PDA

View Full Version : Transferring a rifle via mail

TonyNorCal
02-14-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm in Northern Ca and wish to purchase a rifle from someone in Southern Ca. He's a private party. How do we do this. Does his FFL have to send to mine? Can he send directly to my FFL?

what's the procedure?

TonyNorCal
02-14-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm in Northern Ca and wish to purchase a rifle from someone in Southern Ca. He's a private party. How do we do this. Does his FFL have to send to mine? Can he send directly to my FFL?

what's the procedure?

imported_EOD Guy
02-15-2005, 6:33 AM
Assuming that the rifle is not a C&R over 50 years old, it would have to be sent to a dealer who will do the DROS and transfer to the buyer. It does not have to be shipped from an FFL. Check with the receiving dealer though. Some will not accept shipments from unlicensed individuals.

TonyNorCal
02-15-2005, 6:38 AM
What's the least expensive way to ship a rifle? Which company?

bwiese
02-15-2005, 7:27 AM
Tony....

Your guy in S. CA can ship directly to your FFL.
He does NOT need to ship from an FFL at his end.

Since it is a long gun, it can be shipped via US mail. (Handguns cannot be shipped from non-FFLs via US mail.)

I believe he does have to declare it as a firearm - don't just treat it like general "stuff". (Expect his clerk to go back to postmaster, and this might take an extra 5-10 minutes - some post offices do not know this so direct him to US Post office website and print out the information and have it ready.)

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Ted_Bell
02-15-2005, 3:52 PM
A while back I shipped a shotgun via US mail, and the clerks did not know the official policy. Just by luck, the lady was a gun person, so she called her "expert" husband who told her that it was ok as long as the gun was an antique -- completely incorrect info. I told her it was just so I could get the job done even though I had the copy of the ffl with me and knew the real policy.

If I had to do it again, I would find the official policy and print it out and bring it with you, so you can educate the clerk. Many post offices rarely see a gun, so it's a good idea to be prepared.

TB

imported_EOD Guy
02-16-2005, 6:16 AM
Section C024 of the Domestic Mail Manual contains the postal policies on shipping firearms. It is available on the USPS web site.

wayoutwest
02-16-2005, 8:22 AM
here you go (http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf)

Its .pdf file about page 63.