PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics of 2010 OC Sheriff race about to change?

SteveH
07-28-2009, 2:09 PM
Bill Hunt appears to be running and Paul Walters appears uninterested.

But the OC Register reported today that Hutchens is about to let 2 assistant Sheriffs and 6 Captains go. if even one of those runs in 2010 OC could have a situation where it is Hutchens Vs Hunt Vs. Anderson. With the pro CCW vote being split between the Cops likely favorite Hunt and the Republican party favorite Anderson.

I believe Hutchens comes out on top in just about any 3-way race.

glbtrottr
07-28-2009, 2:15 PM
That presumes that Mr. Anderson can get the money and has the drive to do so. In my opinion, I've heard the word "bumbling" when referring to Jack far too many times.

While some in the CCW space are fairly friendly with Mr. Anderson, I don't know that I really see him getting substantial cashola, particularly given his recent showings at the Orange County Republican Party. After his "darth vader" cloak comments and Hutchens demagoguery, I'd say that he lost the vast majority of the CCW vote.

He could have been a man, and instead he opted to not only be a RINO, but while showing up to the above mentioned meetings as a "Member of the Republican Party" and *not* in his capacity as an assistant Sheriff, he proceeded to use CCW issuance numbers only available to the Sheriff in furthering his arguments against Sandy Hutchens to save her from a vote of no confidence.

He might have had a shot before his true colors showed. If he runs, it will be an embarrassment for him.

SteveH
07-28-2009, 2:21 PM
Unemployment can be a great motivator. This of course assumes Anderson is one of the brass about to get the axe.

It really comes down to who would Anderson take more votes away from, Hutchens or Hunt?

CWM4A1
07-28-2009, 2:36 PM
glbtrottr said it best. I would not vote for Anderson after his wonderful speech at that meeting. It also made me wonder where his position really is in regards to the CCW issuance policy. I would think Anderson is not that big on liberal CCW issuance as one should not abandon their principle in drop of a hat. Personally, I would not be satisfy with any Sheriff candidate that's in to maintain the same way CCW program was ran under Carona. I would expect better (more liberal) CCW issuance.

Doheny
07-28-2009, 2:42 PM
Before Hutchens was appointed, Anderson was telling the CCW crowd that he'd continue Carona's policies (that's why he was supported by CalCCW.) Who's to say if his anti CCW rhetoric we've heard lately is what he really feels or if he just singing off the same page as his boss, Hutchens.

There are plenty of Reps that don't care for Hutchens and are familiar with Anderson. I don't think he could win against her, if anything, he'd just take votes away from Hunt.

With that said, she could be bluffing regarding eliminating those positions, hoping to get more budget money from that Board. If she's not, she could keep Anderson around to ensure he does not run against her.

GJJ
07-28-2009, 2:43 PM
... I believe Hutchens comes out on top in just about any 3-way.

Please don't ever mention Hutchens and a 3-way ever again in the same sentence! I threw up a little in my mouth.

demnogis
07-28-2009, 2:56 PM
Hutchens was an affirmative-action appointee. She has no place being the sheriff for my county. In all honesty I wouldn't want someone without experience and with purely-political motivation in charge of the most controlling law enforcement agency in my county.

IGOTDIRT4U
07-28-2009, 3:04 PM
Please don't ever mention Hutchens and a 3-way ever again in the same sentence! I threw up a little in my mouth.

lol

OrangeCountyCCW
07-28-2009, 4:09 PM
While some in the CCW space are fairly friendly with Mr. Anderson, I don't know that I really see him getting substantial cashola, particularly given his recent showings at the Orange County Republican Party. After his "darth vader" cloak comments and Hutchens demagoguery, I'd say that he lost the vast majority of the CCW vote.

Let's not forget his comparing the appointed Sheriff to "Lady Justice" (in his claim that she does not view the names of CCW applicants) and his vociferous defense of her putting restrictions on the CCW of a Federal Flight Deck Officer (who, we presume, is now required to carry locked and unloaded to the airport, pass through security, and then load his or her firearm in the airport bathroom or cockpit).

Let's also not forget his literal sneering toward those supporters of CCW present, and his ad hominem attack on pro-CCW citizens when he said, "this is all about a certain person who is angry that he has lost his influence in the Department." As if CCW could not be the genuine concern of real citizens but rather had to be a stalking horse for other issues.

His behavior at the OC GOP Central Committee meeting showed Anderson to be about as anti-CCW as they come.

If he should declare his candidacy for Sheriff, the SAFE OC political action committee will not give him an audience, let alone support.

OrangeCountyCCW
07-28-2009, 4:14 PM
Before Hutchens was appointed, Anderson was telling the CCW crowd that he'd continue Carona's policies (that's why he was supported by CalCCW.) Who's to say if his anti CCW rhetoric we've heard lately is what he really feels or if he just singing off the same page as his boss, Hutchens.

It shouldn't matter. If he were truly pro-CCW, he could have come to the OC GOP Central Committee meeting as what he initially claimed -- "A member of the Committee and not an Assistant Sheriff" -- and then stay quiet. He chose to engage in a vociferous defense of Hutchens' policies and to sneer at CCW holders. His credibility is demolished and if he tries to claim a pro-CCW view now, it should be taken about as seriously as Obama's claim to "support the Second Amendment."

Glock22Fan
07-28-2009, 4:20 PM
That presumes that Mr. Anderson can get the money and has the drive to do so. In my opinion, I've heard the word "bumbling" when referring to Jack far too many times.

He could have been a man, and instead he opted to not only be a RINO, but while showing up to the above mentioned meetings as a "Member of the Republican Party" and *not* in his capacity as an assistant Sheriff, he proceeded to use CCW issuance numbers only available to the Sheriff in furthering his arguments against Sandy Hutchens to save her from a vote of no confidence.

He might have had a shot before his true colors showed. If he runs, it will be an embarrassment for him.

What information did he use that isn't, through a PRAR, available to the public?

OK, it sometimes takes perserverance and a knowledge of the system to extract this data, but it is public data except for information that might put a ccw holder at particular risk (e.g the start and end points of the route where the holder carries large sums of money).

Doheny
07-28-2009, 4:21 PM
It shouldn't matter. If he were truly pro-CCW, he could have come to the OC GOP Central Committee meeting as what he initially claimed -- "A member of the Committee and not an Assistant Sheriff" -- and then stay quiet. He chose to engage in a vociferous defense of Hutchens' policies and to sneer at CCW holders. His credibility is demolished and if he tries to claim a pro-CCW view now, it should be taken about as seriously as Obama's claim to "support the Second Amendment."

Agreed.

glbtrottr
07-28-2009, 5:16 PM
What information did he use that isn't, through a PRAR, available to the public?

The information wasn't the issue. His lack of honesty was - you don't get to say that you're there in your capacity as a member of the Republican Party and not as an Assistant Sheriff, and then proceed to detail your recent experiences as Assistant Sheriff complete with numericals so as to discredit others sharing their views and pushing your (substantial) weight around.

OrangeCountyCCW
07-28-2009, 6:04 PM
The information wasn't the issue. His lack of honesty was - you don't get to say that you're there in your capacity as a member of the Republican Party and not as an Assistant Sheriff, and then proceed to detail your recent experiences as Assistant Sheriff complete with numericals so as to discredit others sharing their views and pushing your (substantial) weight around.

EXACTLY. At that meeting, Anderson barked at another Committeemember who pointed out his status as Assistant Sheriff and claimed he was there only as a member of the Party, but then switched to citing and discussing internal Department procedures and business when it suited his argument.