PDA

View Full Version : Going on the meritorious Corporal board coming up

The Soup Nazi
07-29-2009, 1:03 AM
Managed to be one of the top two choices for Corporal board and recommended for a NAM in my company and then singled out to go up against squadron.

Taking my board photo tomorrow or Friday, just wondering for whoever has been on a board what it takes to win aside from the past number of MCIs/book reports, awards, rifle qual, pro/cons and PFT? I've heard that promotion boards are incredibly competitive, however, this is my chance at becoming an NCO with only 14 months time in service.

Requiem
07-29-2009, 7:14 AM
Hating you...

JK, good luck.

rkt88edmo
07-29-2009, 7:26 AM
I have no idea what you just said but it sounds like you are doing well. Keep it up Soupy.

Socal Shooter
07-29-2009, 8:18 AM

joodaman
07-29-2009, 8:48 AM
study your general knowledge

i got promoted meritoriously to corporal in okinawa. me and the other guy were tied as far as points, shooting, pft, etc. it came down to a "sudden death" knowledge battle. after about three rounds of us both getting everything right, the question he failed to answer correctly was "when is colors played?" he answered incorrectly, i answered correctly, and got promoted.

basically be a Marine in everything you do.

Requiem
07-29-2009, 1:34 PM
"when is colors played?" he answered incorrectly, i answered correctly, and got promoted.

0800 and sunset?

:D

J_B
07-29-2009, 1:34 PM
What peeps have said and good luck lance coolee

ilbob
07-29-2009, 6:33 PM
An acquaintance of mine from way back when, related how he went before a promotion board (probably in the late 50s) and the Sgt in charge of the board conducted a uniform inspection.

All of the inspectees apparently did equally well in the uniform inspection, so the Sgt had them remove their outer clothing to inspect the condition of their underwear and socks. One of the guys managed to fail that part of the inspection. He had a tee shirt on but no underpants.

Desert_Rat
07-29-2009, 7:02 PM
Study up on the BST,If they are still used.All general knowledge up to CPL.
I was merit. promoted to cpl. in 95' We had to drill a platoon using one of the three drill cards,Including the sword manual of arms.the interview is where I think Most Marines lose it. Military bearing and confidence is key. If you do not know haw many holes are in an MRE cracker,just reply"I do not know how many holes are in an MRE cracker 1st,Sgt,but I will find out and get back to you" just make sure you do get back with wichever member of the board you said that to.I'd study all weaps knowledge/specs. when I was in NBC was a big deal so know that too.All this aside from 1st class pft,rifle score,pistol score if any,pro/cons and all else.

What I did to prepare for the interview was to take the BST and write all and I mean all of it onto 3x4 postcards. Example: What is the maximum range of the m-16a2 service rifle.and on the back the answer 3534meters. then on the next card ,max. effective range,point target/area target,,,,you get the drift,,,
Good luck!
Semper Fi!

TurboS600
07-29-2009, 7:48 PM
Study up on the BST,If they are still used.All general knowledge up to CPL.
I was merit. promoted to cpl. in 95' We had to drill a platoon using one of the three drill cards,Including the sword manual of arms.the interview is where I think Most Marines lose it. Military bearing and confidence is key. If you do not know haw many holes are in an MRE cracker,just reply"I do not know how many holes are in an MRE cracker 1st,Sgt,but I will find out and get back to you" just make sure you do get back with wichever member of the board you said that to.I'd study all weaps knowledge/specs. when I was in NBC was a big deal so know that too.All this aside from 1st class pft,rifle score,pistol score if any,pro/cons and all else.

What I did to prepare for the interview was to take the BST and write all and I mean all of it onto 3x4 postcards. Example: What is the maximum range of the m-16a2 service rifle.and on the back the answer 3534meters. then on the next card ,max. effective range,point target/area target,,,,you get the drift,,,
Good luck!
Semper Fi!

+1. Military bearing is the key. They will ask questions that you could not possibly have the answer to and see how you will react. Just answer as Desert Rat said and make sure you get the answer back to the questioner. Don't ever appear flustered! Remain calm and collected and show them that you will be cool as a cucumber under pressure once you are an NCO. I got CPL meritoriously at Camp Hansen in the mid-80s. Good luck Devil Dog.
Semper Fielddayus...I mean....
Semper Fi.

F-2_Challenger
07-31-2009, 8:17 AM
When I went up and won my board it was all about you the Marine. Sell yourself as the best they have. Have all the knowledge from the green monster memorized. Have and know all uniform regs. Know placement of chevrons on all uniforms, know service trouser length, dress blue/green trouser length. liberty circle, ucmj, COC, drill command given off of what foot by heart. Know you weapons and armor id. Know you General orders, codes of conduct. Sword manual.

Military bearing is key. don't second guess yourself. Don't make faces, look them in the eye and tell them you don't know or you tell them the answer. Only call them by their names if you know all of their names if not rank only. Make sure if your doing your oral in a non dress uniform it is serviceable and no ip's. Depending on you uod make sure you boots shine like no other.

Mine started off with a pft, then J.O.B. and Wall locker inspection, then drill, then oral board. Don't try to sing in drill if you haven't practiced and cant keep the pace. Make damn sure your squared the eff away. Weapon spotless, room, wall locker, rack, foot locker.

Pm me if you want more info.

6172crew
07-31-2009, 9:21 AM
As a Marine NCO I finally figured out what they were looking for, they want you to be able to talk with the board like you are talking with us. Dont get worked up. Alot of WMs make it because they didnt get worked up over the fact they are speaking/answering to a group of guys who have been in longer than you have been alive. Try thinking of them as Grandpa or some old guy you met on the street or bar. Just 2 Vets shooting the ****.

If you dont know the material then its too late for that.:chris:

Good luck CPL! Yes I said CPL, its ok to refer to a LTCOL as COL and a LCPL as CPL..just dont go backwards with that one.;)

BTW do you know WO Crawford? I think he is the AMO for a drone squadron in the stumps.

The Soup Nazi
07-31-2009, 6:41 PM
BTW do you know WO Crawford? I think he is the AMO for a drone squadron in the stumps.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to tour any of the VMU squadrons in the stumps during MOS school due to time restraints. I know a Sergeant who lat moved into UAVs and is currently stationed at 29 Palms though.

6172crew
08-04-2009, 6:41 AM
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to tour any of the VMU squadrons in the stumps during MOS school due to time restraints. I know a Sergeant who lat moved into UAVs and is currently stationed at 29 Palms though.
Ah, just noticed your in Oki now. I flew around the island and picked up a few things for the boat but never had the chance to spend any time there. I hear the diving is outstanding.

Im sure your going to make it to Iwo Jima, right?

The Soup Nazi
08-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Results came back, it was a pure book board. Got 2nd place, don't think it's too bad for someone who only has 3 months in the fleet. Haven't heard yet whether they have 1 or 2 spots for group board.

Ah, just noticed your in Oki now. I flew around the island and picked up a few things for the boat but never had the chance to spend any time there. I hear the diving is outstanding.

Im sure your going to make it to Iwo Jima, right?

Going to try as soon as the next spot opens, might be a little hard now, almost completely sure that I'm getting tagged on the MEU soon.

haiedras
08-06-2009, 6:33 PM
Whooo! the Thirty-worst! :) J/k of course, nice job with the board!

badreligion
08-07-2009, 9:33 AM
Never liked meritorious boards. If some one is deserving they should be promoted baised on thier merits not versus the merits of someone else. That plus a few other reasons is why I turned down several meritorious boards. I still made Sergeant on my first Enlistment, but that took alot more work. Good luck and Semper Fi.