View Full Version : Questions about PPT of AR Lower

07-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Need some information please. I am trying to buy a built up lower from a Calguns member who is not yet 21 yrs old but the gun shop I want to use will only do the PPT of stripped lowers, not built up. I know that it is not allowed for people under 21 to purchase stipped lowers but does this rule also apply to selling them?

Thanks in advance for the help.

07-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Tell us where you are, then someone can suggest a local that knows the law, and maybe even knows what they are doing.
all the best,

07-30-2009, 3:30 PM
Someone under 21 cannot buy a stripped lower, but he/she can sell one. They could even sell a pistol if they were under 21 but over 18. Since the seller does not fill out a 4473 it is a non-issue. And as of now, it would be DROS'd as a longgun. However should the buyer fail the background check the FFL may not be able to give the stripped lower back to the seller as they are under 21.

Not all FFL's will do this for you. As EagleMike said, disclose the area you in so we can recommend an FFL.

If you add a butt-stock to a lower it becomes a 'rifle' which allows someone between 18-21 to buy it from an FFL.

07-30-2009, 8:39 PM
EagleMike Lorax3,
Thanks for the replies. I sorted it out. I called the gun shop and they said no problem on transfering the stripped lower even if the seller is under 21. Explained all the same stuff you guys said above. It's a great shop, I have dealt with them before many times. I just needed to clarify with seller.

Looking forward to my new lower so I can build a .22lr training gun. Just came from a class this weekend. I figure the cost of building a .22lr AR will be justified in the saving in ammo from just 2 training classes.

thanks again