PDA

View Full Version : AW ID question

Kestryll
07-27-2009, 4:42 PM
Okay, I received an email asking how to check and then legalize a preban AK.
I gave him the basics of it and asked for the make and model of the rifle.
I was told it is a Norinco MAK-91, this may be a rare bird.

I see Norinco NHM-91 and MAK-90 on the Roberti-Roos list but there is no listing of a MAK-91.

The MAK-91 seems to be an 'interim AK' as it has a thumbhole stock and no bayo lug or muzzle attachment.
http://www.ak-47.us/gear/Gear_Review_Detail.php?g=gear1146768913

Is this one clear to instal a standard stock and MMG and call it good?
I'm not seeing a reason not too unless it falls under 'Norinco AK-47 (All)' but it shouldn't since it has a specific model number and name.

This is not it but is a Norinco MAK-91:
http://61.129.89.199:8088/img/200807/18/22/2765726129498790646.jpg

leitung
07-27-2009, 5:00 PM
OOO.. this is a good one. I personally wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. But that's just me.

I am going to watch this thread with intrest.

professorhard
07-27-2009, 5:08 PM
I think I saw PRK selling a MAK-91 so I would assume that it is off-list and legal if properly configured.

Pvt. Cowboy
07-27-2009, 5:17 PM
Okay, I received an email asking how to check and then legalize a preban AK.
I gave him the basics of it and asked for the make and model of the rifle.
I was told it is a Norinco MAK-91, this may be a rare bird.

MAK-90 was stamped receiver.

MAK-91 was milled receiver that was the 'hunter' model.

That's what I remember, anyway.

CHS
07-27-2009, 5:23 PM
MAK-91 was milled receiver that was the 'hunter' model.

That's what I remember, anyway.

From the picture it definitely looks like a milled receiver.

Pvt. Cowboy
07-27-2009, 5:30 PM
From the picture it definitely looks like a milled receiver.

Monte Carlo thumbhole stock with rubber recoil pad too.

If it's not on the list, it's not on the list Kestryll.

EDIT: Seems that this fellow has a good page on 'post-ban' Chinese AKs. Looks like there was a milled MAK-90 as well, but the MAK-91 had a longer barrel and was marked as a 'precision rifle'. Heh.

http://home.comcast.net/~jfreeman16/page_2.htm

aplinker
07-27-2009, 5:58 PM
sweet gun and definitely legal.

A little scary, though! It's literally one away from an AW. :D

Pvt. Cowboy
07-27-2009, 6:01 PM
One *better* than a banned AW, that is. :D

6172crew
07-27-2009, 6:44 PM
I had one and it was marked nmh-91, norinko mak91 careful.

bwiese
07-27-2009, 6:47 PM
It's clearly not listed on any iteration of Roberti-Roos or Kasler lists.

There is a listing of Norinco NHM 91 Sport and a MAK 90.

There's no wishy-washy issue of "(all)" etc.

It's specifically NOT listed and the DOJ had a chance to list it from late 2000 up to beginning of 2007.

Ensure evil features removed or ensure a BulletButton is fitted w/10rd fixed mag and it's OK.

B Strong
07-27-2009, 6:50 PM
Monte Carlo thumbhole stock with rubber recoil pad too.

If it's not on the list, it's not on the list Kestryll.

EDIT: Seems that this fellow has a good page on 'post-ban' Chinese AKs. Looks like there was a milled MAK-90 as well, but the MAK-91 had a longer barrel and was marked as a 'precision rifle'. Heh.

http://home.comcast.net/~jfreeman16/page_2.htm

It's the post-ban version of the old "National Match" milled AK -I love how they threw the "NM" designation on an AK. Might as well build a "Formula 1" Saturn.

Pvt. Cowboy
07-27-2009, 9:28 PM
It's the post-ban version of the old "National Match" milled AK -I love how they threw the "NM" designation on an AK. Might as well build a "Formula 1" Saturn.

Remember back in the late Bush/early Clinton years it was all about 'competition/national match/sporter' on the side of all these thumbholed-up rifles? :D

I sort of stopped paying attention to thumbhole guns. Back then, it meant something. No other recourse except to keep it that way. You had to have Orangutan hands to use some of those awful thumbhole guns.

Kestryll
07-28-2009, 12:02 AM
It's clearly not listed on any iteration of Roberti-Roos or Kasler lists.

There is a listing of Norinco NHM 91 Sport and a MAK 90.

There's no wishy-washy issue of "(all)" etc.

It's specifically NOT listed and the DOJ had a chance to list it from late 2000 up to beginning of 2007.

Ensure evil features removed or ensure a BulletButton is fitted w/10rd fixed mag and it's OK.

This is exactly what I thought but given that this is not a forum member but someone who contacted me blind off the 'Contact Us' link I wanted to make sure I was reading things correctly.

It shouldn't be a surprise and I should be used to it by now but it still amuses me that people will use the Contact Us for things like this.
Shouldn't that be DOJ's job to answer these kinds of questions?

Kestryll
07-28-2009, 12:04 AM
I just got another email from him, this is what is on the side of the rifle
"National Match
MAK-91 7.62x39
JPE Pomona Ca."

This guy has that one Norinco that did not get named and IS legal.
Rare indeed. ;)

From this last email asking about buying parts I think he thinks Calguns is a parts and gun shop!

I need to set him straight on that.

SCMA-1
07-28-2009, 7:47 AM
I've got another very rare early post '89 ban AK. The receiver is stamped : "Norinco 756S7" and comes with a very nice and usable blonde finished thumbhole stock. Looking closely, you can tell that a "7" was stamped before and after "56S" which is the named Category 1 "Norinco 56S".

SCMA-1

Suvorov
07-28-2009, 8:15 AM
Shouldn't that be DOJ's job to answer these kinds of questions?

Yes, but it seems to me that the DOJ and people like Allison would rather burry their head in the ground (or lock themselves in their office and cry) and pretend Harrot vs. King and the whole OLL "thing" never happened, rather than do their job.

My tax dollars at work :mad:

69Mach1
07-28-2009, 8:25 AM
I've got another very rare early post '89 ban AK. The receiver is stamped : "Norinco 756S7" and comes with a very nice and usable blonde finished thumbhole stock. Looking closely, you can tell that a "7" was stamped before and after "56S" which is the named Category 1 "Norinco 56S".

SCMA-1

They did that to get it out of customs and the BATF hold. Legal as it's not a 56S, just like the HK 911 is not a 91. I need to find one. There's also an UF version restamped "156S1.

69Mach1
07-28-2009, 8:27 AM
I just got another email from him, this is what is on the side of the rifle
"National Match
MAK-91 7.62x39
JPE Pomona Ca."

This guy has that one Norinco that did not get named and IS legal.
Rare indeed. ;)

From this last email asking about buying parts I think he thinks Calguns is a parts and gun shop!

I need to set him straight on that.

The Norinco MAK 91 is a beautiful milled Chinese Kashnikov. It's actually made by the Polytech factory in China. 100 percent "off list".

motorhead
07-28-2009, 9:46 AM
OMG! the holy friggin grail. milled chinese. (not a legend but still milled chinese)
does DOJ actually have a job?

chris
07-28-2009, 1:52 PM
it sure looks like a milled reciever to me. picture not the greatest though.

MrClamperSir
07-28-2009, 2:19 PM

Would it have to be 10rd? It is preban, I would imagine the owner would have standard cap mags.

bwiese
07-28-2009, 2:32 PM
Would it have to be 10rd?
It is preban, I would imagine the owner would have standard cap mags.

Please avoid terms 'preban' & 'postban' in relation to CA AWs.
Those are essentially irrelevant and are best left to describe configurationsin relation to the expired/sunset Fed AW ban.

You cannot use a BulletButton + hicap mag in a semiauto centerfire rifle unless it were registered as an assault weapon.

And if it actually were reg'd as an AW, no sane person would put a fixed magazine on it.

windjohn
02-18-2011, 5:42 PM
I purchased from a dealer in CA also the National Match MAK-91 7.62x39 JPE Pomona Ca. rifle before the ban. My friend tells me this gun is illegal, but if I'm reading this correctly, because of the NM markings it is considered a National Match Rifle and not an AW. Its been in storage all these years and was trying to figure out if I could shoot it legally in CA. (purchased around 97)
Thanks
William

jtmkinsd
02-18-2011, 6:44 PM
Would it have to be 10rd? It is preban, I would imagine the owner would have standard cap mags.

Unless it was a RAW (which doesn't seem to be the case here) it would have to have a mag lock (thumbhole stock = evil feature).

mag lock + large cap mag = AW

MasterYong
02-18-2011, 6:47 PM
Unless it was a RAW (which doesn't seem to be the case here) it would have to have a mag lock (thumbhole stock = evil feature).

mag lock + large cap mag = AW

You're answering a question that was asked an answered two years ago, dude.

That being said, I'm typing on an iphone so can someone with a real keyboard help out the first guy to post in this thread this year with the flowchart, features, bb, etc?

jtmkinsd
02-18-2011, 7:01 PM
You're answering a question that was asked an answered two years ago, dude.

That being said, I'm typing on an iphone so can someone with a real keyboard help out the first guy to post in this thread this year with the flowchart, features, bb, etc?

LMAO...I didn't even realize it.

windjohn, to answer your question, yes, with the identification you gave you can use the firearm...but, because of the thumbhole stock you would need to have a mag lock installed and only use 10 round mags. My advice to you is to remove the stock A.S.A.P. (if it is completely assembled, and doesn't have a mag lock, it is an AW by definition). Take the receiver/barrel to a gunsmith and have them install a mag lock. DO NOT TRANSPORT THE FIREARM IN AN ASSEMBLED CONDITION

If you want to avoid the mag lock you could just put a regular stock on it and use large cap mags if you own them. :D

MP301
02-19-2011, 2:34 AM
LMAO...I didn't even realize it.

windjohn, to answer your question, yes, with the identification you gave you can use the firearm...but, because of the thumbhole stock you would need to have a mag lock installed and only use 10 round mags. My advice to you is to remove the stock A.S.A.P. (if it is completely assembled, and doesn't have a mag lock, it is an AW by definition). Take the receiver/barrel to a gunsmith and have them install a mag lock. DO NOT TRANSPORT THE FIREARM IN AN ASSEMBLED CONDITION

If you want to avoid the mag lock you could just put a regular stock Monsterman grip on it and use large cap mags if you own them. :D

Fixed it for you!

jtmkinsd
02-19-2011, 3:18 AM
Fixed it for you!

How do you do that with a wooden thumbhole stock??

goober
02-19-2011, 8:45 AM
How do you do that with a wooden thumbhole stock??

plug the thumbhole w/ an insert.
or change to a std stock w/ MM.

jl123
02-19-2011, 2:50 PM
^^^I'm assuming you had it stored outside of California and disassembled it to bring it back in, otherwise you may have just admitted to a crime. Deleting that post would probably be a good idea.

jtmkinsd
02-19-2011, 3:49 PM
^^^I'm assuming you had it stored outside of California and disassembled it to bring it back in, otherwise you may have just admitted to a crime. Deleting that post would probably be a good idea.

Garbage...the fact you're assuming things that haven't been stated is clear enough that no "crime" was admitted to. While there are instances where it's prudent to delete a post (they're a lot more rare than many think)...this is hardly one of them.

jl123
02-19-2011, 3:54 PM
Garbage...the fact you're assuming things that haven't been stated is clear enough that no "crime" was admitted to. While there are instances where it's prudent to delete a post (they're a lot more rare than many think)...this is hardly one of them.

Better to be safe than sorry in this state when it comes to things like this. Notice that he deleted the post.