PDA

View Full Version : Replica rifle has Brooklyn man at odds with cops

ukdkbr
07-30-2009, 10:41 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2009/07/29/2009-07-29_replica_rifle_has_brooklyn_man_at_odds_with_cop s.html

ke6guj
07-30-2009, 10:43 PM
more conversation at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=207642&highlight=brooklyn

gunsmith
07-30-2009, 10:55 PM
so it's legal as long as he can't load it?
weird

aileron
07-31-2009, 6:20 AM
Sweet rifle...

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/07/29/alg_gun.jpg

I finally got a chance to shoot a black powder rifle. Real kick in the pants. I love the low boom sound, not that nasty pang that a modern cartridge creates (of course I like that sound too. :p.) They're sweet to shoot.

I hope this guy wins. Its ridiculous he has to even worry about such things.

.22guy
07-31-2009, 12:25 PM
That is messed up. The law, as it is written, says his rifle isn't even illegal. Why are they bothering him?

dwtt
07-31-2009, 1:04 PM
That is messed up. The law, as it is written, says his rifle isn't even illegal. Why are they bothering him?

They are bothering this guy because guns are evil and people who own them are bad people, according to Bloomberg and his friends in the Brady bunch. It's completely irrelevant in their minds that this gun is legal by New York's laws.

7x57
07-31-2009, 1:54 PM
NY needs a CGF to raise money for his defense. If the case is as stated, he's clearly in the right.

Yellowfin?

7x57

KWA-S
08-01-2009, 10:54 AM
NY needs a CGF to raise money for his defense. If the case is as stated, he's clearly in the right.

Yellowfin?

7x57

Thats not gonna be the case. The know its a losing one, and they've pretty much admitted it. But as we all know, cops can still make his life pretty miserable without actually arresting him. :TFH:

VW*Mike
08-01-2009, 1:49 PM
Anyone seen "Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels"? What is a criminal going to do if they get their hands on his flint lock rifle, know how to load it and use it then go rob someone? It would be more effective used as a club at close range! I wish him luck, I love NYC, but could never live there.

7x57
08-01-2009, 5:14 PM
Thats not gonna be the case. The know its a losing one, and they've pretty much admitted it. But as we all know, cops can still make his life pretty miserable without actually arresting him. :TFH:

And a good lawyer helps there too, and they don't come cheap.

7x57

yellowfin
08-01-2009, 6:22 PM
I've run into some obstacles in NY. Apparently pro gun lawyers and knowledge are like nuclear missiles up here, kept in secret and limited access. The people in the know won't tell me or anyone not in their long established inner circle 1/10th of what we get from Gene, Paul, TBJ, etc. They're nice people face to face but they sure don't seem to want stray outside of join, donate, vote, and sit in your corner and watch. They seem to answer too many questions with "It's complicated" or even less useful answers.

I can tell you for certain that the NYS government has corruption down to a science. CGF exploits the fact that CA's government isn't just evil, but stupid. NY's got maybe twice the evil, they're a lot better at pulling it off, and they've got a 60 year head start on the bad laws and a lockstep judiciary.

I've personally gotta work on something of my own getting a pistol license there because where I live you've gotta have references that live there in that county and have known you for 5 years- impossible because I just moved there less than 2 months ago and spent my whole life living no less than 1000 miles away from there.

Linh
08-01-2009, 6:57 PM
The King should have had a gun ban back in the day then we would all be speakin the queen's english.

7x57
08-01-2009, 7:04 PM
I've run into some obstacles in NY. Apparently pro gun lawyers and knowledge are like nuclear missiles up here, kept in secret and limited access. The people in the know won't tell me or anyone not in their long established inner circle 1/10th of what we get from Gene, Paul, TBJ, etc. They're nice people face to face but they sure don't seem to want stray outside of join, donate, vote, and sit in your corner and watch. They seem to answer too many questions with "It's complicated" or even less useful answers.

Mmm. Smells like something that probably has a name but I'll just call "captive opposition." How do you make it look like you have market or political competition without suffering the loss of monopoly power? Simple--you cultivate "competition," or "opposition" which appears functional but can never threaten your real power.

On the other hand--how do you personally benefit from opposing a powerful monopoly or entrenched oligarchy? Simple--you accept such a deal. Being a real dissident is physically dangerous, and being a real competitor is economically dangerous. If you follow the game-theory minimax strategy, you best minimize losses by accepting the role of figurehead opposition.

I believe this happens constantly in American politics--I could probably get in trouble by pointing out that it has something to do with how race politics has played out. In any event, I would worry that in NY perhaps the gun-rights people have become a captive opposition. This would be great for them--they get to be big ducks, albeit in a smaller puddle. It's also great for the monopoly--for one thing, it diverts the attention of the kind of principled ideologues that can't be bought and could make trouble. As long as they are part of the captive structure, their efforts do no real damage. And NY has been anti-gun for longer than almost anywhere else in America, so they've had more time to evolve to such a mature state.

Do I know that's the situation? Absolutely not. But it's worth looking for in case it's true.

I can tell you for certain that the NYS government has corruption down to a science. CGF exploits the fact that CA's government isn't just evil, but stupid. NY's got maybe twice the evil, they're a lot better at pulling it off, and they've got a 60 year head start on the bad laws and a lockstep judiciary.

Not surprising. I've always worried that the CA model wouldn't export because it depends so heavily on absolute incompetence and criminal stupidity.

7x57

Suvorov
08-01-2009, 7:40 PM
What bothers me the most about this article is how the guy was found out. A mindless drone at Staples found a receipt and notified the police.

We really are moving closer towards Stalinist Russia every day.

turbosbox
08-01-2009, 11:09 PM
What bothers me the most about this article is how the guy was found out. A mindless drone at Staples found a receipt and notified the police.

"show me your papers! your papers, they are not in order..."

7x57
08-01-2009, 11:25 PM

Here's someone with some experience with real Stalinists:

“…At what exact point then, should one resist the communists?”
“How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family...?”
“Or, if during periods of mass arrests people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood the y had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. ….The police…. would have quickly suffered a shortage of officers …and notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt."

He has *plenty* to say about informers, but I don't have those quotes at my fingertips. That one comes to mind quite often though.

7x57

leadchucker
08-02-2009, 12:28 AM
This must come to a head someday.
The days of "Law Enforcement" organizations making false arrests and bringing losing cases before the courts just for the sake of harassing law abiding citizens and forcing them to pay thousands in lawyers fees to prove their innocense, while claiming immunity from liability for the defendant's expenses MUST STOP. If this is not abuse of power, then I don't know what is. These jackbooted terrorists must be made to pay somehow, or justice will never prevail for the free man.

Cato
08-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Are they giving the guy trouble because his gun isn't antique, but a replica?

yellowfin
08-02-2009, 9:13 AM
They're giving the guy trouble because they are Stalin-esque tyrants.