View Full Version : Sig P238 Recall Notification

07-30-2009, 8:19 PM

I'm on my phone right now so someone else please cut n paste from the above URL. Looks like you could fire off a round by disengaging the safety on defective models, muy malo.

07-31-2009, 6:14 AM

Dear SIG SAUER Customer:

SIG SAUER, Inc. has initiated a Mandatory Safety Upgrade pertaining to our new Model P238 pistols. We have determined that a small number of P238 pistols may have safety levers that are not manufactured to factory specifications. Under certain conditions, it may be possible for the lever not to be completely engaged in the safe position. In this condition, the gun will not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, when the safety lever is moved to the off position, the hammer may fall, with the remote possibility that the gun could fire unintentionally, thus creating a risk of injury or death.

There have been no reports of any injuries or mishaps; however, in accordance with SIG SAUER, Inc.s commitment to provide customers with the highest quality products and services, we are issuing a P238 Mandatory Safety Upgrade, to return the identified product to factory specifications. Upon receipt of the firearm, SIG SAUER will, at no cost to the owner, eliminate the risk identified above by replacing the subject part and performing functional upgrades that have been incorporated into the P238, subsequent to its introduction. SIG SAUER will return the firearm, pre-paid, to the owner as quickly as possible.

If you have a SIG SAUER P238 with a serial number between DA000501 and DA003216, please cease use of the firearm immediately. Not all P238s within the identified serial number range are affected; therefore, it is imperative that you contact us via the UPGRADE HOT LINE at 1 (866) 446-1914. An operator will take your information and confirm if your firearm is required to be returned for Upgrading. If necessary, you will receive a certified package from SIG SAUER that will contain a UPS shipping return label, a Return Merchandise Authorization Number, and a box to return the firearm. Simply affix the provided UPS shipping label to the supplied box (completely covering the existing shipping label) and bring the box to a designated UPS drop-off location. Please be certain to include the magazine along with the original SIG SAUER blue gun box. If you have questions or would like further information, you may contact SIG SAUER CUSTOMER SERVICE at 603-772-2302 (Choose Option # 3).

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your immediate cooperation in the return of your P238 handgun.

Too bad...that little sig 380 was kindof neat.

07-31-2009, 6:28 AM

It's just a recall for repair. It won't go away.

07-31-2009, 9:22 AM

They're not cancelling it, just performing a recall repair.

08-01-2009, 7:31 PM
and I believe you can not get it here in Cal.
But I so want one!!

08-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Not on the list, too bad. It's the colt Mustang reborn!!

08-11-2009, 12:42 PM
maybe that is why mine hasnt come in yet :/ oh well..i can wait a bit longer.

08-20-2009, 3:30 AM
You cant get it in CA ? I am not up on all the laws for you guys. But if you cant that sucks !

Here is a picture of my little P238 !

They are cool little guns. Mine came with contrast luminescent sights on it. Which I like alot. They are great accurate guns and the recoil is way less then the LCP which is only a tad larger ( the P238 is larger then the LCP ).

I ve heard some of the turn arounds on shipping back the P238 have been long, but some people are getting extra mags, wood grips and things like that as compensation.

08-22-2009, 7:22 PM
I have an ongoing love affair with pocket pistols but with the excellent pistols already available I don't see the point to this one. With a pocket pistol or the weapon on my nightstand I don't want to have to think about a safety lever. Not to mention that having a holster that properly covers the safety lever is going to make it even thicker. The sights look pretty snaggable also.

11-22-2009, 9:42 AM
great factory QC!!!

11-22-2009, 2:08 PM
damn, i really want one!

Check Six
02-06-2010, 5:53 PM
You cant get it in CA ? I am not up on all the laws for you guys. But if you cant that sucks !

They are cool little guns. Mine came with contrast luminescent sights on it. Which I like alot. They are great accurate guns and the recoil is way less then the LCP which is only a tad larger ( the P238 is larger then the LCP ).

I agree that SIGs are nice pistols, but it doesn't meet the requirements I would want in a small pocket pistol. I've got an LCP and don't find the recoil all that much an issue. I've owned a .32 Seecamp, and used to pack a PPK. When I acquired the LCP, I gave up the PPK. I can pocket holster the LCP 24/7 without any problem. I can't imagine packing that SIG with the exposed hammer and its size. If I was going to pack something SIG size, it'd be a compact 9mm .

02-11-2010, 11:58 PM
I have zero issue with backup carrying a single action pocket pistol (own a 20 yr old COLT PocketLite upgraded from a Beretta Jetfire).

I saw this Sig offering and thought, "Nice, I can give the old Mustang a break."

Didn't wanna start a whole new post, but just got mine home from it's first range outing. Took it and my other SA .380s. It ran great... one of its mags was weird in that loaded up fully (6 rounds) you could not get the slide to function with it inserted first. Relegated that one to 5 round capacity for the rest of the outing and everything went great.
Now that they're about to make the Roster, hopefully anyone that wants one can get their paws on a P238. Incidentally my serial number is DA0037XX. I checked this thread before I bought.

03-13-2010, 1:26 PM
P238 is absolutely awesome, after owning one for a few months now I can say it blows the LCP away in my opinion, and I have carried both. The P238 size is not much greater + only a few ounces more. The condition one carry is not an issue it has a very solid safety and the trigger is not too light, it's crisp but has a little weight to make you feel more comfortable so even though it's single action it's no 1911 trigger. Not to mention it's extremely accurate for such a small gun, I don't think anyone can honestly talk bad about this gun going from shooting a kel tec p380 or LCP to the P238, I would never turn back but then again everyone has their own opinion, I have used all 3 guns & we got a lot of opinions on here from people that have never even tried the comparable firearms for what it's worth.