PDA

View Full Version : quality time with my Colt

movie zombie
07-31-2009, 4:56 PM
this afternoon i spent 1-2 hours quality time with my colt officer's series 80 mark IV .45 acp......but not at the range. i set at the table and took her apart and put her back together again i don't know how many times. i can get it apart very quickly but putting her back together again is a bit hard due to my small hands but over the time i found a relatively easy and reliable method that works for me. i think i love this pistol even more now that i've gotten to know her more intimately!

anyone else have this experience?

mz

ps thanks to Joe at markley's who gave me some tips when i was last in there!

Mikeb
07-31-2009, 5:03 PM
No Offense, but nothing says lovin' like a detail strip :o
Taking it down to the last pin is , I believe,the way to best understand how things work.
take care
Mike

Blademan21
07-31-2009, 5:05 PM
When I had 1911's I just removed the slide release to remove the slide and barrel for cleaning. Have to make sure the barrel link is down when putting it back together. That was faster than using a barrel wrench,for me anyway. Is that how you take yours down?

Neil McCauley
07-31-2009, 5:14 PM
Don't forget to lube it up nice before you put it back together :D

movie zombie
07-31-2009, 6:29 PM
there are a few steps before removing the slide release....no, i'm not doing a detail strip......

barrel link has to be straight up [45 degree to the barrel] on this one: it was having it down that got me into trouble!

and, yes neil, there was oil involved.....!

any advice re what to make sure to clean and what to avoid? the manual actually doesn't say! i wish the tool kit were available as this one didn't come with it. i must say i do not regret purchasing this pistol: a big thank you to CenterX who was the patient seller.

mz

Stanze
07-31-2009, 6:34 PM
Test fire it at the range before trusting it to self-defense use.

movie zombie
07-31-2009, 6:38 PM
plan to next week! nothing like getting to know this pistol better than i want to run off with her to the range!

in the meantime, my trusty smith model 60 is loaded with .357 next to me at night.

mz

Colt
07-31-2009, 9:45 PM
Great pistol - enjoy. As for what to clean - everything you can after the field strip. If it's blue, you may want to run an oily rag over the xterior after it puts back together. If stainless, same applies but maybe wipe it off after...

B Strong
08-01-2009, 3:16 PM
there are a few steps before removing the slide release....no, i'm not doing a detail strip......

barrel link has to be straight up [45 degree to the barrel] on this one: it was having it down that got me into trouble!

and, yes neil, there was oil involved.....!

any advice re what to make sure to clean and what to avoid? the manual actually doesn't say! i wish the tool kit were available as this one didn't come with it. i must say i do not regret purchasing this pistol: a big thank you to CenterX who was the patient seller.

mz

Lube the barrel exterior, the inside of the barrel bushing, the outside of the barrel bushing, the slide rails and ways.

There will be excess lube coming out of the slide/frame gaps at the rear, pay no attention to it other than to wipe it off.

1911 types like a wet working environment.