PDA

View Full Version : What do you guy's know about this gun????

Trendkill
07-30-2009, 8:58 PM
My friend is giving me this gun for free....it was her Dad's...and she believes he would have wanted me to have it. I agree.

What can you guys tell me about it....I know guns real well *sorta*...but I was never a 1911 type koolaide drinker. Ive shot plenty of them....but have yet to own one.

One thing I was wondering is if that rear sight and front post is standard to the MK IV Government Model Series 80....or did he have it added on??

Also....does it have a guide rod...or a plug??

Are they very upgradeable???

Is it possible to bring it to Series 70 type specs?? Should I...??

Can it eat +p type ammo..??

Any and all info would be great....thanks.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e181/necritan/IMG_1391_2.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e181/necritan/IMG_1392_2.jpg

technique
07-30-2009, 9:02 PM
More pics man!

Both sides.....you got a nice piece there, thats for sure. I'm envious.

Trendkill
07-30-2009, 9:08 PM
More pics man!

Both sides.....you got a nice piece there, thats for sure. I'm envious.

I insisted on paying her for it...but she refused...she said her dad..(my friend) would have wanted me to have it...so she is giving it to me for free.

These are the only pics I have right now.....It is in her possesion...but we are meeting Sunday for the PPT.

Axewound
07-30-2009, 9:14 PM
wow

GM4spd
07-30-2009, 9:14 PM
That is a Series 70 Colt from about 1974/75---it was a standard GOVT
Model that has been highly modified by the changed Front sight--the rear
sight has been changed and the rear of the slide has been milled out to
facilitate the low cut adjustable rear,the trigger has also been modified.
That's all I can tell from the pics. Would be worth a pretty good sum IF
it had not been modified. That said, it is in pretty good shape and it is a COLT. Pete

technique
07-30-2009, 9:15 PM
If you do intend to upgrade...keep all OEM parts and don't permanently mod the gun its self. It has value...Retail is like $1000+ on a decent 70 series.

I paid nearly $1600 for one...but it came with the old cardboard type box and all factory stuff. And even the box it shipped from Colt to original owner.

Thats a piece of history you have...

PolishMike
07-30-2009, 9:17 PM
Without the idiot mark and the mods it would be worth a good amount. Northing super rare, but a nice gun.

It is still a great shooter though. I would shoot the **** out of it, and for the price, not feel bad at all.

gregorylucas
07-30-2009, 9:18 PM
What can you guys tell me about it....I know guns real well *sorta*...but I was never a 1911 type koolaide drinker. Ive shot plenty of them....but have yet to own one.

I can tell you that is a nice looking 1911.:)

Greg

Fjold
07-30-2009, 9:20 PM
There are a million 70's series Colts out there so collector's worth shouldn't be an issue.

RTE
07-30-2009, 9:20 PM
What can you guys tell me about it....
Looks to be a Colt Mark IV Series 70 blue Government model....In nice shape.
One thing I was wondering is if that rear sight and front post is standard to the MK IV Government Model Series 80....or did he have it added on??
Rear sight looks to be an adjustable target sight (maybe an upgrade)
Also....does it have a guide rod...or a plug??
It will have a guide rod......Probably not a full length guide rod and honestly for non competition the short guide rod is fine.
Are they very upgradeable???
$$$$$$$ everything is upgradeable.
Is it possible to bring it to Series 70 type specs?? Should I...??
Looks to be a 70 series and they are a nice 1911 as is.
Can it eat +p type ammo..?? It should.

Trendkill
07-30-2009, 9:30 PM
I thought it was a series 80....the box said so...or maybe it was the wrong box. Its hard to tell in the picture if thats a "7" or an "8". Guess Ill find out Sunday.

Trendkill
07-30-2009, 9:36 PM
Oh sh**.....you guys are right....it is a series 70. Maybe she should sell it....whats it worth do you think???

bsim
07-30-2009, 9:36 PM
It's a series 70. Now find the series 80 that belongs to the box!

REALLY nice shooter there...

badhabit90
07-30-2009, 9:52 PM
go here to find ALL info about this gun. the rear site looks like a adjustable Eiason sight. i have that same sight on my colt gold cup. you would be doing a dishonor to her dad and to this pistol just to "sell it".

http://www.coltsmfg.com/archive.aspx

Trendkill
07-30-2009, 9:55 PM
go here to find ALL info about this gun. the rear site looks like a adjustable Eiason sight. i have that same sight on my colt gold cup. you would be doing a dishonor to her dad and to this pistol just to "sell it".

http://www.coltsmfg.com/archive.aspx

I would never sell it.....never.

But...if she knows the true value...and she decides to sell it....it is her decision. I want to be very forthright and honest with her about what she has. It is her decision.

Trendkill
07-30-2009, 10:00 PM
I had thought it was a series 80 1991.....and with that I told her it was worth 5 to 6 hundred according to the blue book of guns. If it is still worth around that much due to the milling of the slide and so forth...I wont bother her with the details and accept it quite thankfully....but if it has more value...I feel I owe her complete honesty. The decision is still hers.

Trendkill
07-30-2009, 10:01 PM
P.S. - I would be the buyer anyways....;)

wilshire1412
07-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Yep, series 70 Government in a later box. Rear sight looks like a Bomar or a copy of one, has a trigger shoe on the trigger. I would likely shoot it as is and not try and "upgrade" anything unless it has problems functioning. Go shoot it first and see how you like it, most of the things people do to try and make them better just destroy any potential value in the end. The sights alone take several hundred off any resale value, but they are good sights if they are installed well.

Trendkill
07-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Yep, series 70 Government in a later box. Rear sight looks like a Bomar or a copy of one, has a trigger shoe on the trigger. I would likely shoot it as is and not try and "upgrade" anything unless it has problems functioning. Go shoot it first and see how you like it, most of the things people do to try and make them better just destroy any potential value in the end. The sights alone take several hundred off any resale value, but they are good sights if they are installed well.

I'm sure whatever work he had done was done well...

He competitively shot IPSC for a while....he loved his guns.

ghost
07-30-2009, 10:32 PM
nothing beats a free gun,especially a 70`s series colt.shooting this might change your mind about 1911`s.

Trendkill
07-30-2009, 10:37 PM
nothing beats a free gun,especially a 70`s series colt.shooting this might change your mind about 1911`s.

For sure....I'll probably get the disease like everyone else.

BigRich
07-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Since that looks very much like a Bomar sight on that slide it would be possible that other tuning work has been done to the pistol. A common set of mods would have been sights trigger work and tightening of the slide/frame fit (lots of Colts were sloppy loose) and barrel refitting. Whn you have it home, take it down (carefully) and examine the gun. You might just have a pistol that shoots like a house a'fire. If the guy was a competitive shooter then he probably had the gun "built" for the sport.

What a great way to remember your friend. You could even have a chat with him about his good taste while you launched punkin' balls through a bullseye.

Trendkill
07-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Since that looks very much like a Bomar sight on that slide it would be possible that other tuning work has been done to the pistol. A common set of mods would have been sights trigger work and tightening of the slide/frame fit (lots of Colts were sloppy loose) and barrel refitting. Whn you have it home, take it down (carefully) and examine the gun. You might just have a pistol that shoots like a house a'fire. If the guy was a competitive shooter then he probably had the gun "built" for the sport.

What a great way to remember your friend. You could even have a chat with him about his good taste while you launched punkin' balls through a bullseye.

Yes he did like to "tune" his guns......he was a great guy ....R.I.P.

Pryde
07-30-2009, 11:34 PM
The front sight is a King's Hardball sight.

Trendkill
07-31-2009, 12:16 AM
The front sight is a King's Hardball sight.

Wow....thats amazing. Is that good..??

RECCE556
07-31-2009, 12:32 AM
It's a "Billboard" Mk.IV/Series 70. Too bad, it's been modified...it's not "super rare" but it would have been worth more if it was bone stock unless the work was done by someone like Swenson in which case, it'd be worth a LOT more than a perfect condition unmodified one....and no, I don't think Swenson worked on that one.

I just basically looks like a product of 80's/90's mods. That's when Bomars and trigger shoes were the "shiznit". It also has a undercut on the trigger guard so that gun has most likely been fully refinished.

If it were me, I would keep it (for sentimental value) but I would send it off and have it "BBQ'd" by someone like Chuck Rogers, John Harrison, Ted Yost, etc....too bad about the rear sight slide cut though but that's my personal preference as I hate adjustable sights on my 1911's. Here's what I'd do to it...

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa284/recce556/dsc00547.jpg

sholling
07-31-2009, 12:37 AM
For sure....I'll probably get the disease like everyone else.
Just what you needed another gun addition. :p

FWIW I ordered my 4th 1911 yesterday. It's as bad as black rifle disease minus the need to change everything.

JTROKS
07-31-2009, 12:44 AM
If I ever receive a gun as a gift I would treasure it and keep it forever until the day comes that I have to pass it on to one of my kids.

johnthomas
07-31-2009, 1:08 AM
Oh sh**.....you guys are right....it is a series 70. Maybe she should sell it....whats it worth do you think???

No, don't have her sell it. The Dad was your friend, she said she know's he would want you to have it. Keep it, shoot it and enjoy it, just as he enjoyed it. You have something your friend was fond of, a great way to always remember him. You can always buy her a laptop or gift card to her favorite store.
I own a series 70 Colt Commander my friend had for many years. When I shoot it, I always remember him.

Trendkill
07-31-2009, 1:24 AM
No, don't have her sell it. The Dad was your friend, she said she know's he would want you to have it. Keep it, shoot it and enjoy it, just as he enjoyed it. You have something your friend was fond of, a great way to always remember him. You can always buy her a laptop or gift card to her favorite store.
I own a series 70 Colt Commander my friend had for many years. When I shoot it, I always remember him.

I just keep thinkin I should give her some money....but....she probably wont care too much. I will cherish it...and will never get rid of it.

Trendkill
07-31-2009, 1:25 AM
Just what you needed another gun addition. :p

FWIW I ordered my 4th 1911 yesterday. It's as bad as black rifle disease minus the need to change everything.

I know....here I go again.

Riodog
07-31-2009, 1:25 AM
This thread is worthless without pics.....OF HER.....
Rio:)

Trendkill
07-31-2009, 1:26 AM
It's a "Billboard" Mk.IV/Series 70. Too bad, it's been modified...it's not "super rare" but it would have been worth more if it was bone stock unless the work was done by someone like Swenson in which case, it'd be worth a LOT more than a perfect condition unmodified one....and no, I don't think Swenson worked on that one.

I just basically looks like a product of 80's/90's mods. That's when Bomars and trigger shoes were the "shiznit". It also has a undercut on the trigger guard so that gun has most likely been fully refinished.

If it were me, I would keep it (for sentimental value) but I would send it off and have it "BBQ'd" by someone like Chuck Rogers, John Harrison, Ted Yost, etc....too bad about the rear sight slide cut though but that's my personal preference as I hate adjustable sights on my 1911's. Here's what I'd do to it...

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa284/recce556/dsc00547.jpg

How much does work like that cost...????

Looks beautiful by the way.

RECCE556
07-31-2009, 1:31 AM
Wait 'til you get into the double digits with your 1911's....no, it doesn't get any better, cheaper or easier! :)

I don't even want to get started on BRD...I've DROSed over 10 receivers at one time...too bad I wasn't this into school...maybe I'd have a Novitec Rosso Tu Nero Ferrari F430 (http://www.zcars.com.au/images/novitec-rosso-ferrari-f430-tu-nero12.jpg) by now...

How much does work like that cost...????
Looks beautiful by the way.
Oh, you're probably looking at around $2-2.5K of work and parts depending on exactly what you do. There are some things that you can't see (like frame to slight tightening) that could really affect the price.

There's five things I would change on that gun though cuz I'm a picky bastard...1) 10-8 Flat Trigger, 2) 10-8 Mag Release, 3) STI Grip Safety (which are notched for your knuckle), 4) Chuck Roger's Tier 1 Sights and 5) Carry beveling package.

Trendkill
07-31-2009, 1:47 AM
Wait 'til you get into the double digits with your 1911's....no, it doesn't get any better, cheaper or easier! :)

I don't even want to get started on BRD...I've DROSed over 10 receivers at one time...too bad I wasn't this into school...maybe I'd have a Novitec Rosso Tu Nero Ferrari F430 (http://www.zcars.com.au/images/novitec-rosso-ferrari-f430-tu-nero12.jpg) by now...

Oh, you're probably looking at around $2-2.5K of work and parts depending on exactly what you do. There are some things that you can't see (like frame to slight tightening) that could really affect the price.

There's five things I would change on that gun though cuz I'm a picky bastard...1) 10-8 Flat Trigger, 2) 10-8 Mag Release, 3) STI Grip Safety (which are notched for your knuckle), 4) Chuck Roger's Tier 1 Sights and 5) Carry beveling package.

How would I address the area that was cut out for the rear sight..???

The Ted Yost guy charges a whole bunch....makes 2-2.5K sound nice.

Futurecollector
07-31-2009, 3:17 AM
Take her out to diner either way!!!!

sholling
07-31-2009, 7:48 AM
I'd keep it as is for now. Shoot it and see what you think of the trigger and reliability. Then after 6-12 months correct anything that bugs you. I suspect that you wont find anything that needs correction if he's had it worked on.

SCMA-1
07-31-2009, 8:02 AM
It's a very nice shooter; I would leave it the way it is, maybe change the grip safety to a Brown beavertail. Leave the Bomars as they are the preferred adjustable sight. Shoot it and enjoy it!

SCMA-1

Mute
07-31-2009, 8:40 AM
It's a Series 70 so it will be worth a bit more in California. Looks like the at the very least the rear sights were changed to a set of Bomars or some kind of clone. Given the condition, it should fetch a decent price. If it were mine, I probably wouldn't sell it for less than $1200-1400 depending on how clean the gun is.

Trendkill
07-31-2009, 9:23 AM
Thanks for the info guys....

I have yet to clean one of these...but Im sure it needs one of those bushing wrench thingy's.....where could I find one of those...and what are they called exactly.

1911 Noob

Trendkill
07-31-2009, 9:25 AM
It's a Series 70 so it will be worth a bit more in California. Looks like the at the very least the rear sights were changed to a set of Bomars or some kind of clone. Given the condition, it should fetch a decent price. If it were mine, I probably wouldn't sell it for less than $1200-1400 depending on how clean the gun is.

Not gonna sell it.....she may want a little cash out of it from me if it is worth a bunch....but I doubt it.

gregorylucas
07-31-2009, 9:51 AM

I have yet to clean one of these...but Im sure it needs one of those bushing wrench thingy's.....where could I find one of those...and what are they called exactly.

1911 Noob

Its called a barrel bushing wrench you can get it here

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=874541.

I would suggest using a plastic one however so you don't mar the finish.

Greg

sholling
07-31-2009, 9:53 AM

I can't speak to that pistol specifically but most of the time you won't need a barrel bushing wrench. Only with the really tight ones. Brownell's carries at least 5 models ranging from $6-30. Or you can get really fancy and pick up a pocket tool kit but they really aren't necessary. The big thing is keep it clean and well lubed. 1911s love to run wet. I clean the frame, slide and barrel, and then oil lightly all exposed metal with Break Free and dry with a rag. Next the inside of the barrel bushing, the outside of the barrel, and the rails get a dab of Slide-Glide Lite, and the guts get a drop of Break-Free and then get blown out with compressed air. About like you'd treat your M&Ps. There are plenty of field strip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHhWfbs615s) and detail stripping videos on youtube. You'll rarely need to get past field stripping and lubing. Keep her wet and feed her from quality magazines and she'll be happy. Animation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRMcTlbWTs&feature=related)

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_080045200_1.jpghttp://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_168000075_1.jpg

BigRich
07-31-2009, 3:09 PM
The trigger guard and front strap are uncut so it is possibly all original finish. If it were coming to me, I would give it a detail clean and lube then shoot the snot out of it. If any deficiencies crop up then address them. I have fat hands and would probably get some hammer bite or grip safety abrasion from that stock looking set up. Some Colt grip safeties were worked on and finished by some one who gave a hoot and are properly beveled. If this is the case it won't cut you. If not then they can be quite sharp on the edges and cause bleeding within 50 rounds. Shoot it and see what you have in your hands. It is very likely that the barrel has been re-fitted. If that is true then I imagine it was also throated and had the feed ramp polished. It would be consistent that the trigger was cleaned up and breaks nicely. Your new pistol will most likely be a real joy to shoot AND have some sentimental value. Take your friend out to a NICE dinner and thank her for the wonderful gift.

redcliff
07-31-2009, 4:32 PM
Very nice pistol. Don't feel bad about the Bomar's and modified sights; many 1911 shooters like adjustable sights and it cost several hundred dollars to have a set of Bomar's installed back in the day. The switch to high visibility fixed sights on pistols was a cost saving measure in many cases and prevents zeroing at specific ranges with specific loads.

Use it as a range gun and home defense gun if desired... the only time adjustable sights are a problem is due to their potential to snag when drawing from concealed carry.

On a carry gun I like tritium fixed sights..for target shooting I prefer black on black adjustable sights like your Bomars.

Trendkill
07-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys...I cant wait to shoot this thing. I get to go pick it up Tuesday the 11th...since we went ahead with the transfer today. I really do owe her some dinner......

I was checking it out while we did the transfer...and the finish has got to be original , it is in great condition though.....and the rear sight looked to be installed very very well. The trigger has very little "take up"....and Im guessing it breaks somewhere in the 4-1/2 lb area. Also....the barrel isn't stock either...it is a Barsto barrel. The barrel looks real clean too. The trigger is just f@#$ing sweet.

It had one magazine with it...should I try to only run Wilson Mags in this??....all the 1911 Koolaide guys swear by them.

sholling
08-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Back in the day Bar-Sto was the hot setup for match barrels. It sounds like it's setup very nicely.

Trendkill
08-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Back in the day Bar-Sto was the hot setup for match barrels. It sounds like it's setup very nicely.

Yeah....thats what I hear. There website(Bar-sto) and Midway sells the damn barrels for 199 bucks.....wow. They must still be pretty good.

Trendkill
08-01-2009, 8:53 AM
Anyone know how difficult it is to put in an extended beavertail safety by yourself..??

Mute
08-01-2009, 9:39 AM
Anyone know how difficult it is to put in an extended beavertail safety by yourself..??

There are "drop-in" safeties that will for the most part go on without too much work, but those aren't gonna look really clean and properly mated to the frame. That's not to say it will look ugly, but just so you have an idea of what to expect. Be aware, though, that "drop-in" doesn't always, and may still need some filing here and there to fit and work properly.

johnthomas
08-01-2009, 1:28 PM
If you decide to go with non-drop in and take it to a smith, your frame will be altered forever. Not a bad thing if your going to keep the gun but may effect the re-sale price down the road. I may put one on my 1911 combat commander but have not decided yet. I haven't had an issue with hammer bite but some people that shoot it does.

tankerman
08-01-2009, 9:48 PM
Bushing wrench;
http://wwwstu.tcu.edu/sstewart/thumbs_up.jpg

Trendkill
08-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Bushing wrench;
http://wwwstu.tcu.edu/sstewart/thumbs_up.jpg

So....a little elbow grease eh??? Errrr...I mean knuckle grease..??

johnthomas
08-01-2009, 10:42 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=212051
I don't use one of those, but here it is

Trendkill
08-02-2009, 1:46 PM
This thread is worthless without pics.....OF HER.....
Rio:)
She is a very pretty girl.but...she'd prolly put a round of 357 Golden Sabre in my head for postin a pic of her.....so.....nah.