PDA

View Full Version : California gun laws

sdaviddiaz
03-17-2005, 10:47 PM
According to the approved for sale gun list in California, I can buy a HK USP .45 but i cannot get the Tactical version becouse it has a threaded barrel. Now that same Tactical has all the goodies that I want(adjustable sights, adjustable trigger stop and o-ring on the barrel). I don't need a threaded barrel. Does anybody know if I can just buy a replacement non-threaded barrel and get a dealer to get me this gun?

sdaviddiaz
03-17-2005, 10:47 PM
According to the approved for sale gun list in California, I can buy a HK USP .45 but i cannot get the Tactical version becouse it has a threaded barrel. Now that same Tactical has all the goodies that I want(adjustable sights, adjustable trigger stop and o-ring on the barrel). I don't need a threaded barrel. Does anybody know if I can just buy a replacement non-threaded barrel and get a dealer to get me this gun?

esskay
03-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Sorry, the only way to purchase a modern handgun which is not on the approved list is via face to face PPT.

gobabygo
03-17-2005, 11:26 PM
Have you looked at the HK Expert? It's got all the goodies you're looking for and it's on the approved list.

Librarian
03-18-2005, 1:43 PM
Since I like to 'window shop' ...
Tactical (http://www.hk-usa.com/index.jsp?loc=101&SITEID=A&PartNumber=704504)
Expert (http://www.hk-usa.com/index.jsp?loc=101&SITEID=A&PartNumber=704580)

bwiese
03-18-2005, 2:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">sdaviddiaz wrote:
According to the approved for sale gun list in California, I can buy a HK USP 45 but i cannot get the Tactical version becouse it has a threaded barrel.

....that same Tactical has all the goodies that I want (adjustable sights, adjustable trigger stop and o-ring on the barrel). I don't need a threaded barrel. Does anybody know if I can just buy a replacement non-threaded barrel and get a dealer to get me this gun? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You cannot get the HK USP Tactical even with a a plain barrel because that make/model is not specifically on the approved list.

And the threaded bbl makes it an assault weapon in CA.

But private party transfers of such guns, as long as they don't have AW features, are legal.

You might be able to scan various ads and find one that has a plain bbl and is for sale inside CA. Or you could have a friend moving to CA buy a Tactical in his/her home state, and then transfer it to you as a F2F PPT (face to face private party transfer) at a CA FFL dealer - once he has gained Calif DL & residency.

He'd also have to NOT bring it in with a threaded bbl (else he could be busted for an illegal unreg'd AW in CA). [I personally would not take possession of the orig threaded bbl if I got a USP Tactical via this method.]

Bill Wiese
San Jose

icormba
03-18-2005, 7:47 PM
even more stupid!
I can get this:
CZ 75 B (Black) 01102 / Steel Pistol 4.72" 9 mm 12/31/2005

But I cannot get the same CZ 75 B in Glossy Blue!!

imported_Rhiley
03-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Well I want to say... yes you can get a non threaded BBL and replace it for the threaded. CCF (Capital City Firearms) had them on there site for a long time. But wouldn’t you know it, you need it, and it’s gone. Give them a call and see if they are still available.

Follow Bill’s advice, do a privet party transfer and have the seller switch out the BBL’s before the transfer.

CCF: www.ccfa.com (http://www.ccfa.com)