PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 9mm 33rd mags into 40 s&w?

TZL
08-01-2009, 2:14 PM
So I just added my first 40 s&w to the collection (G35)

So here is a question, I have about two dozen pre-ban G17 17rounders and 8 or 9 33 rounders....

I'm pretty sure its ok to rebuild G17 17 rounders into G22 15 rounder 40 s&w mags....using rebuild kits and documenting destroying the old parts etc...

But is there anyway to alter the 33 rounders to hold/feed 40 S&W? just for fun i think it would be cool to have a couple of 25+ rounders in 40 s&W

anyone know if this is possible /fesible? or are the parts just not compatible?

thanks in advance,

TZL

One Shot, One Dropped
08-01-2009, 9:08 PM
Legally, I believe there is some requirement that you can rebuild mags only so long as the modifications don't render them unusable in the original gun they were designed for, but I'm not good at finding correct laws to back such things up. I think changing calibers could be an issue, but since the mags should fit in a .40 model too, I bet you could still use them in the 9mm (nobody says it has to feed really well ("Yeah, I rebuilt a mag poorly, how about that", or something)) even after you modify them. I don't know, I'm not the most knowledgeable on Glocks and this matter specifically. I'm also very surprised nobody has chimed in yet.

As far as physical possibility/feasibility, I believe you would just have to modify the lips and possibly the follower (or maybe just the lips, or maybe nothing).

Anyone else?

TZL
08-02-2009, 9:35 AM
yeah I know that 9mm mags fit in the 35 frame b/c 9mm conversions on a 40S&W using lone wolf barrels run g17 mags...so the bodies are good to go

There isn't a huge different in weight of 9mm and 40S&W so i'm assuming the springs will work, so probably just a new follower and maybe tweaking the feedlips....

anyone else have ideas or input?

C_1
08-02-2009, 2:51 PM
That would be my best guess, tweaking the feed lips, and maybe switching out the follower. I dont know how reliable it would be though..

And like some one stated earlier, I dont think you can switch calibers, because the mag has to work with the gun that it was for. But then again, 9mm and 40sw mags fit in the Glock 17 and Glock 22..

TZL
08-02-2009, 4:39 PM
well i rebuild some old 30 rd 5.56 AR15 mags to fit 25 rounds of 6.8spc....

its the same spring just new body and new follower....same firearm (the lower) so that is pretty legit, so as long as it still fits the same firearms...nothing says that it has to work well in the original :43:

That would be my best guess, tweaking the feed lips, and maybe switching out the follower. I dont know how reliable it would be though..

And like some one stated earlier, I dont think you can switch calibers, because the mag has to work with the gun that it was for. But then again, 9mm and 40sw mags fit in the Glock 17 and Glock 22..

C_1
08-06-2009, 7:56 PM
Hey TZL, you might want to check this out:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=203083

Greg-Dawg
08-06-2009, 7:57 PM
I wouldn't do it.