PDA

View Full Version : Even before CA was a state...

muntz
07-29-2009, 4:58 PM
This taken from my Great Great Grandfather's Autobiography, April 6th, 1847 when he was stationed in Los Angeles during the Mexican American War:

Owing to the fact that the Californains were not allowed to bear arms the following orders were issued for their protection...

Aparently we've had issues in this state since before it was a state.

IGOTDIRT4U
07-29-2009, 5:05 PM
This taken from my Great Great Grandfather's Autobiography, April 6th, 1847 when he was stationed in Los Angeles during the Mexican American War:

Wow!

Did he ever get his autobiography published? If he did, I would love to track down a copy.

Shotgun Man
07-29-2009, 8:03 PM

What orders? What else did he have to say?

radioman
07-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Your Great Great Grandfather was under the command of Captain Archibald Gillespie, who was under the command Commodore Robert F. Stockton. now under the terms of an agreement, known as the Cahuena Capitulation, there was to be no revenge for broken paroles, no condemnation of property, no discrimination between Californians and Americans, no restriction against the departure of any one from the province, no oath of allegiance, even, until peace had been signed between the United States and Mexico. All that was required of the Californians was the surrender of their artillery and public arms. A pledge to obey the laws of the United States and a promise to refrain fron joining the war again on behalf of Mexico.
The cession of California to the United States was formally recognized by the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, February 2, 1848.

spareparts
07-30-2009, 9:06 AM
Wow!

Did he ever get his autobiography published? If he did, I would love to track down a copy.

It was published. My family is Mormon so I'll warn you not to take offense but there's alot of Mormon talk in the autobiography. Here's a link, the easiest read is to click on PDF on the left side of the webpage:

http://www.archive.org/details/autobiographyofc00laytrich

What orders? What else did he have to say?

Found on pages 100-101.

Headquarters Southern Military District,
Los Angeles, April 11 1847
Orders No. 7.

(1)Company C Mormon Battalion will march tomorrow and take post in the canyon pass of the mountains about forty-five miles eastward of this town. Lieutenant Rosecrans, its commander, will select a spot for his camp as near to the narrowest and most defensible part as the convenience of water, feed and grass will admit of, and if necessary, effectually to prevent a passage of hostile Indians with or without horses he will erect a sufficient cover of logs or earth. It will be his duty to guard the pass effectually, and, if necessary, to send out armed parties, either on foot or mounted, to defend the ranchos of the vicinity, or to attack wandering parties of wild Indians.

P. St. George Cooke,
Lieut. Col. Commanding

IGOTDIRT4U
07-30-2009, 11:27 AM
;)It was published. My family is Mormon so I'll warn you not to take offense but there's alot of Mormon talk in the autobiography. Here's a link, the easiest read is to click on PDF on the left side of the webpage:

http://www.archive.org/details/autobiographyofc00laytrich

Thanks!

And I have absolutely no problems with the Mormons or their faith. ;)