PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Beck Speaks Out on Carry Rights

yellowfin
07-28-2009, 8:52 PM
http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/28442/
Gun toting Glenn

July 27, 2009 - 12:28 ET

GLENN: That's right, my friends. From behind my cardboard microphone, allow me to go out on a limb here for just a minute here. I think, theory, I think the media may be slightly out of touch and perhaps no more out of touch in any other area besides guns. To you guns are a constitutional right. They help, you know, protect you, your family, you know, those things. They're something to street with respect. You use them responsibly, they provide peace of mind. But the media lives in Manhattan or Washington D.C. or the little green bubble in Los Angeles. You know, these are the places where, you know, acquiring a gun is more difficult than, you know, looking like me and then acquiring a night with Carrie Underwood. You know what I'm saying? It ain't happening. To me guns do not kill people. To the media guns, not people, are responsible for killing people. They are responsible for all criminal activity in America. It's the evil gun. People who have guns are threats. They are not responsible citizens. But I've learned something else. I had an interview last week with Senator John Thune and I want to play the clip. It starts with audio from Michael Bloomberg and then my reaction. Listen carefully. This is TV last week.

BLOOMBERG: Criminals will be able to contain conceal carry permits and walk the streets carrying handguns. They will be able to walk into bars in restaurants with guns, to be able to go to the movies with guns, and there will be nothing that our police officers can do about it.

GLENN (ARCHIVED): I went to the movie this weekend with a gun and surprise, surprise, I didn't kill anybody.

GLENN: Okay, this is what I said on television. Well, my gosh. It has set the liberal media on fire. Ahhhh! Ahhhhh! Ahhhh! That went made people go crazy. The Huffington Post headlined their story, Glenn Beck's Startling Post. Ahhhh! It was startling, wasn't it? I'm not sure exactly what was so startling about it but one, they can't imagine someone would be so unsafe to endanger American citizens by bringing a gun into their presence! This goes back to the leftist idea of what guns are. They're just a dangerous mistake by the founding fathers. They are in the Constitution for no other reason than for them to get powerful enough in the courts to remove them! That's all they're for.

Theory number two, I guess they think it's some sort of mass paranoia: Look at Glenn Beck, he's such a crazy person. He thinks movies are dangerous. He thinks at some point maybe he was at Transformers. Maybe those Transformers will come out of the screen and attack him. Yes, I do have to apologize to the AMC in Philadelphia. When I first saw the Bourne Identity, I was just trying to help Jason Bourne. I didn't know that was I thought he was being attacked by a 40 foot head. I didn't know. I just shot blindly at the screen.

This is again a fundamental misunderstanding of what guns are. For a lot of people in America with concealed carry permits, they're not something that you lock in your gun safe and pull out only when the alarm goes off and you hear glass breaking at 3:00 a.m. You conceal the weapon and carry it. Here's the shocking thing. Depending on where you live, you have probably been in a movie theater with guns every time you are in the movie theater. Ahhhh! Somehow or another you survived every single movie theater experience you had where someone had a concealed weapon. "Why are they concealing it? That's the real question. Why don't they just carry it out in the open?" If they would let me strap it to my leg, I would. You don't carry your gun only to situations that you deem dangerous in advance. "I don't know, honey, I normally don't take my gun with me but I have a feeling I may be robbed tonight." You carry your gun. 99.9 times you go out driving, you don't need a driver's license, but there is that off chance that something happens and the cop says, "Can I see your driver's license?" Oh, crap! You bring it with you every time. Sure, movies don't seem dangerous but neither did English class at Virginia Tech. Neither did immigration service center in Binghamton, New York. And could there been a situation that seems safer on the surface than the moments right after recess at an Amish school in Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania?

You see, when I leave my house in the morning, I take all of my rights with me, kind of like... mine, those rights. And I take them the media, you know, they remember. Well, occasionally, you know, the freedom of speech or the freedom of press. They don't necessarily always remember freedom of speech, but they always remember freedom of the press, unless you're on Fox News. What they always forget, that whole freedom thing when it comes to Amendment Number 2.
dd5pvZ2reec&hl=en&fs=1&

PonchoTA
07-28-2009, 9:34 PM
The fundamental difference in the thought process between the two groups is:

The anti's believe that, ARMED, we are all potential murderers and killers.

We believe that, UNARMED, we are all potential victims.

:(

phamkl
07-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Check this blog out:
http://thinkprogress.org/2009/07/22/beck-gun-movies/

There was one commented that was voted down:
Cicero says:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So long as he followed the laws, why should it matter if Beck carried a concealed gun into a theater, so long as the theater itself does not prohibit it?

Later,

7x57
07-28-2009, 10:47 PM
Of more significance is the fact that the commenters are quite clear that they believe that gun owners are dangerous and unstable. It's worth paying attention to what they think of us.

7x57

drk421
07-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Of more significance is the fact that the commenters are quite clear that they believe that gun owners are dangerous and unstable. It's worth paying attention to what they think of us.

I've had the best luck inviting "them" to go shooting.

Not to mention I've gotten a couple of them to buy AK style rifles. They all warm up to it after a few trips to the range.

7x57
07-28-2009, 11:21 PM
I've had the best luck inviting "them" to go shooting.

Not to mention I've gotten a couple of them to buy AK style rifles. They all warm up to it after a few trips to the range.

But the point is, you're getting a fairly unvarnished view of how the unconverted view us. That affects how they vote.

7x57

GoodEyeSniper
07-28-2009, 11:46 PM
I wanna know what his carry piece is :chris:

phamkl
07-29-2009, 1:01 AM
I'd be surprised if it's not an American gun. I'd put my money on S&W M&P in .40.

press1280
07-29-2009, 3:27 AM
I wanna know what his carry piece is :chris:

I'd also like to know if he has one of the sought after NYC carry permits, although I thought maybe he lives in CT.

I just had an idea....if he doesn't have a NYC permit, but he works in NYC, he would be eligible to apply for one. Maybe he could do a piece on all the hoops one has to jump through to get the NYC permit?

taloft
07-29-2009, 3:56 AM
Geeezz, those comments on the "Think Progress" web blog don't show much thinking or progressing. Those people have some serious projection issues.

Futurecollector
07-29-2009, 4:18 AM
He is my hero!

dieselcarpenter
07-29-2009, 11:19 AM
:confused:

WOW!!! I posted about Glenns Book the other day in wich he champions gun rights, told you all to check him out and I was savaged by the soft left leaning RINO pseudo conservative gun toters on this site. Why the sudden change up? Where were you all then?

And yes Glenn is MY hero as well!! :D

trinydex
07-29-2009, 11:36 AM
why did he not explicitly call out the LIE that the politician spoke? politician said CRIMINALS will be able to obtain permits to carry concealed, that's false...

yellowfin
07-29-2009, 11:58 AM
why did he not explicitly call out the LIE that the politician spoke? politician said CRIMINALS will be able to obtain permits to carry concealed, that's false... In his previous video on the matter which sparked the response, he did:
Cizz9lhjyDQ[/QUOTE]

trinydex
07-29-2009, 12:03 PM
ah thank you

Gray Peterson
07-29-2009, 2:04 PM
Where does Glenn Beck live?

cactustactical
07-29-2009, 2:15 PM
People need to understand that being a CCW holder, most of us wake up in the morning and put our pants on, shoes on, shirt on, gun on.... It is just another part of my daily attire. I don't "strap one on" because I think today might be the day to use it...

It is just a part of my wardrobe, period. If there is ever a time I need it I know it will always be there. There is no "forgetting" to put it on, just like my shoes.

gucci pilot
07-29-2009, 2:58 PM
Where does Glenn Beck live?

Connecticut. His senator is Chris Dodd.

lazuris
07-29-2009, 3:07 PM
I'm gonna go out and buy his book today.

Cru Jones
07-29-2009, 3:23 PM

WOW!!! I posted about Glenns Book the other day in wich he champions gun rights, told you all to check him out and I was savaged by the soft left leaning RINO pseudo conservative gun toters on this site. Why the sudden change up? Where were you all then?

And yes Glenn is MY hero as well!! :D

I hear you. While I believe Glenn's deliveries leave something to be desired (he comes off as a goofball), his beliefs and ideas are right on. I defended him on a thread one time and had my head ripped off by a few people.

barrym66
07-29-2009, 8:47 PM
Connecticut. His senator is Chris Dodd.

I believe that he's mentioned several times on his radio show that he lives in Las Vegas...

yellowfin
07-29-2009, 9:08 PM
He was in Philadelphia for a number of years. I started listening to his radio show 6 or 7 years ago when it was broadcast from there.

gucci pilot
07-29-2009, 9:39 PM
I believe that he's mentioned several times on his radio show that he lives in Las Vegas...

A recovering alcoholic Mormon in Vegas? Yikes!

That's a pretty long commute to NYC.

nic
07-29-2009, 9:39 PM
As I was reading the Blog, I came across this person's quote. Has anyone ever heard of Professor Bogus' research, and this "Hidden History" article? Sounds like BS to me, and this professor is probably the same sort of person as Michael Bellesiles, but has anyone ever seen or heard of this?

Perry logan says:

Here's something gun proponents are sure to ignore.

Recent historical research indicates that the Second Amendment was passed, not to preserve our freedom, but to help the Southern states keep control over their slaves.

This means gun proponents have it 180 degrees wrong. The Second Amendment represents slavery, not freedom:

Second Amendment Rooted in Southern States' Control of Slavery, Academic Experts Say

Professor Bogus' article demonstrates that, during debate over the new Constitution, Southern states feared the proposed federal government would use its new powers to disarm their state militia, rendering the states defenseless against a slave rebellion. Guarding against such an insurrection was a core function of the militia. As the idea of outlawing slavery gained support in the North, Southerners worried that undermining the militia might be a back-door way to achieve this goal.

Scholars who endorse this new thesis include Pulitzer Prize winning historian Garry Wills, who agrees that James Madison was responding to this fear when he wrote the Second Amendment. "Carl Bogus gives a powerful answer to the problem of the Second Amendment," Wills states. "Madison was reassuring the states that had other uses for their well-regulated militias, including the internal policing of slave populations."

In his 99-page article, Professor Bogus reviews wide-ranging evidence--including an analysis of Madison's original language and an understanding of how he and other founders drew on England's Declaration of Rights. Madison's concern, Professor Bogus concludes, was not hunting, self-defense, national defense, or resistance to governmental tyranny, but slave control.

http://www.vpc.org/press/9805bog.htm

GoodEyeSniper
07-29-2009, 9:51 PM
I'd be surprised if it's not an American gun. I'd put my money on S&W M&P in .40.

I could see him rocking something a bit older, too. 1911, maybe a beretta :43:

GoodEyeSniper
07-29-2009, 10:00 PM
As I was reading the Blog, I came across this person's quote. Has anyone ever heard of Professor Bogus' research, and this "Hidden History" article? Sounds like BS to me, and this professor is probably the same sort of person as Michael Bellesiles, but has anyone ever seen or heard of this?

That sounds ridiculously bogus, wasn't it about 70 years between the constitution being written, and the Civil War? I understand the Civil War wasn't the only time the tension between north and south would've been around, but it certainly seems fishy.

nic
07-29-2009, 10:04 PM
^^^
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.
Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

yellowfin
07-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Considering the source, the VPC, you automatically know it's a worthless hit piece.

7x57
07-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Considering the source, the VPC, you automatically know it's a worthless hit piece.

But a good thing if it stirs some interest in the connection between gun control and slavery, and especially gun control and segregation. Do we want to go there? Why, yes, yes we do. We'll talk about that as much as they like. :43:

7x57

Theseus
07-29-2009, 11:07 PM

It links to the VPC!?

7x57
07-29-2009, 11:15 PM
It links to the VPC!?

Yeah. Given that the professor's name is "Bogus," I thought it was too obviously a joke at first. But there really is a professor at Roger Williams University School of Law named Carl T. Bogus (http://law.rwu.edu/directory/faculty/Bogus_C.aspx).

http://law.rwu.edu/content/images/directory/faculty/Bogus_C.jpg

Who knows what going through Jr. High with that name does to a person? :chris:

7x57

TurboS600
07-29-2009, 11:48 PM

Yeah, not like they are biased or anything.:puke: