PDA

View Full Version : ccw permit

trigger happy
05-15-2005, 2:56 PM
how many here have a carry concealed permit and what is your choice of weapon?

LongBch_SigP226
05-15-2005, 3:14 PM
I got one recently but not from this State.
I have the non-resident permit from another State.
So I haven't had a chance to carry yet.
But most likely my carry gun will be Glock 30.
It's big and bulky for carry but has power of 45acp and it's damn reliable.

BigAL
05-15-2005, 4:18 PM
I have a Louisiana CCW permit and pack a Glock 19.

50 Freak
05-15-2005, 5:01 PM
I have a Cali CCW and carry a G27, although my permit allows me to carry the G23, G27 or G20.

Kinda see a pattern there?

marklbucla
05-15-2005, 5:49 PM
CZ PCR. Once I move, I'll carry a CZ RAMI instead.

gloxter
05-15-2005, 5:59 PM
California CCW. Weapon of choice: Glock 19

Snorkel Bob
05-15-2005, 7:03 PM
Cali CCW
Glock 23 when I can wear a jacket
Smith 642 during hotter months

Turbinator
05-15-2005, 8:27 PM
I'm really curious how folks actually get CCW's here in CA. Seems tough.

Turby

RobsterCraw
05-15-2005, 9:12 PM
Depends where you are at, I'm in Santa Clara county and its damn near impossible. Not sure what I need to pack a pistol around for right now anyway so I guess I'm not that concerned with it. I'd probably be to lazy to bring my gun with me anyway. Still it would be nice just in case. Anyone that has a Santa Clara CCW, I'd like to hear what hoops you had to jump through for that.

Richard
05-16-2005, 5:55 AM
Cali CCW
Para Stealth pxt(LDA 3" barrel) http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Para Ord. P-14
Glock 19

Turbinator
05-16-2005, 7:11 AM
Originally posted by RobsterCraw:
Not sure what I need to pack a pistol around for right now anyway so I guess I'm not that concerned with it.

I'm also in Santa Clara county, but would really like to be able to have a CCW just "because". This doesn't mean I'd necessarily have to or want to carry all the time but to be able to get a CCW would be mighty fine in my book.

Turby

trigger happy
05-16-2005, 7:25 AM
when i lived in Santa Monica it was ridiculous to even suggest it.since my move to kern county it has been a breath of fresh air.we have our own shooting range pistol and rifle also a trap range for $25 a year and you get a code number for the lock on the gate so you can shoot any time you want 24-7.kern county is like a brake away county from the rest of California.when i got stopped by the chp i mentioned that i was carrying a loaded pistol which is the first thing you should mention.he said that's great can i have your license and registration please.i gave him the papers he wrote me a ticket for no seat belt and off he went.had this of happened in the PR of Santa Monica i am sure SWAT would have been there with the media.i have found that when i first got my permit i would carry 45 cal hi cap p14 but since then i really only feel it nessacary to carry a s&w 7 shot .38+p airlight.interesting story came up at the class.this guy was in a market like vons and he dropped something on the floor ,he bent over to pick it up and expossed his pistol the elderly woman behind him saw this and literly fraked out and had a heart attack.the guy was sued in court for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and lost his case.if you carry in california make sure that no one will know.in kern river valley everyone has one so i dont carry that much up here unless i go to la or bakersfield or even out to the desert where all the tweaks live.

imported_Telpierion
05-16-2005, 7:47 AM
we have our own shooting range pistol and rifle also a trap range for $25 a year and you get a code number for the lock on the gate so you can shoot any time you want 24-7.

Which range is this?

jnojr
05-16-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Turbinator:

http://www.packing.org/gs/ca_counties.gif

rjones0604
05-16-2005, 12:08 PM
California CCW in Kern County
CCW Firearms: Taurus Millenium PT145 (11 rds 45ACP)
Bul M5 (11 rds 45ACP)
Ruger SP101 2" bbl (5 rds .357Magnum)

05-16-2005, 2:37 PM
Originally posted by jnojr:
RE: the CCW Map
-http://www.packing.org/gs/ca_counties.gif

Even from it's source (Packing.org), it's widely accepted that the map is rather optimistic in it's county by county ratings regarding ease of CCW procurement.

The addition of a 2nd Amendment clause to our state constitution would, IMO, be of immense help in establishing irrefutable "good cause" for the application process.

trigger happy
05-16-2005, 8:23 PM
kern valley gun club.(lake isabella)

gloxter
05-16-2005, 8:24 PM
Turbinator: As you can see from the map, it is generally easier to obtain a permit in "rural" areas. I live in one such area. Politics has a LOT to do with the Chief Law Enforcement Officers' generousity in granting permits: they are ELECTED officials in my county, a county of fewer than 200,000 residents. The process was rather simple. Take an approved course, qualify, have prints taken, pay the fee, and submit a "cause" statement. There are a multitude of causes, or reasons that people use. Unfortunately, what may work in one county, might not work in another. It's sad, but true. It's hipocritical that a just cause, and a successful one at that is: "carry(ing) large sums of cash/valuable goods during the course of (my/your) business. It's an often accepted "cause", but try to defend yourself after killing someone over PROPERTY. Remember this is sue-happy Kalifornia, after all! Anyhow, there is a gentleman in the San Diego area who helps people develop their individually tailored "cause" statements, but I don't have that info right now. I'll try to get it to you, or perhaps another member knows of him. I believe he does it for free. Good luck to you. -gloxter

Eyespy
05-17-2005, 12:22 AM
California CCW

Kimber Compact .45acp Stainless
Colt Magnum Carry .357 magnum snubnose revolver

PGBsuperior
05-17-2005, 5:48 AM
Originally posted by ady:
how many here have a carry concealed permit and what is your choice of weapon?

Have CA permit, carry SIG P229 .40

Amy

Turbinator
05-17-2005, 6:41 AM
Originally posted by gloxter:
Turbinator: As you can see from the map, it is generally easier to obtain a permit in "rural" areas. I live in one such area.

Thanks for the info, and the map is great (I'm in a red area, so unless I'm hooked up, I'm basically screwed over), but I generally disagree with one part of the map in which I have experience living - Yolo County. Not all areas of Yolo County allow easy to get carry permits. I researched how many permits were issued many years ago when I had access to that data, and there were exactly 2 permits issued for a town of 40,000 people. Great, huh? This was in Yolo County.

Turby

jnojr
05-17-2005, 9:49 AM
Originally posted by Basura Blanca:
The addition of a 2nd Amendment clause to our state constitution would, IMO, be of immense help in establishing irrefutable "good cause" for the application process.

True, but nobody is interested in seeing that happen.

http://rkba.members.sonic.net/

I'll check back with Dave to see if Don Kilmer is going to reintroduce the ballot measure next year. But we'd need a real grassroots movement to get it qualified, and with the general apathy of California gun owners, I just don't see that happening. Maybe a non-profit could be formed and solicit donations from gun manufacturers and the like... they would have a stake in seeing the CA AWB, drop-test law, etc. be repealed.

05-17-2005, 4:20 PM
Originally posted by jnojr:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Turbinator:

http://www.packing.org/gs/ca_counties.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Los Angeles should be red.

Cazach
05-18-2005, 9:18 AM
Originally posted by ady:
kern valley gun club.(lake isabella)

Nice club, overlooks the lake and near the airport.

I know people that belong to it and are almost ashamed at how low the annual dues are compared to the convience and value factor.

imported_QuarterBoreGunner
05-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Cali CCW - Glock 30 and S&W 637 on the permit.

imported_booknut
05-18-2005, 7:49 PM
More than one CCW
carry Glock 30, S&W 642, trying out a 1911.

06-27-2005, 8:32 PM
utah ccw permit, soon to add florida, but not cali yet. when I do carry, it'll be my ruger p89 until I get something smaller.

Boondocksaint
06-29-2005, 6:45 PM
I asked about a CCW permit in san Diego county and you can get one if you constantly have one million dollars on you.

taloft
06-29-2005, 7:05 PM
Hey Boondocksaint,

I live in San Diego as well, and I can tell you from the circles I grew up in that you pretty much have to be a member of the "good ol' boys" network. I've known several ccw holders. The common theme with all of them is money. They all have it, If you're rich, a member of the rotory club, attending charity functions with the chargers, your fishing partner in next week's S.D. bass pro tournament is the chief of police. etc. ad nausea. Then your odds of obtaining a CCW go up dramatically. Like most things in life it's all about cash and connections.

I admit that this was years ago. I don't know if it is that way still. I would hazard to guess that it still is based on what you're saying.

I'm sure that's not true for all of them but, I sure would be interested in seeing the median income for those who have a CCW Permit in San Diego.

Boondocksaint
06-29-2005, 7:33 PM
Personally, I don't have a real reason to carry. I am not often in bad neighborhoods and don't carry much cash (I'm married)

A couple years ago, however was a different story. I drove around the county for a rehab company to VERY bad neighborhoods. I would literaly walk into a crack house or a gang house and sweat it until I left.

Luckilly, nothing bad happened, but I still would've liked my trusty .45 on my hip.

imported_leelaw
06-30-2005, 8:57 AM
No CCW because of location (Contra Costa, see: impossible without lots of contributions to the Sheriff's re-election campgain) but will get one when I go the LEO route.

I plan on carrying a Sig P245, unless I buy other goodies.

imported_leelaw
06-30-2005, 8:59 AM
Originally posted by Boondocksaint:
I asked about a CCW permit in san Diego county and you can get one if you constantly have one million dollars on you.

What about a $1,000,000 life insurance policy, makes you worth $1,000,000 wheverer you go. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Boondocksaint
06-30-2005, 9:22 AM
Nah, it has to be cash. And, you have to have it in a conspicuous briefcase with the words "this case contains HUGE amounts of unmarked bills" written on it.

I try to be a good amaritan and help people in need. Although it's becomming more and more dangerous to do so. I think I would be more inclined to continue serving humanity if I could properly defend myself from it.

jnojr
06-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by taloft:

I live in San Diego as well, and I can tell you from the circles I grew up in that you pretty much have to be a member of the "good ol' boys" network. I've known several ccw holders. The common theme with all of them is money. They all have it, If you're rich, a member of the rotory club, attending charity functions with the chargers, your fishing partner in next week's S.D. bass pro tournament is the chief of police. etc. ad nausea. Then your odds of obtaining a CCW go up dramatically. Like most things in life it's all about cash and connections.

Almost certainly still true. The big thing with San Diego is the Sheriff has decided that "good cause" means a "business" reason. If you carry large amounts of cash or valuable items, you might be able to get a CCW... but it'll likely be restricted to business hours, or only usable when actually doing business stuff.

I asked the person who manages the CCW program if "good cause" could include carrying firearms to and from remote areas of the county. The response was pretty much "If you're a dealer, maybe. If you're just a shooter, then no".

There is another factor that likely wouldn't do anybody any good... if you know about this factor, it might help, but if you don't, my telling you won't help either http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I was going to go ahead and give it a shot, but the process would cost about $500 and since I'm in the hiring process with the Sheriffs Department, I said screw it.