PDA

View Full Version : video - high speed Desert Eagle

IronSights
07-31-2009, 8:55 AM
Just thought I'd share a few videos I captured of my Desert Eagle .50AE using a high speed camera. These two were captured at 10K frames per second:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuKKMkM1tXI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-JHRXyESEY

I really got blasted with melon on that one. This one was shot at 50K fps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETVGoaxvJZo

you'll have to excuse the limp-wristing in these videos. It was difficult to hold the gun in exactly the right position for the camera.

BTW, this gun is for sale in the Marketplace if anyone is interested. See the following link:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=208102

Greg-Dawg
07-31-2009, 9:11 AM
I would never own a Deagle, good job in getting rid of it.

shmeddie
07-31-2009, 9:12 AM
Wow! The bullet is long gone before you see any recoil!

SONYEXEC
07-31-2009, 9:13 AM
Very cool -- thanks for posting

rtlltj
07-31-2009, 9:14 AM
Nice videos, I love slow motion shots.

IronSights
07-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Greg-Dawg, you may not like the DE, but I've had a ton of fun with it. Especially at night when you can really see the muzzle blast. Friends have always commented on how much fun it is to shoot. The looks on people's faces after the first time they pull the trigger is priceless.

Jeffu
07-31-2009, 11:13 AM

wow what a ************* ******** ********* ****** ****

locosway
07-31-2009, 12:57 PM
I wish I could pick one up... :(

Casual_Shooter
07-31-2009, 1:56 PM
Cool videos!

Kingofthehill
07-31-2009, 2:08 PM

what in the hell was the point of this post? :confused:

Kingofthehill
07-31-2009, 2:12 PM
Too Freaking cool!!!!!!!!!!

SeanCasey
07-31-2009, 2:14 PM
Sweet videos. Very interesting to watch. Even at 50k FPS that bullet is moving pretty quick. I'd love to see the flash and bullet out of Mosin-Nagant at 50k FPS!

jrau13
07-31-2009, 2:28 PM

:confused:

cool videos!

Jeffu
07-31-2009, 2:41 PM
what kinda camera??

Futurecollector
07-31-2009, 2:46 PM
People that dont like them just cant afford them hahaha

mgbebout
07-31-2009, 2:48 PM
Very cool. Desert Eagles are just plain fun to shoot. Thanks for posting and good luck with the sale.

HappyG
07-31-2009, 2:57 PM
It's a total collector's piece. Serves no function, but everyone should have one in their stable...

GoodEyeSniper
07-31-2009, 4:37 PM
Very Nice. I think something around 5k fps would be the money shot, as far as the gun mechanics are concerned. Things happened a bit too slow at 10kfps, though on 50 just watching the hammer fall was crazy enough. And the bullet was very cool to watch.

Good stuff.

trashman
07-31-2009, 4:42 PM
Fantastic videos! And forget the Deagle -- tell us what rig you used to shoot this!

Love the melon vids -- my brother-in-law is a melon farmer...he will love it...

--Neill

ETA - I especially love how, in the melon video, the muzzle blast "peels back" the melon as it starts to explode towards the shooter...reminds me of some of the CGI in the second two Matrix films...

FTC
07-31-2009, 5:28 PM
ETA - I especially love how, in the melon video, the muzzle blast "peels back" the melon as it starts to explode towards the shooter...reminds me of some of the CGI in the second two Matrix films...

first thing i noticed, heck of a shockwave!

porkchop
07-31-2009, 6:03 PM
this is awesome, post more slowmotion vids! what camera are you using, and how much did it cost?

Guns R Tools
07-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Ah. gamer I see.
When polymer pistols came into scene, many hated it but now they are loved by many.
Never say never.

kicker72
08-01-2009, 4:09 AM
Great vids. You gotta love exploding watermelons:cool:

PutTogether
08-01-2009, 6:46 PM
Thank you very much for taking the time to make those, upload them to youtube, and then post them here. Very cool and thoughtful.

I enjoyed them all. It is really interesting to see the bullet long gone before the slide even begins to reciprocate.

tankerman
08-01-2009, 8:41 PM
People that dont like them just cant afford them hahaha
Your comment might actually be dumber than the post your statement is directed towards.

J-cat
08-01-2009, 9:10 PM
Cool videos. Thank You!

GunLover
08-02-2009, 6:43 AM
Great camera work. I have always wanted a DE but never got around to getting one. But i will.

JTROKS
08-02-2009, 7:07 AM
That was awesome! How about doing one on a hard kicking revolver like a 454 Casull or a 460 S&W? You know there are a few folks that say the Desert Eagle has no purpose, but to me my 44 mag DEagle is just too much fun to shoot. With my revolvers I will shoot 12 to 24 rounds of warm loads then quit due to pain starting to sink in. With the DEagle it just soaks up all that bone jarring recoil and you end up shooting all your ammo.

evidens83
08-02-2009, 7:46 AM
Cool vids! Slow motion at its finest!

Turbinator
08-02-2009, 8:34 AM
That is some amazing video. What I want to know is, how'd you get access to high speed cameras??

Turby

PatriotnMore
08-02-2009, 9:06 AM
let me mirror the "great shots" being mentioned. It's amazing, the reality of just how fast the bullet is moving, when you see the time of delay on the cocking of the next round, versus the bullet leaving down range. The melon shot drove that home.

JTROKS
08-02-2009, 9:55 AM
I forgot to mention kudos on the shooter's part. See how steady he held the gun throughout the firing cycle?

Mr. Herbergerber
08-02-2009, 2:12 PM
Thanks fro the videos, just jaw dropping! You can quote the muzzle velocities of different handguns, but seeing the speed of the bullet compared to the slide and case really puts it into perspective. I just recently got a chance to fire a 357 and thought it was really fun. The DE in .50 must be so much more impressive. While it isn't practical, most of us are here because we are enthusiasts, not because we see guns are simply tools. Owning a high powered gun is like a sports car. A Civic would get you around as well or better than a Ferrari but that isn't the point.

J-cat
08-02-2009, 6:32 PM
Just thought I'd share a few videos I captured of my Desert Eagle .50AE using a high speed camera. These two were captured at 10K frames per second:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuKKMkM1tXI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-JHRXyESEY

I really got blasted with melon on that one. This one was shot at 50K fps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETVGoaxvJZo

you'll have to excuse the limp-wristing in these videos. It was difficult to hold the gun in exactly the right position for the camera.

BTW, this gun is for sale in the Marketplace if anyone is interested. See the following link:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=208102

Hey,

Can you make one using a tilt barreled locked breech pistol like a 1911. I'd like everyone to see how the bullet stays in the barrel as the slide/barrel unit recoils to the rear.

IronSights
08-03-2009, 8:41 AM
Hey all! Thanks for the complements on the videos. I work for a company that builds thermal IR cameras and we were doing some experiments with capturing bullets in flight. We had this high speed camera on loan from the manufacturer (Vision Research, I believe) to use as a comparison to the IR. We were mainly testing with .308 rounds. The DE stuff was us having a little fun at the end of the day. Unfortunately we are finished with the testing so the camera had to be returned. I wish I owned one myself but they're really expensive.

Ugly Dwarf
08-03-2009, 12:44 PM
... I wish I owned one myself but they're really expensive.

... I was really hoping to read your response on camera choice to say "Oh, it's a $200 XYZ Brand, they've really come down in price." :)

Thanks for posting those vids.

I was really taken with the speed differences of the hammer falling vs. the effects of recoil vs. the cycling action vs. bullet. Very impressive.

As for DE's... I shoot my brothers .44 every time we're at the range together. It's not something I'd want to carry all day, but it's a hoot to shoot. Good luck with the sale.

Centurion_D
08-03-2009, 1:18 PM
Pretty cool. Look at the recoil on that puppy.

Gunaria
08-03-2009, 1:25 PM
Your comment might actually be dumber than the post your statement is directed towards.

Thanks for the new sig line.:)

soundwave
08-03-2009, 1:47 PM
That is too cool! I got to shoot a friends .50AE DE and it was a lot of fun. We were shooting at a 6" steel plate and I couldn't hi it to save my life, but the cloud of earth it kicked up when I missed was insane. Talk about a hand cannon.

Black Majik
08-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Awesome video! Fantastic job, thanks for sharing with us. :)

xxdabroxx
08-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Darn, that was so cool i was hoping you still had access to the camera. I was hoping to see what the blast that comes out of the cylinder of a revolver between the barrel looks like.

Thanks for sharing!

eric90503
08-04-2009, 5:32 PM
That is some amazing video. What I want to know is, how'd you get access to high speed cameras??

Turby

Phantom camera, plus lots of dough. Or get it approved as a "camera test" lol..

epic4444
08-04-2009, 5:38 PM
hahahaha deagles and baby deagles are great...wish i had to money to get one...or shoot one...awesome videos to