PDA

View Full Version : Private Party Transfer - Need Clarification

Phil3
07-31-2009, 10:04 AM
I have read multiple threads regarding private party sales, but am still perplexed on how this works.

If I understand it correctly, the simplest is meeting the customer at the FFL, we do the paperwork, pay the maximum fee of $25 and $10 (buyer should pay this), the FFL hold the firearm, and buyer picks up after 10 days. I am not sure when it is optimum for the buyer to pay the seller for the firearm.

Where I am fuzzy is when the buyer and seller can't meet. How does this work?

Thank you.

- Phil

PolishMike
07-31-2009, 10:05 AM
If the buyer and seller do not meet at the same time and place then it is NOT a PPT.

That would be an FFL transfer and both parties would end up paying and there is no limit for these fees.

halifax
07-31-2009, 10:26 AM
I have read multiple threads regarding private party sales, but am still perplexed on how this works.

If I understand it correctly, the simplest is meeting the customer at the FFL, we do the paperwork, pay the maximum fee of $25 and $10 (buyer should pay this), the FFL hold the firearm, and buyer picks up after 10 days. I am not sure when it is optimum for the buyer to pay the seller for the firearm.

Where I am fuzzy is when the buyer and seller can't meet. How does this work?

Thank you.

- Phil

Can the buyer and seller go to the same FFL at different times? Some FFLs will meet with the seller first and buyer second (albeit, not that common of a practice among FFLs). Otherwise, as has been stated, it's not a PPT.

AgentAK
07-31-2009, 10:27 AM
And the best time for the buyer to pay is right before the paperwork starts.

carsnguns
07-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Get your money from the buyer for the firearm just before you start the paper work at the FFL Dealer's place of business.
Most Dealers require both buyer and seller to be there at the same time.

bwiese
07-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Can the buyer and seller go to the same FFL at different times? Some FFLs will meet with the seller first and buyer second (albeit, not that common of a practice among FFLs).

That's basically how a consignment sale works. When you see a non-Rostered handgun for sale at a gunshop it's consigned (unless it says LE only).

Mr. Beretta
07-31-2009, 7:42 PM
And the best time for the buyer to pay is right before the paperwork starts.

Absolutely ! :)