View Full Version : Is it legal to have ammo shipped to a house???

08-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Is it legal in California to have ammo shipped to one's home?

08-09-2005, 11:23 AM
yes all day long.

08-09-2005, 11:38 AM
What about in the city of LA.

08-09-2005, 11:43 AM
I believe both LA and SF have bans on that. Check your local laws.

08-09-2005, 12:36 PM
I think Sacremento does to. I remember seeing that in a Cheaper Than Dirt Catalog that they won't send ammo to Sacremento.

08-09-2005, 7:25 PM
Does anyone know for certain that it's illegal to have ammo shipped in SF and LA?

08-09-2005, 8:20 PM
not sure it's illegal. call the city attorney's office and make them give you the statute or code section.

08-09-2005, 8:28 PM
It is legal in Los Angeles. If you mean San Francisco by posting SF I have no idea. If you mean San Fernando that's part of Los Angeles.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-09-2005, 11:04 PM
San Francisco has a law on the books that says ammo dealers need to check the ID of anybody buying ammo from them. Some mail/internet ammo sellers interpret this to mean that they need to check your ID in person. Others will accept a photocopy/scan of your ID.

I think Los Angeles has a similar law. But until recently, most ammo dealers seemed to only refuse to ship handgun ammo to LA. Now many are refusing to ship rifle ammo too.

08-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Cheaper than dirt sends me ammo, I live in the county of LA.

08-10-2005, 5:28 AM
I'm not sure about CTD, but Sportsman Guide will not ship ammo to Marin, Yolo, and Ventura county.

08-10-2005, 7:22 AM
Marin County also prohibits shipping of ammo and pocket knives through the mail.

08-10-2005, 8:03 AM
I live in Los Angeles County and have no problem getting ammo from midway or ammoman. There is no law prohibiting it that I know of, some ignorant companies think everything is illegal in California.

08-10-2005, 4:39 PM
The said dumb ordinance in Los Angeles city regarding ammunition has never solved any crime. It places a burden on those who sell ammunition to keep records on who buys ammo. They take your thumbprint personal information etc.

This law has nothing to do with buying or bringing outside ammunition into Los Angeles. This law is for dealers at the point of sale within Los Angeles city.

08-10-2005, 5:05 PM
Midway will not sell some of their hollow point ammunition into Los Angeles, but I have never had a problem mail ordering.

08-12-2005, 7:33 PM
AIM Surplus, Midway, S.O.G., Century Arms will NOT ship ammo to a San Francisco address, unless it is a dealer. Sportsman's Guide will ship to a SF address. Ammuntion Store &
Ammo Bank will ship to a SF address, after you send them a copy of your driver's license. Buffalo Arms will ship ammo to a SF address, if you send them a e-mail attachment of a scanned copy of your driver's license

08-26-2005, 3:02 PM
be careful though.

i ordered a case from CDNN, IIRC.

i waited and tracked it via UPS.

on the scheduled day, i waited.

heard the doorbell ring, i walked to the door. too less than 15 seconds and as i opened the door, i see the case laying on the doormat and the sound of the UPS truck driving away.

on the sticker, big RED one: "MUST BE SIGNED BY AN ADULT"...

great. imagine if i wasnt at home...

what can brown do for you...

09-11-2005, 12:37 AM
"Marin County also prohibits shipping of ammo and pocket knives through the mail."

Uhhh...wait a minute.I live in Marin,
San Rafael specifically.
I get ammo delivered all the time.A lot of the
sellers(Sportmans guide) don't have the balls or the legal department to sort through every towns laws.
I don't buy ANYTHING from them!

09-11-2005, 10:35 AM
By the way, STAY VIGILANT! A law almost passed last year which would have prohibited direct shipment of ammo to individuals here in Kali!!