PDA

View Full Version : Poly vs Alloy Frame

dfletcher
07-31-2009, 11:53 PM
If a company such as Kahr can manufacture their little semi auto MP40 or 9 in a steel frame and in a poly frame, is there any reason they can't make it in an alloy frame?

I generally don't like DAO semi pistols, but I kind of like this little gun. The steel frame version is a touch too heavy for carry compared to my EMP or Defender or a few J frame Smiths and I just can't stand plastic framed handguns.

Anything?

Miltiades
08-01-2009, 5:45 AM
I'm sure Kahr could design and manufacture an aluminum frame version of their guns. I presume their decision not to do so is based on their analysis of the market for their products.

Kahr's polymer guns are clearly oriented to customers who want a smaller CCW gun that is as lightweight as possible, often for pocket carry. Since an aluminum gun would weigh more than Kahr's polymer models, it would not compare well for these customers.

Kahr's original steel guns seem more oriented to customers who will belt carry but still want a substantial, durable gun of smaller dimensions. While use of an aluminum frame would save a few ounces over steel, the difference may be minor for those using a belt holster. A steel Kahr MK9 weighs 24 ounces and a polymer Kahr PM9 weighs 16 ounces, so an aluminum frame gun of the same dimensions might weigh about 20 ounces. The four ounce savings in belt carry is minor, but a 4 ounce increase in pocket carry is significant. So I don't think the aluminum guns would sell as well as the polymer or steel, and would just cannibalize sales of those other two types anyway.