PDA

View Full Version : A Little History...

jmnardo
07-30-2009, 9:36 PM
In the last few years I finally had the time and at least some of the money to get back involved in firearms after almost a 30 year break. I found a lot had changed in that time. From assault weapon bans to high cap mag bans to DROS to NICS to safe hadgun list; it makes your head spin. Makes me sorry I was not more involved.

Anyway, I was wondering when the requirement for a background check started for long guns? Also wondering when it became illegal for private parties in CA to sell modern long guns to each other.

Does anyone remember the history of these changes?

Thanks

Mike

Seesm
07-30-2009, 9:39 PM
Welcome home after 30 yrs.

I do not have the definative dates I think the PPT on long guns was in 93?

I forget but yeah since I was a kid lots have changed federal and state wise. Cali can be tough...

Thankfully we all have Calguns.

UziDoesIt
07-30-2009, 10:20 PM
It was the Brady Bill enacted in 94 that put those restrictions into play. Of course leave it to California to expand the so called "reasonable" gun control legislation to an ocean of red ink.

Don't know how much history you are interested in, so I will just leave it at that.

Librarian
07-30-2009, 10:27 PM
In the last few years I finally had the time and at least some of the money to get back involved in firearms after almost a 30 year break. I found a lot had changed in that time. From assault weapon bans to high cap mag bans to DROS to NICS to safe hadgun list; it makes your head spin. Makes me sorry I was not more involved.

Anyway, I was wondering when the requirement for a background check started for long guns? Also wondering when it became illegal for private parties in CA to sell modern long guns to each other.

Thanks

Mike

1991 was the date when substantially all sales had to go through CA FFLs. See also http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California and http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Firearms_registration

bodger
07-31-2009, 6:36 AM

Thanks

Mike

My hiatus from active shooting was not quite as long as yours, but pretty close. Up until some recent acquisitions in the past year, I purchased most of my guns in the 1980's. Back in the days when PPT was no more complicated than handing someone a firearm and taking their money. And buying a weapon in a gun shop was pretty uncomplicated as well.

When I started to get involved again, and went to purchase a new handgun, I didn't even know about the HSC requirement. Further delving into current gun laws in this state revealed information that was like a slap in the face with a cold rag. I'm just glad I didn't have anything that would have qualified as an assault weapon.

Joining CalGuns and learning more about the gun laws in CA has been an abject lesson in just how absurdly lawmakers will act when the toxic combination of a hot political subject, and a general misunderstanding and fear of an entity such as guns, collide.

jmnardo
08-01-2009, 9:38 AM
Thanks, very helpful.