PDA

View Full Version : Observation/Question on Jams

Mugwump
04-10-2005, 9:45 PM
This past year I made an effort to purchase a variety of .308 and .223 rifles. One thing common to all of them is that they often jam. As a result, I've made an effort to learn to do as much of the repair/maintenance myself and try to keep them as clean as possible.

However, this got me to wondering what it would be like if I had to carry as a professional, such as a LEO or in the military. They must experience a higher number of problems than I often find on these boards since they (military) go through a higher number of rounds in a shorter period of time. This would be extremely concerning to have to rely on a piece of equipment that could protect my life, and not knowing if it was 100% reliable.

One thing in favor of the M1A and Cali-FAL, is that you have ready access to a jam since the top of the receiver is exposed. I would be somewhat more concerned if I was a professional carrying something like an HK product (MP5, G3). What do you do if one of those things jams?

I would assume LEOs have access to an armory that could work out most of the kinks, and keep them squeaky clean, however I would think the military, especially in Iraq, would be screwed with all of the dust and sand and the tolerances associated with US military rifles.

Any thoughts?

Mugwump
04-10-2005, 9:45 PM
This past year I made an effort to purchase a variety of .308 and .223 rifles. One thing common to all of them is that they often jam. As a result, I've made an effort to learn to do as much of the repair/maintenance myself and try to keep them as clean as possible.

However, this got me to wondering what it would be like if I had to carry as a professional, such as a LEO or in the military. They must experience a higher number of problems than I often find on these boards since they (military) go through a higher number of rounds in a shorter period of time. This would be extremely concerning to have to rely on a piece of equipment that could protect my life, and not knowing if it was 100% reliable.

One thing in favor of the M1A and Cali-FAL, is that you have ready access to a jam since the top of the receiver is exposed. I would be somewhat more concerned if I was a professional carrying something like an HK product (MP5, G3). What do you do if one of those things jams?

I would assume LEOs have access to an armory that could work out most of the kinks, and keep them squeaky clean, however I would think the military, especially in Iraq, would be screwed with all of the dust and sand and the tolerances associated with US military rifles.

Any thoughts?

Turbinator
04-10-2005, 10:35 PM
I'm curious what the nature of your stoppages might be - I've used a few .308's and .223's in my time and haven't had the problems you seem to be alluding to.

More details perhaps?

Turby

Mugwump
04-11-2005, 7:47 AM
Here's a couple examples:
M1A: When I first got my M1A, every other round would jam. Ended up being the extractor. After this was fixed, it operated pretty well for a while, and then started having problems with the last round stripping off the magazine, which until I figure out what's the deal, I'm going to assume has something to do with the curvature of the lips on a couple of magazines.

FAL: Doesn't jam quite as often, but I did have one casing jam so bad that I couldn't get it out at the range and had to wait till I got home to remove it.

Pthfndr
04-11-2005, 5:55 PM
Most malfunctions of civilian firearms of the FAL/AR/M1A type tend to be largely ammo or mag related.

I have an M4gery that has probably 10K rounds fired through it, many of them "rapid fire". I can honestly say I have never had a malf with true milspec ammo. I had two with some of my own reloads. And just yesterday I was getting a FTF on the 2nd round using some Santa Barbara (?) ammo that I have never used before. But I also have to say that rifle has about 2000 rounds through it with NO cleaning other than a bore snake down the pipe.

My 2 FAL type rifles, one DSA carbine and one Imbel based STG 58, have never had a failure. Ever. In over 10K rounds.

esskay
04-11-2005, 11:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mugwump:
Here's a couple examples:
M1A: When I first got my M1A, every other round would jam. Ended up being the extractor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is your M1A a commercial Springfield Armory? The guys on the M14 forums complain a lot about the extractors on SA's. A genuine USGI extractor is the cure!