PDA

View Full Version : Can you start paper work for a rifle before your dealer has it?

spunk2
07-28-2009, 8:48 AM
Can you start paper work for a rifle before your dealer has it?
If a rifle is being shipped from out of state, can you start paper work on the rifle before your receiving FFL has it?

I heard a dealer tell me that today. Seems a little odd.

69Mach1
07-28-2009, 8:50 AM
Yes, but it really depends on the dealer. Just make sure if it's a purchase from another FFL, that they send the CFLC paperwork as well.

TonyM
07-28-2009, 8:50 AM
Can you start paper work for a rifle before your dealer has it?
If a rifle is being shipped from out of state, can you start paper work on the rifle before your receiving FFL has it?

I heard a dealer tell me that today. Seems a little odd.

Yes, on rifles you can, if the FFL is okay with it. There is no serial number information required for a long gun DROS.

Handguns need to be in the FFL's possession so they can verify and enter the serial number in the DROS.

Some FFL's won't do it though, so it's about finding one that will.

sorensen440
07-28-2009, 8:51 AM
I thought the rifle had to be there for the dros to start

(I remember something along those lines from the nordyke dinner being mentioned)

pwall
07-28-2009, 8:52 AM
ammobros did a dros for me when an item wasn't in stock. Good guys!

HunterJim
07-28-2009, 9:16 AM
My dealer wants to have the serial number to start the paperwork.

jim

Cjones38
07-28-2009, 9:22 AM
I've heard of some suggesting against it. They didn't want me to pay for the transfer, then have something happen with the shipping, and the gun doesn't show up for months.

stag1500
07-28-2009, 9:27 AM
Dealers can start the DROS on rifles so long as they're certain that the rifle will arrive within 30 days of the DROS date. They can also start the DROS on a handgun if they can get the serial number from their distributor or where-ever the pistol is coming from. Ultimately, it's up to the discretion of the store owner.

CHS
07-28-2009, 9:30 AM
Dealers can start the DROS on rifles so long as they're certain that the rifle will arrive within 30 days of the DROS date. They can also start the DROS on a handgun if they can get the serial number from their distributor or where-ever the pistol is coming from. Ultimately, it's up to the discretion of the store owner.

I have done both for customers :)

gregorylucas
07-28-2009, 10:07 AM
The FFL's I have gone through will do it but are hesitant to because if the rifle dosen't get picked up within the 30 day DROS window they have to start over.

This can include delays in shipping, stock, whatever.

Greg

CHS
07-28-2009, 10:09 AM
The FFL's I have gone through will do it but are hesitant to because if the rifle dosen't get picked up within the 30 day DROS window they have to start over.

I just tell my customers that if the gun doesn't come in within that 30-day window, they'll have to pay another 25$ DROS fee and wait another 10 days.

For the few people that we've had to do that for, it has never been a problem.

Sgt Raven
07-28-2009, 10:44 AM

I've had an FFL do this for me.

SeanCasey
07-28-2009, 10:54 AM
I had this done when I bought my WASR-10. Worked out great!

timdps
07-28-2009, 11:53 AM
What about rifle and pistol receivers?

Hopi
07-28-2009, 11:58 AM
I had the DROS started while some OLLs were 'in transit' back in Oct/Nov '05 just to make sure I could claim them in case the hammer dropped on the '2-weeks' threat...