PDA

View Full Version : Certificate of Eligibility: New Interpretation?

Scout106
07-29-2009, 1:12 PM
Most know that a COE is simply a pre-conducted background clearance check for purchasing firearms. It is most commonly used by 03 FFL Curio & Relic Collectors and is a necessity to work in sales of firearms at a gun store.

I was recently told that DOJ FD has a "new" interpretation that a COE will waive the 10 day wait on a MODERN long gun (rifle or shotgun). Anybody confirm this? If true, is the C&R required along with the COE, even though it is a modern firearm?

This information came from a dealer who initially said the 10 day wait was required. He later contacted DOJ FA and was told of the new interpretation that legalized the sale with no wait for a COE holder. This all makes way too much sense to me but maybe AG Jerry Brown has had some influence. Next step would be to issue the COE for a three year period rather than the current one year, which is a pain in the butt. DOJ failed to deliver my last renewal until I called them 6 months after issue.

zinfull
07-29-2009, 2:15 PM
Yes it is true but I remember that you need a FFL03 with the COE to work. Have been doing this for years.

jerry

sholling
07-29-2009, 2:24 PM
Most know that a COE is simply a pre-conducted background clearance check for purchasing firearms. It is most commonly used by 03 FFL Curio & Relic Collectors and is a necessity to work in sales of firearms at a gun store.

I was recently told that DOJ FD has a "new" interpretation that a COE will waive the 10 day wait on a MODERN long gun (rifle or shotgun). Anybody confirm this? If true, is the C&R required along with the COE, even though it is a modern firearm?

This information came from a dealer who initially said the 10 day wait was required. He later contacted DOJ FA and was told of the new interpretation that legalized the sale with no wait for a COE holder. This all makes way too much sense to me but maybe AG Jerry Brown has had some influence. Next step would be to issue the COE for a three year period rather than the current one year, which is a pain in the butt. DOJ failed to deliver my last renewal until I called them 6 months after issue.
I'd be shocked if it were true. Happy because I just ordered a new handgun, but shocked. As of a few months ago the O3 and COE only let you out of the 10 day wait for C&Rs and exempted you from 1 the handgun a month law. Even LE can't skip the 10 day wait without a letter from their agency.

ke6guj
07-29-2009, 2:30 PM
Yes it is true but I remember that you need a FFL03 with the COE to work. Have been doing this for years.

jerryreally? An 03 + COE exempts you from the 10-day wait on Modern firearms? I hadn't seen that in the PC. I do know that it does exempt you from the 10-day wait on C&R firearms, and does exempt you from the 1-in-30-day wait on C&R and Modern handguns, but did not know about any 10-day wait exemption on Modern firearms.

Cali-V
07-29-2009, 2:43 PM
I just got of the line (I had to call, just too good to be true) and..
The Field Rep.(?) said it was just the 3 exemptions:

No 1 handgun in 30 days
No wait for C&R's
No HSC

She did not see any new exemption...

What dose the code say?

bwiese
07-29-2009, 3:02 PM
I am confident that the COE /+C&R does not allow modern long guns purchasers to avoid the 10 day wait.

If it did, folks would be lined up around the block for LiveScan.

Cali-V
07-29-2009, 3:06 PM
THREE ABREAST...

technique
07-29-2009, 3:09 PM
While I was waiting on the DMV for a good copy of vehicle registration, one of the very strict policy FFLs in my area took my COE as residency for a modern handgun...I think thats about all its done for me. I don't have the C&R.

CHS
07-29-2009, 3:10 PM
Most know that a COE is simply a pre-conducted background clearance check for purchasing firearms and is a necessity to work in sales of firearms at a gun store.

That's not true.

The law says that it's necessary if the owners/license holder deem it necessary.

Yeah, I know, circular and stupid. Regardless, I don't have one and I sell guns for a living :)

CHS
07-29-2009, 3:12 PM
I am confident that the COE /+C&R does not allow modern long guns purchasers to avoid the 10 day wait.

What, exactly, is the point of a COE if it doesn't actually exempt you from anything? (besides COE + C&R)

bwiese
07-29-2009, 3:36 PM
What, exactly, is the point of a COE if it doesn't actually exempt you from anything? (besides COE + C&R)

Feel-good legislation so that some legislator can say, "I've stopped all those criminals working at a gunshop".

dfletcher
07-29-2009, 3:39 PM
It exempts you from the 1 per 30 dealer sale restriction on all handguns including modern. I'd heard before that it also eliminates the need for an HSC card, wasn't certain but I see it's also mentioned in an above posting. Personally, if it does, I'd still get the HSC anyway since it's only $25.00 for 5 years.

CHS
07-29-2009, 3:42 PM
It exempts you from the 1 per 30 dealer sale restriction on all handguns including modern.

No it doesn't. It only does that in combination with some kind of FFL (01 or 03/C&R)

I'd heard before that it also eliminates the need for an HSC card, wasn't certain but I see it's also mentioned in an above posting. Personally, if it does, I'd still get the HSC anyway since it's only $25.00 for 5 years.

Heh, so it's a more expensive version of the HSC. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

CHS
07-29-2009, 3:44 PM
Feel-good legislation so that some legislator can say, "I've stopped all those criminals working at a gunshop".

Except that the entire system is optional so it doesn't do a damn thing.

If these laws weren't real, I'd be laughing at how absurd they are.

zinfull
07-29-2009, 3:44 PM
So sorry i miss read the post. I need to drink more coffe in the afternoon.

It would be nice to be exempt from all thew BS post firearm purchase requirements.

jerry

ke6guj
07-29-2009, 3:46 PM
Heh, so it's a more expensive version of the HSC. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I think it is only an HSC exemption for C&R handguns, and only if you have a C&R FFL as well.

What are the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) requirement exemption codes?

X01 = Special Weapons Permit Holder
X02 = Operation of Law Representative
X03 = Handgun being returned to the owner
X13 = FFL collector with COE (curio and relic handguns only)
X21 = Military - Active Duty
X22 = Military - Reserve
X25 = Military - Honorably Retired
X31 = Peace Officer - California - Active
X32 = Peace Officer - Federal - Active
X33 = Peace Officer - California - Honorably Retired
X34 = Peace Officer - California - Reserve
X35 = Peace Officer - Federal - Honorably Retired
X41 = Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit Holder
X81 = P.O.S.T. 832 PC (Firearms) Training
X91 = Particular and Limited Authority Peace Officers
X95 = Law Enforcement Service Gun to Family Member

dfletcher
07-30-2009, 8:16 AM
No it doesn't. It only does that in combination with some kind of FFL (01 or 03/C&R)

Oops, right - my mispeak. Was assuming we were talking about COE in concert with Type 03 FFL.

B Strong
07-30-2009, 9:11 AM

It would look like the line for Stones tickets in 1973.