PDA

View Full Version : Glock 22 wont run

stillbigmac
06-28-2005, 2:40 PM
Just had a cop come in and ask me about his well broke in glockk 22 isn't fully ejecting.

He is describing a spent shell not quite flipping out of the chamber and then feeding in a new round.

He says it has 3000 rds through it since he bought it used.

What is normally the cause of this type of problem?

CaliTheKid
06-28-2005, 3:26 PM
80% of the time is is a weak magazine spring. Start there.

BigAL
06-28-2005, 3:29 PM
extractor look ok? not chipped, bent, or broken? I'm assuming he knows not to load the gun by dropping the slide on a loaded chamber. Did you strip the slide down to make sure it wasn't fouled to the point it would affect function? is the cop using the same ammo or something different? these are all questions that could lead to an answer.

50 Freak
06-28-2005, 4:05 PM
3,000 + rounds in a glock is nothing. Hell even 10,000 rounds is nothing. I agree with checking the extracter.

Problem with glocks is that your not supposed to drop the slide with a round already in the chamber, does something or bends the extracter over a period of time. That may explain the weak extraction.

fishnfst
06-28-2005, 4:12 PM
Originally posted by 50 Freak:
3,000 + rounds in a glock is nothing. Hell even 10,000 rounds is nothing. I agree with checking the extracter.

Problem with glocks is that your not supposed to drop the slide with a round already in the chamber, does something or bends the extracter over a period of time. That may explain the weak extraction.

You aren't supposed to drop the slide on any controlled round feed type gun... It is hard for the extractor to "pop" over the rim of the case. Is he shooting full power ammo? There are only a few things that could be the problem... Is the brass hitting the slide on its way out? Is it a double ramp feed that he is experiencing? Is something knocking the spent casing off or moving it so it doens't hit the ejector squarely? Is the ejector bent or overly worn... I have 60,000 rounds through some of my glocks and have yet to have an ejection issue besides the time one of my frame rails delaminated. Is the chamber so dirty that it is gripping the spent case? Is there adequate extractor tension on the case?

stillbigmac
06-28-2005, 4:45 PM
Wow thats alot of questions..

I haven't seen the pistol yet. I asked him to bring it in so I could see it.

He says it will hand cycle amunition just fine. The amunition was a winchester veriety. He said the same mags feed fine in his 23 but in the 22 hes haveing trouble.

Trader Jack
06-28-2005, 6:49 PM
five will get you ten it is the extractor.

gunsmithcat
06-28-2005, 9:45 PM
A little off topic but Just met Martin today during closing hours. A real pleasure sir. Hopefully I can come in again sometime in the future.
To anyone near the fremont area, you should drop by bigmac's store.

Turbinator
06-29-2005, 9:43 AM
Martin's a great guy, it's a darn shame what happened to his store earlier (the burglary). I propose all in the local vicinity get out to meet Martin when you get a chance!

Turby

fishnfst
06-29-2005, 4:44 PM
Always looking for new stores. I take it you are a LGS. Where are you located?

Sorry about all of the questions.. Extraction can be a bear. There are so many variables to be considered. I forgot to ask what generation is teh extractor? The easiest way is to just replace the ejector and then extractor and then the bearing and spring. See if the problem recurrs and then take it from there. Make sure the gun is cleaned well and lightly oiled....

Turbinator
06-30-2005, 9:28 AM
Bigmac's store is in Fremont, CA. It is called Irvington Arms and is at 40927 Grimmer Blvd, Fremont, CA, 94538. Phone number is (510) 226 7910.

Give him a call or drop on in!

Turby

stillbigmac
07-01-2005, 10:51 AM
I still haven't seen the cop with the gun yet. I ordered him a new front sight, so he is coming back with the pistol, I hope.

I haven't been to the armorers class yet, is there a difference beteen generation extractors?

fishnfst
07-08-2005, 4:43 AM
Yes there is a difference in extractors... What generation gun does he have? Don't hold me too it but I think there are 2 different 9mm extractors and 3 .40 extractors....... Some of the differences are easily noticeable by just looking at slide cut... I'll see if I can find some pics of the different 5degree and 15 degree cuts....

stillbigmac
07-08-2005, 6:13 AM
yep, theres some differences. I was talking with my Glock sales rep yesterday and he gave my the new bearing I will need when I install his new xtractor.

It musta been kinda funny, the look on my face when the rep told me I needed to change a bearing in a glock ????? I was thinking little round steel ball.. not a plastic spring plunger cap.

monkey
07-10-2005, 8:05 AM
To add to the pot: Definitely the extractor and more likely the extractor spring. If you remove the back plate on the slide and pull out the extractor spring, there should be a plastic plug on the end of it. 80% of the time, that is missing on a pre-owned gun. That thing tends to shoot right off when removed and users don't realize how vital that plug is to proper extraction. The plug is a tension booster and without it you'll get just the type of malf you described. If he brings the gun in, check that out. If that's all okay, then do check the ejector for breakage. Doubt it's a magazine issue as the mag doesn't cause a failure to eject. I've been working on Glocks for 15 years, seen this a lot over that time and it's the first thing I look for when I hear of this malf.

bu-bye
07-10-2005, 2:04 PM
Oh man the first time I took down my glock slide in the living room I lost that little black plug thing. I told my wife she could not vac the room until it was found. One and a half weeks later and a pissed off wife I found it. It takes some skill removing the back plate and keeping the spring from shooting to the moon.

rawny@mac.com
07-11-2005, 5:37 AM
You can prevent future incidents by removing the extractor first. Thereby reliefing the tension on the spring.

Turbinator
07-11-2005, 8:38 AM
Originally posted by bu-bye:
Oh man the first time I took down my glock slide in the living room I lost that little black plug thing. I told my wife she could not vac the room until it was found. One and a half weeks later and a pissed off wife I found it. It takes some skill removing the back plate and keeping the spring from shooting to the moon.

I've read that you should always take down small parts in a clear plastic bag, that way if any small bits go flying out, you have a pretty good chance of capturing them before it's too late. It's worked for me thus far!

Turby

fishnfst
07-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Just keep your thumb over the rear plate when you are sliding it out and nothing will come shooting out of the back of your slide....

Turbinator
07-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by tooTactical:
But my mother always told me not to put plastic bags over my head...

Is that 'cuz she always used brown paper for you instead? Hah hah! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Ok, just kidding...

Turby

50 Freak
07-28-2005, 1:12 PM
Originally posted by tooTactical:
But my mother always told me not to put plastic bags over my head...

Is that 'cuz she always used brown paper for you instead? Hah hah! Ok, just kidding...

BBBRRRAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH http://www.calguns.net/laughroll.gifhttp://www.calguns.net/laughroll.gif