PDA

View Full Version : How clean are your barrels?

eldy
07-29-2009, 5:24 AM
I have a Sig P220 ST with a 4.4" barrel.

I've been told that there should be absolutely nothing in your barrels but cleaning to that point would seem to be ridiculous.

Here is my procedure after all the safety checks:

Brush bore five times back and forth with a brass brush
Soak about half of a patch with Shooter's Choice MC-17 and run it through the bore with a slotted tip
Flip the patch's ends and run it back through the bore
Switch to a jag and run a clean and dry patch through once
If there is visible carbon build up on the bore brush bristles, I spray it down with Gun Scrubber until it drips clear.
Repeat

The clean and dry patch will come out very clean with just a little discoloration from carbon, if any, after about the tenth cycle.

I repeated this cycle at least 50 times (used more than half my 250 ct. bag of patches!) last night and I can still see carbon build up between and exactly following the rifling the last half of the barrel and also right next to some of the rifling also primarily on the last half of the barrel. The landings are perfectly clean and free of any apparent fouling.

A solvent soaked patch run through after brushing still comes through very dirty with carbon even after all those cycles.

The OTIS brush I'm using and jag are the proper size for my caliber.

Should I go at it again tonight and try to get everything out of there?

Midian
07-29-2009, 5:33 AM
I wash my barrel daily.

If you....uh...know what I mean.

opgarlic
07-29-2009, 5:39 AM
< noob

Lancear15
07-29-2009, 6:14 AM
what type of barrel?

I am guessing you are talking about a rifle barrel. If it is a rifle barrel your talking about then you posted in the wrong section.

nic
07-29-2009, 6:58 AM
To the OP:
I used to be as obsessive about cleaning my barrels as you. Then I got more and more into shooting, and realized that not only was that kind of cleaning extremely tiring, time-consuming, and frustrating, but unnecessary. Overzealous cleaning can damage your barrels.

My cleaning regimen for barrels, whether rifle or pistol, is as follows:
1) Soak a patch with MPro7 Bore Gel
2) Run said patch down barrel.
3) Let sit for 10 minutes so that the solvent can break down the crud in the barrel.
4) Run a boresnake through 3 or 4 times.
5) Done. Go grab a drink.

This method always gets the majority of crap out of my barrels, and leaves them very clean with a minimum of fuss and frustration.
Whatever your cleaning method is, always keep in mind that incorrect and overzealous cleaning can seriously damage your weapon's barrel.
-Nic

DDRH
07-29-2009, 7:09 AM
wow, that's a lotta cleaning...i just run an Otis kit(snake) through a few times with maybe 2 patches, and a dry one. run a bore snake through, and clean my chamber about maybe after 2-3 outtings. Depends how many rounds i put through. other than that i let it run wid some carbon...dont' want it too squeaky clean, it might take off the finish.

of course cosmetics wise, i do use a bit of Break Free or Otis CLP, and run over the slide to have that new look again, but a very very light coat, then i wipe off any excess.

i love the smell of Otis CLP n Break Free CLP

no deep cleaning too much work.

i only clean from chamber to muzzle (one direction ONLY, the way the bullet travels)...you're running the patch through the bore back and forth????

I've heard you shouldn't do that...anyone wanna chime in? go wid the grain.

sargenv
07-29-2009, 7:13 AM
People clean barrels?

I find that most of the damage done to a firearm is done while "cleaning" it. Just shoot the damn thing.. If there is lead buildup I can understand, but otherwise, you likely will not notice any loss of accuracy at most of the distances we shoot.

I doubt that 10 minutes will break down that crud you are talking about. If you really want to break down crud, plug the barrel, pour in the solvent, and let stand overnight.

I dislike boresnakes.. After you use them a few times, they are dirty and have crud on them that cannot be removed, and every time you run them through your barrel, you run that crud back down your barrel. Use a cleaning rod and patches that you use once and discard.

For patches, I don't buy "gun cleaning patches" since you usually pay a lot of money for what is basically Pillow ticking. I go to the fabric store and pick up 100% cotton scraps that are usually quite cheap and cut them to the sizes that I want.

CrazyJeep
07-29-2009, 7:17 AM
I have a Sig P220 ST...

...I can still see carbon build up between and exactly following the rifling the last half of the barrel and also right next to some of the rifling also primarily on the last half of the barrel.

I have a P220 as well and I have carbon that will not come out for the life of me. I gave up trying a few years ago.

swerv512
07-29-2009, 7:32 AM
for some people it depends on the firearm in question- some barrels shoot "better" with a little fouling while some shoot better completely absent of fouling. i clean my barrels until they are completely clean first using hoppes #9 on a patch (wet, then dry until no fouling present) and then letting #9 sit in barrel for about 20-30min. then i repeat using BR#9 but letting it sit longer. then running clp down barrel to neutralize any BR#9 left before i dry patch again until completely clean--->
now you see why i only take 1 or 2 guns to the range...

MiguelS
07-29-2009, 7:39 AM
I get a qtip and soak with Hoppes.
Insert into barrel from one side.
Soak the other side of the qtip and insert from the opposite side.
Clean the slide/frame/guide.
Run brush bore a few times.
Run soak patch twice, then two dry patches and then one oil patch.
Done.

I clean mine after shooting, it is not competely clean, but as long as I look down the barrel (unloaded :) ) and dont see speckles of build up down it, I call it a day.

house
07-29-2009, 7:40 AM
maybe i am crazy, most of the time i just spray down the barrel with wd40 after shooting... then when the gun is really dirty i use an otis cleaning kit( i think it is great ) and swab the barrel with some sort of gun cleaning solvet, then run a dry patch through it 3 times (the number of times you can use an otis patch), i do this 3 times (reusing the same wet patch) and most of the time that does it.... pretty fast and you only end up using 4 patches...

anyway i just have to say that i think wd40 is probably the best gun cleaning gear available, it does not really break down carbon all that well but for wiping off gun surfaces and getting in the nooks with a toothbrush it works great... jmho

buffybuster
07-29-2009, 7:52 AM
I have a Sig P220 ST with a 4.4" barrel.

I've been told that there should be absolutely nothing in your barrels but cleaning to that point would seem to be ridiculous.

Here is my procedure after all the safety checks:

Brush bore five times back and forth with a brass brush
Soak about half of a patch with Shooter's Choice MC-17 and run it through the bore with a slotted tip
Flip the patch's ends and run it back through the bore
Switch to a jag and run a clean and dry patch through once
If there is visible carbon build up on the bore brush bristles, I spray it down with Gun Scrubber until it drips clear.
Repeat

The clean and dry patch will come out very clean with just a little discoloration from carbon, if any, after about the tenth cycle.

I repeated this cycle at least 50 times (used more than half my 250 ct. bag of patches!) last night and I can still see carbon build up between and exactly following the rifling the last half of the barrel and also right next to some of the rifling also primarily on the last half of the barrel. The landings are perfectly clean and free of any apparent fouling.

A solvent soaked patch run through after brushing still comes through very dirty with carbon even after all those cycles.

The OTIS brush I'm using and jag are the proper size for my caliber.

Should I go at it again tonight and try to get everything out of there?

If you are shooting Jacketed ammunition just SHOOT IT. I Clean the chamber, breech face, slide rails, frame occasionally (every 2K) but lube regularly. Hardly every clean my bore other than to run a patch/boresnake just to make sure the bore is clear. Otherwise SHOOT IT.

If you are shooting LEAD ammo, just run a patch through and look for leading in the barrel. If you see leading, then I wet patch the bore with solvent, get some copper Chore Boy, cut a small piece off, wrap it around an old bore brush, saturate that and run that through the bore a few times. That WILL get the lead out. Most times, you can shoot thousands of rounds without leading, if the correct lube is used (beyond your control unless you cast your own).

There's little reason to get EVERY the bore down to absolute bare metal. As soon as you put one round through, it will begin redepositing right where the fouling wants to go.

Greg-Dawg
07-29-2009, 8:26 AM
1. Spray MPro7 into barrel and bore brush.
2. Run brush through barrel and run patch until patch comes out white.

Done.

Army GI
07-29-2009, 10:03 AM
If you are shooting Jacketed ammunition just SHOOT IT. I Clean the chamber, breech face, slide rails, frame occasionally (every 2K) but lube regularly. Hardly every clean my bore other than to run a patch/boresnake just to make sure the bore is clear. Otherwise SHOOT IT.

If you are shooting LEAD ammo, just run a patch through and look for leading in the barrel. If you see leading, then I wet patch the bore with solvent, get some copper Chore Boy, cut a small piece off, wrap it around an old bore brush, saturate that and run that through the bore a few times. That WILL get the lead out. Most times, you can shoot thousands of rounds without leading, if the correct lube is used (beyond your control unless you cast your own).

I agree with this post 100%. If I am shooting a gun that fires a smokeless powder cartridge, I don't clean the bore. If it is a semi auto, I break down the action and receiver and clean the dirt from there so it operates correctly. If it's a bolt action or lever action I just take the bolt off, wipe it down, and replace it.

These cleaning habits are also why I reload for all my ComBloc weapons. Since much of the surplus 7.62R ammo is corrosive, I reload it with a simple loading of IMR 4895 and a SMK bullet. A little more expensive but cleaning problem solved.

But I do a complete cleanup when shooting black powder weapons such as my Colt SAA. I don't want any rust accumulating on my gun.

Most of the cheapo steel rod cleaning kits you see actually ruin your barrel because people don't know how to clean it right.

M1A Rifleman
07-29-2009, 11:10 AM
I can tell you it takes me about 5-7 days to get my pistol barrels 100% clean to the point that when a jag and patch is pushed through, it comes out perfectly clean. Even when shooting jacketed it take time to get all the powder fouling out.

I use only Hoppes.

Bird of Fire
07-29-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm probably not that good of a shot to notice my bullet deviated from its intended flight path .002 inches to justify further cleaning of said barrel.

It needs to be clean, not sterile.

5hundo
07-29-2009, 11:43 AM
I clean my Glock's barrel after every shooting session...

Sometimes I wait a few days...

...which can turn into a couple weeks. :o

At that point, I make a focussed effort to clean it...

bangkok
07-29-2009, 12:02 PM
I run a Boresnake thru my guns 2 or 3 times after shooting them, then go on about other business. I have never had any problems.:)

MiguelS
07-29-2009, 12:14 PM
It needs to be clean, not sterile.

Good way to put it.

eldy
07-29-2009, 2:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I guess I was rattled by this sponsored match shooter when I took out my Sig for the very first time. He told me that there should be nothing at all in the barrel and that I should have did the "one shot, clean, two shots, clean..." method to break in my barrel when I told him that I just cleaned the excess oil off and then shot it 300+ rounds with plans to clean it very well right after. :)

Looks like the factory put some rounds through though... it wasn't 100% clean when I got it. This is my first gun so... :)

Jonathan Doe
07-29-2009, 4:20 PM
My barrels are not sqeaky clean, but they are clean enough that my guns hit the target I need to hit.

bin31z
07-29-2009, 4:39 PM
I put some hoppes on the front of my boresnake and run it through a couple of times. Then I put some oil on the snake again and run it through a couple of times. That's it!

MILLITIAof1
07-29-2009, 4:44 PM
I just pull a bore snake through it once or twice, thats it.

BamBam-31
07-29-2009, 6:44 PM
I used to be anal and clean my guns after every range session. Now, it's more like once a year. And my Glock 17 gets shot almost weekly, too. I swear it's more accurate when dirty.

bin31z
08-01-2009, 8:42 PM
If you watch AGI videos, you'll see that master gunsmiths just spray some simple green or CLP down the barrel and brush it a couple of times everything thousand or so rounds. They say you CAN use stuff like hoppes if you want but be careful since it can eat through, damage, or discolor alot of other components on the gun. No a problem for guns like the 1911 but on glocks, it'll eat thro the plating on the internal parts after long term usage.

Stormfeather
08-02-2009, 8:44 AM
I clean my guns about once a year. I missed this year since I was deployed, so I will make sure to clean them next year for sure.

Timberwolf
08-02-2009, 8:48 AM
Your suppose to clean barrels?

B Strong
08-02-2009, 9:56 AM
Here's the simple way to get pistol barrels squeaky clean:

I have a bucket full of M-pro-7.

Take down the piece, leave the barrel in the bucket overnight.

Remove the barrel from the bucket, spray down the exterior and interior of the barrel with gun scrubber.

Run a patch through the barrel soaked with whatever cleaning solvent you prefer, I use Shooters Choice.

Run a dry patch through the barrel and see how much fouling etc. gets removed.

Brass brush soaked with solvent X (let your diligence be your guide) amount of times.

Dry patch, should be pretty close at this point.

Patch soaked in solvent, dry patch (or boresnake) check bore, you're done.

Sheepdog1968
08-08-2009, 10:03 AM
I've got over 8000 rounds through my 220. Some times all I do is field strip it and use the recoild rod to help push a Rem oil wipe through it. This is what I do about half of the time.

The other half of the time:
Spray break free CLP and let sit for 10 min.

Run brass brush w CLP through it five or 10 times.

Run three patches soaked w CLP (yes they still come out a bit dirty but I don't worry about it).

Run dry patch through it and barrel is done.

After 8000 rounds through it the barrel looks great. No pitting, copper, etc visible to the eye and it still shoots more accurate than I am.

For rifles and shotguns I do about the same and everything seems to be fine.

3GunFunShooter
08-08-2009, 7:36 PM
More guns have been ruined by over cleaning than under cleaning.

Rob454
08-08-2009, 8:29 PM
My uncle has this old old lever action 30-30. he takes it home sprays some brake fluid and WD 40 in the barrel and thas about it. its a old rifle and it still shoots straight. All his other guns he takes care of. This one was a beater when he got it for 50$ at a garage sale and it stayed that way.
I dont think that gun had a brush down the barrel maybe 1x a year if that.
i woudl think that a perfectly clean shiny barrel would be a waste of time. As for wearing down a barrel by overcleaning it no i dont think a soft copper brush and swabs can create that much wear.

nn3453
08-08-2009, 9:08 PM
I mostly shoot revolvers.

I clean my handguns every 300-500 rounds. That involves running a bore snake followed by a patch or two.

Before a match or every 750 rounds, I will use a brush just for peace of mind.

Anything more than that is being OCD. If you are good enough to the point where you need to run a brush 5 times and 3 different solvents, you shouldn't be posting here. You should be making big bucks at the national level and have no free time to post on calguns.

In other words, your gun is way more accurate than you are. Ruin it by shooting it, not by running brushes through it.

cheers.