PDA

View Full Version : Purchase guns from the web

cityhunter
06-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Hi,

I have been hanging around this site for a while to try to absorb all the information and knowledge you guys have provided. Now, I finally decide to purchase a Glock 19 as my first gun ever. I am thinking to buy it from the topglock dot com since the price is cheaper and no sale tax.

Any of you have the experience of purchasing a firearm from the web? Anything I need to pay a attention to? Is there any good dealer I can pick up the delivery from?( I live in San Jose)

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance

Turbinator
06-18-2005, 6:52 AM
You can use Rob Blank in Milpitas for the transfer - he can be reached at:

rmbent@aol.com

He will charge you a reasonable fee to receive the firearm from the out-of-state dealer, which would be DROS ($35) + $40, I believe. You should confirm with him as it has been awhile since I've spoken to him.

Just ensure you have everything lined up - Rob needs to contact topglock for their FFL, and vice versa. You need your proof of residency, a CA approved gun lock + receipt OR a safe affidavit on hand, you need to pass the HSC and have your card on hand, you need to show safe handling with your item, you need to transport your gun in a legal manner with a lock, you need to ensure your driver license address matches your proof of residency.

It's a long list but welcome to California. Please ask any more questions as you see fit.

Turby

dwtt
06-19-2005, 1:10 PM
If you are looking for a Glock, you might want to look in Shotgun news and give Bachman Pawn and Gun a call. They are in Texas and sell new Glocks for less than $500. I got my Glock from them.
Ok, I looked up their ad. 9mm and .40cal Glocks are $449.95 and .45 and 10mm are $489.95. S&H is $20. Phone number is 214-351-0572

Inoxmark
06-19-2005, 1:25 PM
Another thing to be aware of: of you purchase out-of-state, make sure the gun is shipped with 10rd mags, not the standard ones.

cityhunter
06-19-2005, 3:37 PM
Thank you all for the good advices. If the local dealer who will accept the delivery will charge some money for that, then the purchase from web is not much cheaper and I amy choose to support the local dealer.

I heard that Reed's will have a sale in mid July. Anybody know the exact date and detail?

Turbinator
06-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Reed's sale always happens around July 4th, it's their annual July 4th parking lot sale. It's coming up!!

Turby

BigAL
06-20-2005, 2:07 PM
Just wanted to chime in that the Glock 19 is a great gun. I carry mine a lot and trust my life to it. There have been some problems with recent third generation G19s not liking the 10 round mags, which have the 2183 follower and tend to cause the last round to get stuck on the feed ramp. This usually manifests itself with hollow point bullets the most, so be sure you fire a good number of your self defense ammo to be sure it works. Sometimes a change to the 9mm3 or 9mm4 followers helps.

http://members.cox.net/abussard/Glock1.jpg

railroader
06-20-2005, 4:29 PM
http://www.kyimports.com/glock.htm#Glock Used glocks for reasonable prices. Mark

RSO
06-20-2005, 5:39 PM
Last year Reed's sale was July 15 through the 18th (Thursday to Sunday). This year I would guess July 14 through 17.

Turbinator
06-22-2005, 7:23 AM
Hey BigAl, what's with your grip?? Is it supposed to look like that?

Turby

rawny@mac.com
06-22-2005, 7:25 PM
Originally posted by Turbinator:
Hey BigAl, what's with your grip?? Is it supposed to look like that? That's AGrip (http://www.brookstactical.com). I have it installed on all my Glocks as well. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

http://www.brookstactical.com/media/Agrip3.jpg

BigAL
06-22-2005, 7:33 PM
Yup Rawney beat me too it. It's AGrip. I was gonna humor you by telling you my Glock had leprosy.

I tried the orig grip and found the finger groove areas too rough on my skin, especially after ~300-400 round sessions. Started looking around at all the aftermarket grips like Hogue, etc. Didn't like the slip on grips as they can rotate and they add bulk to an already bloated double stack grip. Bought an AGrip and never looked back. It's kinda velvety feeling and the grip gets better as your hands get wet. It has some sort of very neat adhesive where it will stay put but won't leave residue if you want to take it off. The top part of mine is all ragged cuz I trimmed it to make sure it wouldn't interfere with slide operation. Had it for ~1 year now, and my only complaint is that if you carry or use the gun a lot, the velvety feel goes away and you will need to replace it. But it's well worth it for $20. They make pre-cut sizes to match most popular pistol grips, or you can get a generic size and trim it to your needs. I've been thinking about adding some to the pistol grip on my AR.

Turbinator
06-23-2005, 8:21 AM
How interesting. Velvet grips. What will they think of next...? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Turby

maxicon
06-23-2005, 4:36 PM
That's good info. I've got a new (to me) G17 that came with a Hogue Handall, but I didn't like it for the reasons you gave and peeled it off.

The regular grip is definitely too rough for me, and gets pretty irritating after a hundred rounds. This sounds like just the ticket.

max

bu-bye
06-24-2005, 3:11 PM
Glock makes a great gun. Its is the most trustworthy gun you can buy IMO. I did my own test buy not cleaning or putting lub on my 3rd gen G17 for 3000 rounds. Not one FTF. I planned to keep shooting it durty until it FTF but I could not stand the durt and grime anymore and decided 3000 was enough. Here is a picture of 17 round groups at 15 yards with my glock.....

http://64.124.188.245:8081/glock/glockgroup.jpg

maxicon
06-25-2005, 4:56 PM
I know lots of people like Glocks, but I'm having a hard time getting used to my new G17. I've only had it out a few times, but that trigger and hard plastic frame are driving me nuts. I've ordered a 3.5# disconnector - that may help.

I can shoot my CZ75s and 1911 into nice, tight groups, but this one just isn't growing on me yet, and it's not a very natural pointer for me.

I've also had a couple of light strikes (out of a few hundred rounds) on American Eagle ammo that touched off fine in my Sig. I know this isn't normal for a Glock, and I don't know if the guy I got it from tweaked anything, but I don't think so.

I'll give it another thousand rounds or so and see if I want to keep it.

max

BigAL
06-25-2005, 8:00 PM
Originally posted by maxicon:
I know lots of people like Glocks, but I'm having a hard time getting used to my new G17. I've only had it out a few times, but that trigger and hard plastic frame are driving me nuts. I've ordered a 3.5# disconnector - that may help.

I can shoot my CZ75s and 1911 into nice, tight groups, but this one just isn't growing on me yet, and it's not a very natural pointer for me.

I've also had a couple of light strikes (out of a few hundred rounds) on American Eagle ammo that touched off fine in my Sig. I know this isn't normal for a Glock, and I don't know if the guy I got it from tweaked anything, but I don't think so.

max

Actually if there is a weakness to a striker fired gun it's that it hits the primer more weakly than a hammer fired gun. This can become more of a problem when the striker channel gets real dirty/someone fools with the striker spring and tries to lighten it/ or someone puts lube in the striker spring. The good news is taking the slide apart is very easy on a Glock so you can get in there with a Q-tip and clean it out. Make sure you leave it dry when yopu are done. I do this every 1000 rounds or so because I carry this gun and practice with very dirty reloads. Haven't had any problems with light striker hits.

I have the 3.5 lb connector in my G19 and prefer it to the 5.5 lb one. If you are really adventurous and only use this gun as a range plinker, a dremel and a little grinding can yield about as close to a 1911 trigger as possible. Got a friend who shoots a lot of IPSC and can do some pretty amazing things to a Glock trigger. That's the benefit of Glocks, if you screw up the trigger assembly, a replacement is cheap and drops right in.

Turbinator
06-25-2005, 9:11 PM
Originally posted by maxicon:

If you opt to sell it, I'm sure one of us Calgunners can give it a nice home for a modest fee. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Turby