PDA

View Full Version : Transfer between relatives

FK300
07-31-2009, 4:43 PM
What are the rules for me (non FFL holder) wanting to take a handgun to an FFL dealer (consignment sale) that belonged to a recently deceased brother-in-law?

Firearm is in the possession of a PD and will be up for release in the coming week/month. I don't want to take "possession" of it for a minute unless I know that I've complied with all legal requirements. Wanting to help the family out by trying to do a PPT sale or transfer to an FFL for consignment. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

tenpercentfirearms
08-01-2009, 7:46 AM
What are the rules for me (non FFL holder) wanting to take a handgun to an FFL dealer (consignment sale) that belonged to a recently deceased brother-in-law?

Firearm is in the possession of a PD and will be up for release in the coming week/month. I don't want to take "possession" of it for a minute unless I know that I've complied with all legal requirements. Wanting to help the family out by trying to do a PPT sale or transfer to an FFL for consignment. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

So when it is released, who does it belong to?

kemasa
08-01-2009, 11:44 AM
There is a form which needs to be filled out:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/legr.pdf

but it seems that the problem might be that you are not the owner. Your sister would need to be the one to get it or you can see if a FFL will do it for you.

glockwise2000
08-01-2009, 6:23 PM
I don't think you could legally own the firearms from a brother-in-law. Your sister, your brother-in-laws wife, will be the one officially who could claim the firearms. Then, she could be the one who could only do PPT on the item/s.

This is what I know. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

tenpercentfirearms
08-02-2009, 6:10 AM
Unless we know who it was bequeathed to from the estate, we can't really answer your question of who can PPT or consign it.

If it went to your wife, then she has to do it. If it goes to you, you can do it. So in otherwords, whoever gets it from the estate is the one that should technically do it.

However, I do not believe the CA DOJ is going to care or notice that you go to PPT it. They only tend to care who it ends up with as that is who it is listed with in their database.

FK300
08-03-2009, 8:28 AM
I called DOJ and they said the same thing that you indicated....it seems that the easiest way to get the firearm sold is to have an FFL dealer pick it up from the PD and do a consignment sale (since I am not the benificiary from the estate...my sister is). The loss of money by having an FFL dealer do it for a consignment fee would probably be about the same as if I went through all the hastle and fees by getting it into my name in an attempt to sell it. Thanks for your time and input.