PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick: SA .45 1911 Milspec vs Loaded

sd_shooter
07-30-2009, 8:36 AM
I've ordered a SA 1911 Loaded from Bud's but it's waaaay backordered. My 90-day backorder period is almost over and I can either get my money back or I can stay in line.

Question: should I get my money back, spend $200 less on a Milspec or hold out for the Loaded? First 1991, BTW.

Thanks!

fuegoslow
07-30-2009, 8:42 AM
If funds are tight, stay in line for the loaded. I have one and love it. However, if you can swing it, pick up the G.I. While the loaded comes in. I can pretty much guarantee your first 1911 will NOT be your last.

SVRider
07-30-2009, 8:42 AM
Depending on what you plan to do with it afterwards.....

Are you going to change anything about either?

If you are planning on making lots of changes, I would say go with the Standard. If you are going to leave it as-is and just shoot it, go for the Loaded.

That's not to say that a few years down the road you won't change things, but if you plan on tweaking things from the get-go, get the more basic model, unless the Loaded has more than $200 worth of work in it that you wanted to do anyway....

...my $0.02....

Japsican
07-30-2009, 8:43 AM
I'd hold for the loaded...if that's what you really wanted in the first place. If you end up settling for the milspec, you're always going to be wishing you had the loaded. Both are great guns though! I started off with a milspec, but was always drooling over the loaded...now that I have a loaded...now I'm drooling over the TRP Operator...lmao.

Good Luck.

Marc

BamBam-31
07-30-2009, 8:44 AM
Loaded. Hands down. Not much more initially (especially if you're already shooting pricey .45 ammo), and much cheaper in the long run. A lot of the features on the Loaded are really necessary, IMHO. You'll just spend more $$$ later on to add them. The Loaded is a great package of features at an affordable price point.

5150Marcelo
07-30-2009, 8:47 AM
Just do it right and go Wilson!

PatriotnMore
07-30-2009, 8:53 AM
Loaded.

Kingofthehill
07-30-2009, 9:11 AM
Loaded!!!!!!!!

I have a 2 Loaded's and a GI and the differences are noticable

JOe

sholling
07-30-2009, 9:47 AM
Loaded. It has all of the features that you'd pay way more to have installed later. A second option is to switch over to a Smith & Wesson SW1911. I own S&W, Springfield Armory, and Kimber 1911s and S&W are my favorite of the three. In general they have a bit better fit and finish and trigger and are a tad more accurate. The only thing they lack is tritium sights.

Rekrab
07-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Personally I don't like the Loaded very much. The grip safety is really uncomfortable in my hands to the point of causing pain.

If you haven't already, go shoot it and make sure you like it. If you think you absolutely love the gun you should hold out for it.

That said, if you're super impatient you could certainly do worse than a Milspec. And the Milspec is a great platform to start building on because of the lowered ejection port and other misc stuff it comes with.

Personally, I walked away from Springfield and bought a Rock Island after shooting all three of the entry models from SA >.>

F-2_Challenger
07-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Difference is night and day. Stick with the loaded.

BHPFan
07-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Loaded. Hands down. Not much more initially (especially if you're already shooting pricey .45 ammo), and much cheaper in the long run. A lot of the features on the Loaded are really necessary, IMHO. You'll just spend more $$$ later on to add them. The Loaded is a great package of features at an affordable price point.

+1 , I couldn't say it any better.

BamBam-31
07-30-2009, 11:58 AM
+1 , I couldn't say it any better.

And a +1 to your +1, brother! :D

ghost
07-30-2009, 12:02 PM
between those two choices,get the loaded.

OofieXD
07-30-2009, 1:50 PM
Just put a Loaded in to the 10 day wait, so also vote for the Loaded.

jeffrice6
07-30-2009, 1:57 PM
I would say go for the Milspec. My first and only 1911 is a loaded, that being said.....I took off the ambi, changed out the trigger, changed the sights, changed out the guide rod, mainspring housing.....ect. I wish I had gone Milspec & spent the extra $ on what I wanted & not what SA gave me in the "package" Just my .02

C_1
07-30-2009, 2:06 PM
Go with the Loaded if you feel like you want its features. If not, start with a Milspec and custom build it to your own liking.

Centurion_D
07-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Go for the loaded. You won't regret it.

andrewj
07-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Loaded

swerv512
07-31-2009, 3:59 AM
between your two choices, the obvious answer is to get the loaded model. if i could put my own $0.02- i'd say save a lil more and get a TRP...

mr.elite
07-31-2009, 7:37 AM
LOADED.

Timberland
07-31-2009, 7:56 AM
Can anyone actually say why "Loaded" is better? Seriously? It has more modern features, the only real expensive diffrence is the cuts for sights. Most gunsmiths charge an arm and leg to mill out new sights. Everything else is a minor fit in diffrence. What model are you interested in? I own a loaded, like it, but would never pay the new retail price. You are almost at topshelf price, pay a bit more and get an even higher end gun, or lower and make it your own.

J-cat
07-31-2009, 7:59 AM
I've ordered a SA 1911 Loaded from Bud's but it's waaaay backordered. My 90-day backorder period is almost over and I can either get my money back or I can stay in line.

Question: should I get my money back, spend $200 less on a Milspec or hold out for the Loaded? First 1991, BTW.

Thanks!

Get the Milspec. Down the road, when you have an opportunity to handle a well built 1911, you'll see what a piece of crap the Loaded model is.

OofieXD
07-31-2009, 7:59 AM
How much is the retail for a loaded now?

thawein1856
07-31-2009, 8:04 AM
I was in the same position except I the store had all three of the models (GI, Mil, & loaded) all in the case. While a bit more expensive then I wanted to spend on my first 1911 the reason I went with it was that for the upgrades I would have done to get it to the loaded it would have been 2X the difference in the price between the loaded and milspec. I would say stick with the loaded and wait it out... the biggest problem will be, you'll get it, love it, and start looking for another one. =)

Ohh and I paid about $900 for mine, Stainless model.