PDA

View Full Version : PPT cost?

07-07-2005, 5:30 PM
i thought that an ffl could only charge $35 for a ppt. has there been a change in the law? thanks

dwtt
07-07-2005, 6:48 PM
Originally posted by cowboydude2:
i thought that an ffl could only charge $35 for a ppt. has there been a change in the law? thanks

There has not been any changes. It's still $35. Also, bring a copy of that booklet of CA firearms laws published by DOJ since many gun stores don't know the law and will make up stuff like 11-day waiting period, requiring you to buy a gun lock before processing the DROS, or forfeiting the gun to DOJ for destruction if your application is refused. Don't ask me how I know.

maxicon
07-08-2005, 8:58 AM
I'm assuming you mean face to face PPTs.

There are FFLs that tack on additional charges to make it worth their while or to discourage PPTs.

I've only got experience in the San Jose area, and here's what the shops have told me at various times. These may not be current practice, so I always ask before transferring at shop I haven't used recently.

Sportsmen's Supply charges extra for the handgun safe handling demo, and charges a "storage fee" on guns picked up after the 10 day waiting period.

Gun Exchange also charges a "storage fee", but on the 10 day wait.

Kerley's, Targetmasters, and Reed's have all transferred for me with no additional charge. Sometimes they complain a bit, especially if there are screwups, but they get the job done.

max

madkiwi
07-10-2005, 9:53 AM
It is $35 MAXIMUM.

See herehttp://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#8

Note the important bits:The State's DROS fee is $19.00 which covers the costs of the background checks and transfer registry. There is also a required $1.00 Firearms Safety Testing fee and a $5.00 Safety and Enforcement fee. If the transaction being processed is a dealer sale, consignment return, or return from pawn, the dealer may impose other charges as long as this amount is clearly shown as a "dealer fee" and not misrepresented as a state fee. In the event of a private party transfer, the firearms dealer may additionally charge a fee of $10 per firearm transferred.

Nylo
07-10-2005, 7:11 PM
Go to Big5. Its just $35.00. No other fees.... At least that was the situation the last time I used them.