearm in your trunk, are you lawful to take the firearm into the hotel room and load it for protection?

I always do. when camping on the side of the road in a motor home, or spending the night in a hotel room I keep a loaded gun accessible at all times.

the only way anyone is going to find out is if I have to use it, and well to be perfectly honest I'd rather be alive to face the music than suffer the consequences resulting from being unprepared.

To my understanding it is legal, however the legality of that particular course of action is just not a determining factor.

Bad things can easily happen in a camper in the middle of nowhere, and bad things can easily happen in hotel rooms (or anywhere else people may have easy access to the place where you sleep)