PDA

View Full Version : CHP ????

BigJim_610
07-31-2009, 12:38 PM
My 21 YO son drives a stock Honda Prelude, except he has an aftermarket resonator. It is NOT loud. He has been stopped by the CHP four times and our local SO twice. They say the pipe is illegal but do not issue a ticket or tell him to fix it. Each time they "asked" him to open the hood of his car.

Is there a CHP policy on stopping Japanese cars?

I live on a grade that is a shortcut to many popular recreation areas. On the weekends tens of dozens of very very loud motorcycles roar up the grade. We literally cannot speak or hear sometimes.

Recently there was a wine festival down the street and I noticed there was a CHP parked next to about 100 motorcycles. Not one of the bikers were questioned about some of their obvious lack of mufflers.

The CHP guy was just sitting in his car for hours. It seemed to me at the time he could have inquired about the condition of some of the bikes exhaust system instead of sitting in his car for all those hours.

Is there a CHP policy to allow or look the other way when encountering obviously very loud motorcycles?

Motorcyle Owner
A quiet one.

Justin3
07-31-2009, 12:52 PM
Well as a guy who has been pulled over many times for tint and exhaust, I find it strange that they would pull him over and not issue a ticket for the exhaust. The reason to open the hood is obviously to check for any illegal mods to the car.
I don't see why they don't tell him to fix it or cite him for it. Probably just doing it so they have a reason to pull him over to check for illegal mods.

Were the motorcycles older? Were they newer street bikes. I have noticed that guys in older bikes or HDs rarely get pulled over for loudness whereas japanese street bikes get pulled over more often.

Go complain to them if you see a cop there again. I mean they are there for you to utilize. They are government run for civilians.

Fjold
07-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Jim, Your son's car may not be loud when he drives it around where you can hear it but driven differently they can be a lot louder. I have the same issue with my truck exhaust, I'm very careful when I drive around police in it. If he's been pulled over six times for the same problem maybe he should address it.

nicki
07-31-2009, 1:48 PM
It may have to do with how many RPMS the engine runs at more than the noise.

If your exhaust is loud and your engine is spinning at 3 to 4,000 rpms, you are going to sound like you are speeding even though you are driving at traffic flow.

I notice the engines have a high pitch also.

I drive a Trans Am with a 383 stroker, my car is loud, but when I'm on the highway, most of the time my engine is between 1,800 to 2,500 rpms.

Of course how your car sounds is objective. Even though my car is loud, most people like the sound.

Nicki

code33
07-31-2009, 1:50 PM
Officer discretion plays a big role. One officer trying to take on a group may not be a good idea. An officer assigned to a special event is probably there for a specific purpose and cannot be distracted from the special assignment.

Fire in the Hole
07-31-2009, 2:22 PM
My 21 YO son drives a stock Honda Prelude, except he has an aftermarket resonator. It is NOT loud. He has been stopped by the CHP four times and our local SO twice. They say the pipe is illegal but do not issue a ticket or tell him to fix it. Each time they "asked" him to open the hood of his car.

I live on a grade that is a shortcut to many popular recreation areas. On the weekends tens of dozens of very very loud motorcycles roar up the grade. We literally cannot speak or hear sometimes.

Recently there was a wine festival down the street and I noticed there was a CHP parked next to about 100 motorcycles. Not one of the bikers were questioned about some of their obvious lack of mufflers.

The CHP guy was just sitting in his car for hours. It seemed to me at the time he could have inquired about the condition of some of the bikes exhaust system instead of sitting in his car for all those hours.

Is there a CHP policy to allow or look the other way when encountering obviously very loud motorcycles?

Motorcyle Owner
A quiet one.

No.

yzernie
07-31-2009, 2:35 PM

I doubt there is any policy regarding these subjects. Imagine the outrage that would follow if any agency enacted a policy that said 'You can (or cannot) pull over any Japanese cars'.

pat038536
07-31-2009, 2:38 PM
This is what is used to profile japanese cars so that they can be checked for 'illegal street racing mods'. I know someone in Stockton with a *bone stock factory original* Civic that gets pulled over frequently.. reason "loud exhaust"

Modification of Exhaust Systems
27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.
Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

EBWhite
07-31-2009, 3:19 PM
Typically officers use vehicle codes to pull cars over so they can get the owner on something bigger. Many of these ricers are young kids with dope or possible gang members. They need a violation to pull the car over. It seems to me that they get him on that, once they pull up and talk to him they figure he is not a problem so they just let him go...

Unit74
07-31-2009, 5:46 PM
Maybe he should just fix the exhaust and stop whining? Obviously there is an issue. You don't see grandma getting jammed up for her stock Camry do you?

I rarely see any officer issue an exhaust ticket. We use the violation for PC to stop and dig for something deeper. Guns, dope, parolee violations.. etc.

I went to the street racing course and will always do a vehicle inspection if the vehicle appears to have been modified. I was amazed all all the wizbang things these folks do to their cars these days. If anything under the hood has been altered, a trip to the Referee may be assigned.

FWIW... only 3 months after going to the course, I nabbed a stolen motor and a VIN plate removed from a tranny.... Good stuff there.

Jonathan Doe
07-31-2009, 6:31 PM
I drive Japanese cars, and all of them are pretty quiet, even Lexus SC400 with V8 engine.

Doheny
07-31-2009, 8:40 PM
Maybe he should just fix the exhaust and stop whining?

Ya think?

:thumbsup:

Unit74
07-31-2009, 8:46 PM
And to answer your question about the M/C's, I will requote from a PM I sent to another member regarding the inability to enforce ANY air quality standards against bikes after a large enforcement check point we conducted in San Diego County:

Originally Posted by Unit74

I fielded numerous calls by the cited riders and they had a valid gripe. There was nowhere for them to show proof the bikes exhaust was in compliance. This included the "Enduro" style bikes we cited for removal of charcoal canisters.

I called CARB to discuss since many of the MC riders were fighting the cites. We set up all of them on the same court day and CARB came down.

In court, the judge explained to them that there is a very good possibility their bikes are not in compliance. The CARB rep was called to speak and explained to the riders what was and what was not allowed to be done to the emissions systems.

His last comments were that CARB did not have the inspection stations in place to handle MC's at this point. CARB was tasked with ensuring MC's were in compliance and State would provide funding for training of specified and legitimate MC shops to do inspections.

So in essence, although 27151 and various other emissions based laws did apply to MC's, there was no teeth to enforce it. The riders had nowhere to validate their claims the exhaust was in compliance as required in the case of a BAR inspection on a passenger vehicle.

All the cites were dismissed and the riders pretty much gave us the finger and laughed as they walked out.

Afterward, the rep said it's only a matter of time till they have the inspection stations certified. CARB is aggressively pursuing this and our enforcement action (150+ cites) rattled the cage in Sacramento a little. So much so they felt the need to allow the rep to come down.

So that's all I know on the matter.

And with the new budget issues, I don't foresee any new inspection stations coming online anytime soon.

SVT-40
08-01-2009, 11:24 AM
This is what is used to profile japanese cars so that they can be checked for 'illegal street racing mods'. I know someone in Stockton with a *bone stock factory original* Civic that gets pulled over frequently.. reason "loud exhaust"

Modification of Exhaust Systems
27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.
Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

How exactly is that "profiling" ??

If you modify your exhaust system to the point of causing excessive noise YOU are violating the law. LEO's are tasked with finding violators.

It their job to enforce the laws as written. So if you don't like being stopped don't modify the exhaust system on your car.

pat038536
08-01-2009, 11:57 PM
How exactly is that "profiling" ??

If you modify your exhaust system to the point of causing excessive noise YOU are violating the law. LEO's are tasked with finding violators.

It their job to enforce the laws as written. So if you don't like being stopped don't modify the exhaust system on your car.

I guess you missed the part about factory original ie: as originally equipped by the manufacturer.

'Excessive noise' is completely subjective and subject to officer's discretion. Domestic vehicles are not held to the same standard as imports. Example: late model Mustang with aftermarket exhaust vs. Civic with huge 'fart pipe'.

btw.. I l don't like the 'fart pipe', I think they are stupid, but that isn't the point.

cortayack
08-02-2009, 9:37 AM
And to answer your question about the M/C's, I will requote from a PM I sent to another member regarding the inability to enforce ANY air quality standards against bikes after a large enforcement check point we conducted in San Diego County:

And with the new budget issues, I don't foresee any new inspection stations coming online anytime soon.

Good, what a waste of time and money to do smog checks on M/Cs......

Back to the point, If your son isn't getting a ticket, I wouldn't worry about it. I believe someone said it "LEOs most likely see he is a good guy and let him go with a warning"......LEO could've give him a ticket for it and don't. Feel luckly because I've gotten fixit tickets for my bike for much less. So either change the exhaust or not!

Now with M/Cs, I have never been pulled over for a loud exhaust (not extremely loud, or anything) but have been pulled over for other very minor fixit tickets... I've seen days where the CHP is pulling over every bike they can, including me, then next week no CHP in the area.... It must of been special bike enforement week, or something.....

Ron-Solo
08-02-2009, 9:57 AM
Keep your car stock and in good condition and you won't have to worry about stops like that.

Always thought it was strange that people pay good money for a car that was designed by people with training and experience and then trust someone who barely finished high school to modify it so they defeat many of the safety features.

SVT-40
08-02-2009, 11:33 PM
I guess you missed the part about factory original ie: as originally equipped by the manufacturer.

'Excessive noise' is completely subjective and subject to officer's discretion. Domestic vehicles are not held to the same standard as imports. Example: late model Mustang with aftermarket exhaust vs. Civic with huge 'fart pipe'.

btw.. I l don't like the 'fart pipe', I think they are stupid, but that isn't the point.

So again how is that "profiling" ........

ke6guj
08-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Jim, Your son's car may not be loud when he drives it around where you can hear it but driven differently they can be a lot louder. I have the same issue with my truck exhaust, I'm very careful when I drive around police in it. If he's been pulled over six times for the same problem maybe he should address it.yup, how you operate the loud pedal can make a big difference. I had a G60 Corrado that had a very free flowing exhaust; a Hi-flow cat, a cat-back system with a minimal muffler and a proper exhaust tip (no fart can). I could set off car alarms almost at will with it when I wanted to, but never got pulled over because of the noise. Around town, I'd try to keep the revs low by staying in a high gear, and when around 5-0, upshift again, and baby the throttle. Nice and quiet that way:D

forgiven
08-03-2009, 2:26 AM
The japanese cars don't bug me too much, as long as they stay out from underneath my Suburban. I bleed American, but I got to say that when those Harleys come by me its like a knife has been stuck into my ear. Makes me want to grab my gun and get even.

BillCA
08-03-2009, 3:02 AM
Keep your car stock and in good condition and you won't have to worry about stops like that.

Not always.

A former co-worker restored an old Triumph TR-3 and obtained an OEM exhaust system. CHP was always telling him it was too loud, but that's just the way they were.

TenSeven
08-03-2009, 4:01 AM
The CHP is... well... what I like to call "an unto themselves" organization. They do things the way they do that I would never have done.

I have several oddball in-person stories (not all of them funny) regarding the CHP as a former LEO and another as a private citizen after my retirement.

They do what they do, for whatever reason...

Notice one thing about the CHP... Did you ever wonder why the front doors of their cars are painted white while the rear doors are painted black?

The answer is simple:

That way they know what door to get into.

I know, I know, an ancient joke but it is still funny :)

That being said, CHP Officers make traffic stops on CA freeways, which I found to be terrifying under the best of circumstances the very very few times I did the same.

BigJim_610
08-03-2009, 9:48 AM
For all the civil replies. As luck may have it my son got stopped again. This is the third time by the SO. He had (asked) to open his hood again. And this time he was cited for the rear resanotor. The funny thing about this is he was cited and the deputy said "I can hear that its to loud."
Curious how he does that.

My son said he will fight the ticket.

I am going home and drilling the mufflers out of my bike, I hear you can gain hoursepower.

The CHP is... well... what I like to call "an unto themselves" organization. They do things the way they do that I would never have done.

I have several oddball in-person stories (not all of them funny) regarding the CHP as a former LEO and another as a private citizen after my retirement.

They do what they do, for whatever reason...

Notice one thing about the CHP... Did you ever wonder why the front doors of their cars are painted white while the rear doors are painted black?

The answer is simple:

I know, I know, an ancient joke but it is still funny :)

That being said, CHP Officers make traffic stops on CA freeways, which I found to be terrifying under the best of circumstances the very very few times I did the same.

ed bernay
08-03-2009, 1:54 PM
if the cop tells you to open the hood, can't you tell him "no - I do not consent to this search"? if he gives you a ticket for loud mufflers, can't you challenge the ticket in court by asking him to produce the decibel reader and decibel report he used to make the stop in the first place?

just wondering since I don't live in Kali - thank goodness

ed bernay
08-03-2009, 2:08 PM
nevermind. I saw the other thread

pat038536
08-03-2009, 3:36 PM
So again how is that "profiling" ........

Not to be picking on anyone but.. 'they' see a Honda or Toyota or something like this.. (import rice)
http://www.riceboypage.com/shame/hall_of_shame_9/bright_toyota.jpg

or this (domestic rice)
http://www.riceboypage.com/shame/hall_of_shame_9/400SS_side.jpg

with a driver that is: Male, 18-25 and looks like a 'street-racer' and makes the assumption that he is a 'street racer' and pull him over.

Rice-Boy is a stereotype. The typical Rice-Boy can be identified by his car, or rather what he does to it. Generally, Rice-Boy will start out with a car that was not meant to go fast (typically a Honda Civic), and attempt to "fix it up," usually consisting of aftermarket rims, lowering springs and an aftermarket exhaust system with a large exhaust tip. Most Rice-Boy cars (or "Rice Rockets") have the usual complement of stickers proudly displaying features that the car might or might not have, most notably, the Honda VTEC sticker from the later model Preludes, and the plaques from the later model Integras. Rice-Boys do not exclusively drive Japanese cars. There are quite a few fake Mustang '5.0's and Camaro Z28's out there, as well as quite a few strange looking Neons.

Unit74
08-03-2009, 4:45 PM
if the cop tells you to open the hood, can't you tell him "no - I do not consent to this search"?

You are required to submit to an inspection of your vehicle. It's not a search and is addressed in the vehicle code.....

If you choose not to open your hood, and the officer wants to, your car can be impounded for inspection.

SkyStorm82
08-03-2009, 4:53 PM

The answer is simple:

LOL....I do know that some of them even transport prisoners in the front seat next to them.

scr83jp
08-03-2009, 5:23 PM
Jim, Your son's car may not be loud when he drives it around where you can hear it but driven differently they can be a lot louder. I have the same issue with my truck exhaust, I'm very careful when I drive around police in it. If he's been pulled over six times for the same problem maybe he should address it.Get the badge # of the officer the location,date and time then call in a complaint to his sgt or commander,he will hear about it,it's known as harassment. I know the drill I was in le for 38 years.

Fire in the Hole
08-03-2009, 5:37 PM
Get the badge # of the officer the location,date and time then call in a complaint to his sgt or commander,he will hear about it,it's known as harassment. I know the drill I was in le for 38 years.

I did not read that it was the same Officer six different times, the same LE Dept. six different times, or the same county six different times. Just that he had been pulled over six different times.

Steve G
08-03-2009, 5:51 PM
Honda's with fart cans attached bug the **** out of me. So do Harley bikes with straight pipes. I wish I could cruise right next to them with my straight piped race car and blow their ****ing eardrums out. Tell your son to get rid of the fart can.

BigJim_610
08-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Did I say anything about anyone whinning?
Re read what I wrote. I asked about CHP policy. PERIOD.
And I offered an observation on one particular CHP person in their car.

Maybe he should just fix the exhaust and stop whining?

Obviously there is an issue. You don't see grandma getting jammed up for her stock Camry do you?

I rarely see any officer issue an exhaust ticket. We use the violation for PC to stop and dig for something deeper. Guns, dope, parolee violations.. etc.

I went to the street racing course and will always do a vehicle inspection if the vehicle appears to have been modified. I was amazed all all the wizbang things these folks do to their cars these days. If anything under the hood has been altered, a trip to the Referee may be assigned.

FWIW... only 3 months after going to the course, I nabbed a stolen motor and a VIN plate removed from a tranny.... Good stuff there.

Fire in the Hole
08-04-2009, 3:50 PM
Did I say anything about anyone whinning?
Re read what I wrote. I asked about CHP policy. PERIOD.
And I offered an observation on one particular CHP person in their car.

And I answered your question in post #6. That really should have been the end of it, as far as the conditions of the question goes. I understand that your were not interested in discussion of related matters, stories, opinions, etc., so I didn't give any.

MiguelS
08-04-2009, 3:57 PM

But of course they do, after WWII. :p

Exhaust resonator.

Well he wanted a exhaust to be louder and noticed.

He got what he want. Just from the wrong crowd.

+1 on Unit74's comment.

Fire in the Hole
08-04-2009, 5:16 PM
As a big car guy this bugs me a lot. I have a LS1 camaro that has a big cam and long tube headers into a 3" exhaust dumped with the bare minimum you could even call a muffler. Loud as hell lopes and idles like thunder. Window tint dark as hell all the way around. Never been pulled over because of it. Now I drove my buddies little integra around for like 2 days and was pulled over 3 times! Full stock exhaust no window tint, stock wheels, stock height. It had a built motor in it that didn't come from that car but no one would know. 1 time while being pulled over he did ask me to pop my hood, I thought **** I'm gonna get busted for my friends car. He looked under asked about it then said, well seems like its stock. These guys hardly ever know anything about cars even when they are looking at a car that could be impounded and is pretty simple knowledge. They say they spend soooo much money on training these guys but then when it comes down to it, what happened to the training? Like what do they tell these people to look for? Shiny stuff? Anything with a "NOS" sticker on it? Esepcially tickles me when they don't know the CA laws on having nitrous in a car. Uhg sorry for the rant just bugs me that were spending so much tax dollars on training all these guys and there still don't know whats going on under the hood of a car!

An interesting post to be sure. But with all due respect, this is the exact kind of post the the OP was attempting to preclude in this thread, by his opening statement. And the OP's follow-up comment, "I asked about CHP policy. PERIOD."

MILLITIAof1
08-05-2009, 3:04 AM
Maybe he should just fix the exhaust and stop whining? Obviously there is an issue. You don't see grandma getting jammed up for her stock Camry do you?

This post really rubs me the wrong way...

and to the OP, if your kid wants his car to be loud just make sure its also faster than a Crown Vic.:43:
My cars are wet dreams for a fix-it ticket cop but after dealing with such BS and paying a ton of money they no longer have the opportunity to pull me over;):D

Unit74
08-05-2009, 3:24 AM

and to the OP, if your kid wants his car to be loud just make sure its also faster than a Crown Vic.:43:
My cars are wet dreams for a fix-it ticket cop but after dealing with such BS and paying a ton of money they no longer have the opportunity to pull me over;):D

Do you wish to elaborate?

MILLITIAof1
08-05-2009, 3:55 AM
Do you wish to elaborate?
I will try to keep this short and sweet to prevent a ban on my account,

I don't like officers who use BS traffic stops to dig/snoop/infringe on privacy.

Unit74
08-05-2009, 6:27 AM
I will try to keep this short and sweet to prevent a ban on my account,

I don't like officers who use BS traffic stops to dig/snoop/infringe on privacy.

It's not BS.... it's called probable cause.

Ron-Solo
08-05-2009, 7:33 AM
If it's a violation, it's not BS.

FYI, most after market products are intended for off-highway or show use, not for use on the highway, whch is why it is not illegal to sell or buy them, just illegal to operate a car on the highway with them.

If you want your car to sound like a lawnmower on crack, expect to get pulled over and possibly cited.

Lancear15
08-05-2009, 8:00 AM
preludes are slow even when modified. Drop the resonator it isn't fooling anyone but the cops.

BillCA
08-06-2009, 12:11 AM

They have yet to invent the car that can outrun Motorola.
Not even the Bugatti Veyron.

If you have defective equipment -- i.e. a burned out license plate light -- that's not a "BS" stop. That's a legitimate stop. It might be a chicken**** stop, but it's still legitimate.

A "BS" traffic stop is stopping you for something you didn't do or that you did, but was legal and the cop tries to bluff it through just to get a look inside the car and ID the occupants.

BigJim_610
08-13-2009, 12:40 PM
If you want your car to sound like a lawnmower on crack, expect to get pulled over and possibly cited.[/QUOTE]

In my OP I mentioned a large number of motorcycles near my home that are non stock loud and a CHP was seen "guarding" them. Why don't the CHP inspect these bikes for probable cause, loud exhaust.

In my non scientific opinion it is because the owners of the bikes at this particular function were county supervisors, doctors, lawyers and veterans etc.

If it's a violation, it's not BS.

FYI, most after market products are intended for off-highway or show use, not for use on the highway, whch is why it is not illegal to sell or buy them, just illegal to operate a car on the highway with them.

If you want your car to sound like a lawnmower on crack, expect to get pulled over and possibly cited.

Fire in the Hole
08-13-2009, 1:47 PM

In my OP I mentioned a large number of motorcycles near my home that are non stock loud and a CHP was seen "guarding" them. Why don't the CHP inspect these bikes for probable cause, loud exhaust.In my non scientific opinion it is because the owners of the bikes at this particular function were county supervisors, doctors, lawyers and veterans etc.[/QUOTE]

Since none of us were there, we don't know. I don't see in you information what city or county you live in. For a specific answer to you question you wil need to call the Public Affairs Officer at the CHP Office where this occurred. Provide them with the date, time, and location, of said event. That's the only way you will find out for certain.

DVSmith
08-13-2009, 2:12 PM
They have yet to invent the car that can outrun Motorola.
Not even the Bugatti Veyron.

If you have defective equipment -- i.e. a burned out license plate light -- that's not a "BS" stop. That's a legitimate stop. It might be a chicken**** stop, but it's still legitimate.

A "BS" traffic stop is stopping you for something you didn't do or that you did, but was legal and the cop tries to bluff it through just to get a look inside the car and ID the occupants.

I love the fact that someone has defined the difference between bull **** (BS) and chicken **** (CS). :rolleyes:

My son was pulled over for expired registration. It is my car and it turns out the officer was right, by 3 days, in the middle of the month. The only way he could known that is to run the license prior to pulling my son over. Why would he even bother? does he do that for every car he pulls up behind? Maybe it was the 18 year old driving a 02 bone stock red Honda Accord? It is pretty weird, that is all I have to say.

Ron-Solo
08-13-2009, 4:37 PM
I love the fact that someone has defined the difference between bull **** (BS) and chicken **** (CS). :rolleyes:

My son was pulled over for expired registration. It is my car and it turns out the officer was right, by 3 days, in the middle of the month. The only way he could known that is to run the license prior to pulling my son over. Why would he even bother? does he do that for every car he pulls up behind? Maybe it was the 18 year old driving a 02 bone stock red Honda Accord? It is pretty weird, that is all I have to say.

I've recovered a lot of stolen cars that way, along with a lot of other criminals. I never cited for 3 days overdue, even though I legally could have. That's CS.

FWIW You don't need any probable cause to run license plates. They actually have some cars with cameras mounted that continuously run plates vis a dedicated computer system looking for stolen cars, wanted vehicles and people. Interesting technology.

pat038536
08-13-2009, 8:13 PM
I've recovered a lot of stolen cars that way, along with a lot of other criminals. I never cited for 3 days overdue, even though I legally could have. That's CS.

FWIW You don't need any probable cause to run license plates. They actually have some cars with cameras mounted that continuously run plates vis a dedicated computer system looking for stolen cars, wanted vehicles and people. Interesting technology.

I've seen that on 'Parking Wars', if the registration is expired or too many unpaid parking tickets, the boot goes on or vehicle gets towed.

Fire in the Hole
08-13-2009, 8:25 PM
It's been a long time, but there is a formula DMV has for determining what day of a given month that vehicle's registration expires, based upon the last numerical digit on the license plate. My FTO taught me how to do it. I use to use it a lot, but memory is fuzzy now. Of course it it not applicable to vanity plates.

Rally Dave
08-13-2009, 8:46 PM

Always thought it was strange that people pay good money for a car that was designed by people with training and experience and then trust someone who barely finished high school to modify it so they defeat many of the safety features.

So by this logic when you buy a gun you should not modify it?? I think not.

People modify their cars as a hobby just like people modify their guns for the same reason.

Fire in the Hole
08-13-2009, 8:56 PM
So by this logic when you buy a gun you should not modify it?? I think not.

People modify their cars as a hobby just like people modify their guns for the same reason.

True, along as both are modified within the law.

BillCA
08-14-2009, 1:07 AM

Yes, there is a difference between BS and CS stops.

CS stops include things like having a burned out bulb in a license plate light, side marker light, driving a short way with the interior light on, etc. The violation is valid but most of the time not worth it to stop someone for a citation. But if something else has aroused your suspicions about the vehicle, it provides legitimate PC for initiating a car stop. Was your sun driving the car at night? Late at night? Or early in the morning? Combine one of those "CS" reasons with...
- A youthful (minor) driver late at night or very early AM.
- A missing/punched out truck lock
- A broken rear 'vent' window or right-rear side window.
- The driver has trouble shifting/finding the gears
- Driving slower than normal and watching the mirrors.
- Multiple minors in the car late at night.

All of these would indicate a stolen car (10851 CVC) or perhaps kids out looking for trouble. If they drive perfect knowing a cop is behind them, you still have PC to stop.

The BS stops are where the cop intimidates the driver by claiming he "weaved" in his lane or crossed a limit line when no such thing occurred. Or perhaps that his pipes are too loud when they're not. One I hated was cops who said their brake lights were "stuck" on (they seem to magically be okay after the stop).

The reality is that what some folks call "profiling" is nothing more than the officer saying Gee, that's unusual for the time and place. A 16-18 year old driving something like the Aston Martin DB9 below would certainly attract a cop's attention. The primary question being does he have legitimate use of the vehicle?
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Vehicles/06_DB9_V8_Vantage.jpg
Aston Martin DB9 - Elegance with speed
Accords are one of the more frequently stolen vehicles, so my guess is; youthful driver + newer Accord = check for stolen & registered owner.

Not many parents would trust a teen driver with a $186,000 high performance sports car.