PDA

View Full Version : What did you guys use to tighten down the castle nut on AR 15?

bin31z
07-27-2009, 3:48 PM
I've checked online at many different sites (midway, brownell, etc) and I can't seem to find a good tool to tightened down the castle nut on the collapsible AR15 stock. I seem a couple of tools, but they all seem very flimsy and all the reviews of them seem to be very negative and complain about how they break. Also, the tools that I found online don't seem to stable whether the tool is for a commerical spec or mil spec buffer tube. I'm so confused! Help! What tool did you guys use??

Plisk
07-27-2009, 3:50 PM
My gunsmith did, and told me to take something like a big pin punch or an allen wrench, angle it into the notch on the nut and use a hammer to tighten it. Thats how I did mine.

Trench Broom
07-27-2009, 3:55 PM
DOH! I never even thought of that method!

technique
07-27-2009, 3:57 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=218355

Most Multi Ar15 tools have one

lawaia
07-27-2009, 3:57 PM
This.

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=235

aplinker
07-27-2009, 3:58 PM
http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_229865_imageset_01?$main-Small$

You can find them for about $6-8.

technique
07-27-2009, 3:58 PM
My gunsmith did, and told me to take something like a big pin punch or an allen wrench, angle it into the notch on the nut and use a hammer to tighten it. Thats how I did mine.

A gunsmith did that? Was he staking it? Or tightening it?

jvquattro
07-27-2009, 3:59 PM
You can use one of these. Should be available at online shops?

http://www.opticstore.com/TARW.jpg

07-27-2009, 3:59 PM
I used the cheap DPMS wrench. It was about $9.00

aplinker
07-27-2009, 4:01 PM

That's not tightening, that's staking.

You do that AFTER it's tightened.

You can not get sufficient tightening through the use of a hammer.

djleisure
07-27-2009, 4:38 PM
Vice grips and a rag - works fine for me.

asgalindez
07-27-2009, 4:40 PM
That's not tightening, that's staking.

You do that AFTER it's tightened.

You can not get sufficient tightening through the use of a hammer.

I believe he was referring to how the gunsmith tightened it without a wrench. Hand tighten, then tap it over some more with a punch/allen wrench. It's kinda ghetto, but sounds like it would work.

ar15barrels
07-27-2009, 4:47 PM
I believe he was referring to how the gunsmith tightened it without a wrench. Hand tighten, then tap it over some more with a punch/allen wrench. It's kinda ghetto, but sounds like it would work.

He may be referring to that.
It's absolutely ghetto.
It's NOT going to be tight enough.

aplinker
07-27-2009, 5:21 PM
He may be referring to that.
It's absolutely ghetto.
It's NOT going to be tight enough.

and the guy was no gunsmith.

B Strong
07-27-2009, 5:35 PM
I've checked online at many different sites (midway, brownell, etc) and I can't seem to find a good tool to tightened down the castle nut on the collapsible AR15 stock. I seem a couple of tools, but they all seem very flimsy and all the reviews of them seem to be very negative and complain about how they break. Also, the tools that I found online don't seem to stable whether the tool is for a commerical spec or mil spec buffer tube. I'm so confused! Help! What tool did you guys use??

Castle nut wrench has always worked for me.

This one works:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=978082

Plisk
07-27-2009, 5:44 PM

I was, it was hand tightened then he used that method to get it a bit tighter. He didn't have access to an actualy castle nut wrench, he did with what he could.

Pvt. Cowboy
07-27-2009, 6:05 PM
I'm so confused! Help! What tool did you guys use??

I use a gunsmithing hammer and a bamboo chopstick for this job.

I put the pointy end of the chopstick in a lug hole and whack the crap out of it until the castle nut is on tight. If it ever comes loose, I get my chopstick and hammer and whack it tight again. If I ever run out of chopsticks because they're all hammered to crap, I order more Chinese take-out and make sure to ask them for a whole bunch of chopsticks.

missiontrails
07-27-2009, 6:32 PM
If you go Barney Rubble on the castle nut with a punch and hammer to "tighten" it, you will have a mess. The OP HAD to be refering to staking. Hell, I can hold the lower between my knees and tighten the piss out of a castle nut with the same wrench that UCLA showed in the picture. I have never needed to stake one. However, I did make one more permanent than I liked once by using too much blue locktite.

aplinker
07-27-2009, 6:35 PM
If you go Barney Rubble on the castle nut with a punch and hammer to "tighten" it, you will have a mess. The OP HAD to be refering to staking. Hell, I can hold the lower between my knees and tighten the piss out of a castle nut with the same wrench that UCLA showed in the picture. I have never needed to stake one. However, I did make one more permanent than I liked once by using too much blue locktite.

You simply haven't had enough sustained use. Everything will come loose eventually without staking and/or loctite.

missiontrails
07-27-2009, 6:43 PM
You simply haven't had enough sustained use. Everything will come loose eventually without staking and/or loctite.

That is also true. The only punch I don't own is a ***** punch.

bin31z
07-27-2009, 7:45 PM
So is it ok to use some blue loctite on the threads?

missiontrails
07-27-2009, 7:51 PM
So is it ok to use some blue loctite on the threads?

The only time I have used "the blue" on a castle nut, I had to "sacrifice" the receiver extension to disassemble it. I will stake next time I build a keeper. My Noveske came staked from the factory.

bin31z
07-27-2009, 7:56 PM
The only time I have used "the blue" on a castle nut, I had to "sacrifice" the receiver extension to disassemble it. I will stake next time I build a keeper. My Noveske came staked from the factory.

What does it mean to "stake" it. I'm a newb, please enlighten me!

missiontrails
07-27-2009, 8:27 PM

Take a $4 ***** punch (not a center punch), Locate possitions on the end plate directly stright accross the square notches in the castle nut, place the punch about 1/16" in from the edge of your chosen locations, and hit the punch hard enough to deform the metal from the endplate into the square open areas of the castle nut. When done right, it should require 1 smack with the hammer per location. Now, because the castle nut has metal from the endplate pushed into the notches, it should not loosten.

technique
07-27-2009, 8:34 PM
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11642/guntechdetail/Assembling_the_Mil_Spec_Telescoping_Buttstock

dawson8r
07-27-2009, 8:47 PM
Most castle nuts for the M4 stock have 2 sets of notches. The larger set of notches facing the butt of the stock are for tightening with the castle nut wrench. The smaller set of notches facing the receiver end plate are for staking.

To stake, take a small punch and place it on the receiver end plate adjacent to the small notch. Give it a good whack. Repeat adjacent to each small notch. The idea is to displace enough material to keep the castle nut from becoming loose. MAKE SURE YOU ARE STAKING BETWEEN THE RECEIVER END PLATE AND THE CASTLE NUT AND NOT THE RECEIVER!!

More info...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=445218

bin31z
07-27-2009, 9:01 PM
Awesome info guys! My castle nut does not have the cut outs for the staking but I figure a good wack with the punch should force some material from the retainer plate into the castle nut, enough to keep it from coming loose anyways.

norcal-ar
07-27-2009, 9:05 PM

bought one of those for $5 at my local ffl.

Darklyte27
07-27-2009, 9:13 PM
my teeth

kazman
07-27-2009, 9:40 PM
Mine kept coming loose after a range session even trying an adj wrench on it. So I bought a $5 castle wrench at the last SJ Gun Show from one of those vendors that that every conceivable AR part in stock.

rosiekai
07-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Is it possible to "unstake" a castle nut?

technique
07-27-2009, 10:05 PM

yes.

missiontrails
07-27-2009, 10:17 PM
For $4, you just crank off the old one and buy a new one. Buy a new $5 end plate while you are at it.

evollep3
07-27-2009, 10:18 PM
i have these wrenches online in stock if you need one

ar15barrels
07-27-2009, 10:47 PM

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/castle-nut-stake.jpg

missiontrails
07-27-2009, 10:51 PM
http://ar15barrels.com/tech/castle-nut-stake.jpg
Randall, that looks better than what a ***** punch can do, what type of punch did you use for that?

ar15barrels
07-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Randall, that looks better than what a ***** punch can do, what type of punch did you use for that?

It's done with a square punch that's ground like the end/edge of a large screwdriver.

Trendkill
07-27-2009, 11:45 PM

Yeah....that looks good.

Steve O
07-28-2009, 12:57 AM

Unless your at a gun show. Then there $19.99

kicker72
07-28-2009, 3:26 AM
Castle nut wrench;)

oaklander
07-28-2009, 4:37 AM
I used a hammer and screwdriver to tighten mine. Ghetto yes. Oakland rules!!!

LOL

swerv512
07-28-2009, 5:18 AM
i've never used anything but a castle nut wrench to tight the stock castle nut. in fact, the multi-tool came with my upper for free!

MrLogan
07-28-2009, 6:52 AM
I've got the castle nut wrench, which I used to tighten the castle nut.

bin31z
07-28-2009, 7:57 AM
This is so much trouble, I wish someone would just do this for me...sigh

Stealth
07-28-2009, 8:33 AM

I got the buttstock tool I found on bravo company's site. The wrench is solid. It worked great for my milspec buttstock on my m4.

AlliedArmory
07-28-2009, 9:28 AM
multi tool

Henry47
07-28-2009, 10:34 AM

where are you located? pm me and ill help you out if you're close to me

Grumpyoldretiredcop
07-28-2009, 10:48 AM

Use the correct wrench. Driving the nut with a punch can will damage the nut and can damage the barrel extension threads.

The wrenches aren't huge pieces of equipment because the torque spec for the castle nut is 40 inch-pounds. It doesn't matter whether you have a milspec or commercial part, the driving notches are the same. You do have to pay attention when using the wrench as the driving notches are small and the wrench can easily slip out.

aplinker
07-28-2009, 2:22 PM

You want them to shoot it for you, drive your car, and screw your girl, too? :43:

MAN UP! Tools are cool. :D ;)

jchen76@gmail.com
07-28-2009, 2:32 PM
I've had my castle nut installed by a gunsmith with the multi tool, but over time it started to loosen up. So I bought the tool mentioned, and prior to tightening the castle nut, I put a couple drops of blue loctite (non permanent) on the buffer tube threads. So far, no issues with it the nut backing out.

bin31z
07-28-2009, 2:44 PM
You want them to shoot it for you, drive your car, and screw your girl, too? :43:

MAN UP! Tools are cool. :D ;)

haha, I got the tool, two of them in fact just in case one of them doesn't work. a multi tool and a standard crappy one. I think I'ma just go with blue loctite to keep this thing one. I mean, when are you really going to be taking off the buffer tube anyways?

aplinker
07-28-2009, 2:50 PM
haha, I got the tool, two of them in fact just in case one of them doesn't work. a multi tool and a standard crappy one. I think I'ma just go with blue loctite to keep this thing one. I mean, when are you really going to be taking off the buffer tube anyways?

Do it right. Stake it. Staking is REALLY easy.

Loctite isn't the right choice for this job.

bin31z
07-28-2009, 3:30 PM

my castle nut does not have the cut outs on the side facing the receiver for staking.

aplinker
07-28-2009, 3:54 PM
my castle nut does not have the cut outs on the side facing the receiver for staking.

Buy one that does. Where did you buy that castle nut from? What buttstock? Airsoft??

bin31z
07-28-2009, 6:51 PM
i got the all the components from brownells.

bin31z
07-28-2009, 6:52 PM
what year did you go to UCLA, uclaplinker? i assume that is why your name is what it is.

kicker72
07-28-2009, 9:10 PM

what he said :cool:

NotEnoughGuns
07-28-2009, 10:22 PM

Why?

Either method works. You guys are really retentive.

ar15barrels
07-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Use the correct wrench. Driving the nut with a punch can will damage the nut and can damage the barrel extension threads.

The wrenches aren't huge pieces of equipment because the torque spec for the castle nut is 40 inch-pounds.

Try 40 ft-lbs. ;)

ar15barrels
07-28-2009, 11:34 PM

heh, if she's not too ugly, I'll help with that last one...

roc
07-29-2009, 12:33 AM
i had one of these laying around and it works well. (the big orange one)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/94100-94199/94119.gif

$5 at harbor freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94119

ar15barrels
07-29-2009, 12:59 AM
i had one of these laying around and it works well.

Yep, those are great for tightening a water filter.
Not so good for stock castle nuts though.

roc
07-30-2009, 1:18 AM
Yep, those are great for tightening a water filter.
Not so good for stock castle nuts though.

have you tried it? if you have then you would know that it works very well. if you have not, go hog wild with your water filter.

since the OP is asking what he can use to tighten the castle nut I am assuming that he is really asking what he can use INSTEAD of a castle nut wrench.

ar15barrels
07-30-2009, 3:13 PM
have you tried it? if you have then you would know that it works very well.

I have one.
It's only good for about 5-10 ft-lbs on a castle nut.
While that MAY be tight enough for someone that does not really USE the gun, it's certainly not good enough for someone that wants the receiver extension to be solid.

Strap wrenches work great for tightening the lock ring on a LaRue or Armalite handguard though as those nuts are much larger in diameter and wider, giving much more traction for the strap.

big al
07-30-2009, 7:34 PM
ordered a wrench from rifle gear, and was able to tighten the nut very well. i did not stake or put loctite at all, but it's still solid up to now.

aplinker
07-31-2009, 2:09 AM
sigh...

Why do people ask questions and ignore the correct answers?

:shrug: oh well.

All unstaked carbine stocks will loosen with time, no matter how much you tighten them. It's only a matter of time.

bombadillo
07-31-2009, 8:21 AM
DPMS multi tool. Works like a wonder.

bin31z
08-01-2009, 9:49 PM
I got the DPMS multitool. WOW, its so thick. Can't wait to my receiver plate from midwayusa.

Tragic Image
08-01-2009, 9:59 PM
WOW, its so thick.

thats what she said...

no really... the DPMS multi-tool is great, its what I've used on my last few builds.

I would love to stake mine, but I have a Daniel Defense reciever QD that I'd hate to put punch marks in...

why do I care about looks? Cause mine hasn't loosened up yet.

will it? you bet.

Lone_Gunman
08-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Use the correct tool for the job. Why stake it? Well i guess you don't really have to if you don't care if it eventually works it's way loose and the gun ceases to function properly. Mine is tightened to spec and staked because in my opinion a weapon you can't depend on is almost worse than no weapon at all. Take care of your rifle and it will take care of you.

Tragic Image
08-02-2009, 12:16 AM
I dunno, I guess with proper preventative maintenance, I don't plan on it loosening up really quick where I wouldn't notice...

My AR isn't a survival weapon. Its a hobby for me. I shoot it, I clean it, check it, then I shoot it some more later on, then I clean it some more and check it out some more....

not everything people do is for a total SHTF situation, or home invasion...

Lone_Gunman
08-02-2009, 12:28 AM
It's not a survival weapon till you need it to survive. Then it is.

Tragic Image
08-02-2009, 12:42 AM
It's not a survival weapon till you need it to survive. Then it is.

thats deep man. :D

But all I'm trying to say is that not every one is out for the same thing with their weapons.

I personally dont feel like I need to stake my castle nut to make it reliable. In the first 500 rounds I've fired on this build, its been tight every time I've taken a wrench to it...

ar15barrels
08-02-2009, 12:50 AM
I personally dont feel like I need to stake my castle nut to make it reliable.

In the first 500 rounds I've fired on this build, its been tight every time I've taken a wrench to it...

Indeed you don't.
You are a gun owner, not a shooter. ;)

Lone_Gunman
08-02-2009, 12:50 AM
Fair enough. Im kind of a "whatever can go wrong will go wrong" kind of guy when it comes to guns and other equipment. Part of the fun for me is making it as fail proof as I can, hence the staked castle nut and KNS anti rotation pins on my build.

Tragic Image
08-02-2009, 12:54 AM
Indeed you don't.
You are a gun owner, not a shooter. ;)

HAHA OUCH!

yea, I understand the Murphy's Law philosophy. I partially suscribe to it, but I honestly never ever plan on using my AR in a survival, go-to capacity.

Stormfeather
08-02-2009, 9:32 AM
What did you guys use to tighten down the castle nut on AR 15?

Duct Tape

bin31z
08-02-2009, 3:04 PM
Duct Tape

that'll work! haha, that really would work pretty well though.

Plisk
08-02-2009, 3:35 PM
that'll work! haha, that really would work pretty well though.

:useless:

Redchevyman
08-02-2009, 3:55 PM
I have some of the TAPCO castle nut wrenches available for $7.99 each if anyone needs on. They are not on my web site at this time but will be when I start selling complete upper receivers in the next couple of weeks.
PM me if you need a wrench before then.
http://www.tapco.com/show_image.aspx?id=11104950-8dcf-4420-97e7-7417b5b88291