PDA

View Full Version : LEGAL designated shooting areas?

soldier07110
07-30-2009, 3:34 PM
So I asked this in a different thread and got no responses, I'm hoping it's just because no one knew the right answer. A while back I was able to shoot up north on BLM (national forrest) land with a buddy of mine in areas where people generally don't venture, I'm looking for a similar area down here. Bear in mind my rifles are 100% legal in every way. I'm not trying to break any laws and/or appear to break them. I'm just looking for an area I can target shoot in that isn't a range. I usually shoot at Angeles range and I know that's in or near national forrest area. I asked a young ranger the same question and she took 20 minutes to tell me, "I don't know." So I'm hoping someone can provide me with some guidance. I live in Ventura and would like to locate a place within an hour and a half (if possible). If you know of one that's a bit outside that, don't hesitate to throw it out there.

Thanks in advance, this is my favorite forum, you are all very helpful.

Ron-Solo
07-30-2009, 8:48 PM
All of the 'open' shooting areas in the San Bernardino and Angeles National Forests have been closed for the remainder of fire season. The only ranges in the NF I know of that are open are the concession run ranges at Angeles, Burro Canyon, and Lytle Creek.

The high desert area around Victorville is very restricted and you have to go beyond Barstow to find places to shoot but it's very hot up there this time of year.

I'm not sure about the Lancaster/palmdale area. can't help you there.

soldier07110
07-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Eh, kind of what I was expecting to hear... Thanks for the info.

5shot
07-30-2009, 11:07 PM
start here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/recreation/hunting-shooting/

Then check with Ventura S.O.