PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinions On The Taurus Millinium .45

ANARCANGEL
08-01-2009, 5:59 PM
We looked at the guns at Bass Pro Shops. Seems like a nice weapon and the size is right for CCW. Anybody out there shoot or own one? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Of course my other choice is the Glock, but the 36 is a little bigger than I care for.

ojisan
08-01-2009, 6:30 PM
Frame-mounted push-down-to-fire thumb safety for me!
Especially for a CCW gun.

ANARCANGEL
08-01-2009, 9:23 PM
I really like that also. There must not be a lot of guys here that have shot one....or have much knowledge of the Taurus. I guess it's not really the "sexy" gun to have. :confused:

hooookup
08-01-2009, 9:39 PM
Ive got the PT145. Ive had it since 2002 and it's been a pretty good little gun. However, it has been back to the shop twice for repairs. The first time was for a cracked frame which was happening to a lot of the earlier models and the second time was for a broken trigger assembly. The first time I sent it back they covered shipping to and from and even gave me an extra mag. Second time, shipping was on me, they charged me to replace the broken trigger and no free mag on the return. Second time, gun was gone for a little over 3 months. Their customer service has gone way down. All in all, it's been a good gun for the price, however if I had to do it all over again, I would spend the extra dough and get a GLOCK 30.

Z ME FLY
08-01-2009, 9:44 PM
Ive got the PT145. Ive had it since 2002 and it's been a pretty good little gun. However, it has been back to the shop twice for repairs. The first time was for a cracked frame which was happening to a lot of the earlier models and the second time was for a broken trigger assembly. The first time I sent it back they covered shipping to and from and even gave me an extra mag. Second time, shipping was on me, they charged me to replace the broken trigger and no free mag on the return. Second time, gun was gone for a little over 3 months. Their customer service has gone way down. All in all, it's been a good gun for the price, however if I had to do it all over again, I would spend the extra dough and get a GLOCK 30.

Would you spend the extra dough because of the problems you had with it?

sholling
08-01-2009, 11:46 PM
I looked at one and even put it on layaway before canceling and buying an S&W M&P from the same dealer instead. First off I hated the sights. Second the grip didn't feel like it would last. Third was the lack of accessories. But the biggie for my was Taurus' horrible reputation for quality control and service. I understand that they are doing a little better but for a few years the their poor customer service and extended (supposedly up to a year) delays for repairs were the stuff of Internet legends. I just don't want to wait 1-12 months for a repair. I know that they have fanboys but the only way I'd buy a Taurus is from a dealer that gives their own lifetime warranty.

gumby
08-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Had mine now for 4 yrs. Great little gun and only 30oz loaded with 165g corbons.

Miltiades
08-02-2009, 4:52 AM
The thing that put me off on this gun was my experience a couple of years ago in a gun training class in Arizona. I was standing at the shooting range next to a fellow with a brand new .40 caliber version of this Taurus gun. His gun was failing to ignite about half of the rounds he was trying to fire, getting light primer strikes. Finally he went out to his car and came back with a Ruger GP100 revolver to finish the class. The Ruger worked fine, as did the Sig P229 I was using.

It is a simple decision. Do you want a "bargain" gun that may not work, or will you pay the price for a gun of known quality?

hooookup
08-02-2009, 7:57 AM
Would you spend the extra dough because of the problems you had with it?

Yes. Cracked frame = no bueno. I guess the trigger breaking might be a little more my fault? Not sure why as I baby that gun. But according to Taurus it was my fault. Their customer service sucks. If I spend that kind of money on a gun, I dont want to worry about if its going to work or not when I need it.

sholling
08-02-2009, 8:45 AM
Yes. Cracked frame = no bueno. I guess the trigger breaking might be a little more my fault? Not sure why as I baby that gun. But according to Taurus it was my fault. Their customer service sucks. If I spend that kind of money on a gun, I dont want to worry about if its going to work or not when I need it.

Any weapon that you have to baby is utterly useless for self defense.
Unless you modified the trigger how in the heck could it be your fault? I'd love to hear the details because it sounds very much true to form.

Z ME FLY
08-02-2009, 9:23 AM

Good point. I would agree to spend the extra money and get something that will have less problems. I guess that's why I never got a taurus revolver. I heard good things but also a lot of bad things too, didn't want to take a chance. I rather spend an extra $100 and get a ruger.

B Strong
08-02-2009, 12:55 PM

Reason enough for me to never spend my money on one.

gozuki
08-02-2009, 3:18 PM
I have a PT140 millenium pro, and also a glock 27. The taurus has been running great for about 6 years now, zero issues.

neomentat
08-02-2009, 3:25 PM
STAY AWAY FROM Taurus, their guns are hit or miss and their customer service is horrible.

I bought a NEW .357 magnum revolver around 4 years ago, the timing locked up in less than 200 rounds down the pipe (can't pull the trigger, the guns is completely locked), not to mention the trigger pull was HEAVY. Send it back to Taurus ($50), and after 7 month and about 30 calls, they finally said it can not be fixed and will be sending me a new revolver as replacement. (FFL transfer fee & DROS) Needless to say I traded in that pieces of **** to my FFL for credits on another gun.

If you buy a Taurus, be prepared to use their "Life Time Warranty" ALOT, and spend lots of cash on shipping.

groovielou
08-02-2009, 5:56 PM
I have had the PT145 for about 2 years now, put about 500 down the pipe. Out of the box I had a few light primer strikes, once I gave it a good cleaning and got rid of the shipping cosmoline, it has been running fine. It's a fun pistol to shoot. My wife prefers it over my full size Glock.

I originally bought the PT145 for CCW purposes, however, I now favor a lighter, thinner pistol. I carry a Kahr.

Your mileage may very...